Important Survey - Please Participate ×

help to get off of xanax please

[ro...]

I was given xanax after becoming ill on 800 milligrams of neurontin three times a day. I quit neurontin cold not knowing any better. I went through withdrawl and ended up in the er with a uti and nausea panic hot cold crazy.

After that I was given 3 mil of xanax a day and 100 mil of lyrica three a day. Lyrica also made me ill and I tapered off a month ago but still feel not over it. I also tapered down 1 xanax leaving me with 2 1 milligrams that I spread out .75 am .50 afternoon and .75 bedtime.

I would like to get off of xanax as I never had anxiety or panic untill that withdrawl from neurontin.I was in an accident in 2005 where a sound system fell on my head and herneiated two discs in my neck which I had fused. Number 4 is buldging as is lumbar 5 and 6. I do take 1 ultram er and zanaflex and betta blocker for high blood presssure and tylenol. I go to physical therapy and try to help myself as much as possible. dropping the 1 pill was hard for me and its been three weeks and I feel jittery nausea and just nervous. Please give me any advice.

I don't think my doc really wants me to go off as I told him I didn't really want to need xanax but now I do.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ro...]

• [Pa...]

• [gu...]

• [Pe...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello roxiesmom, Welcome to Benzobuddies!

My you've certainly had a rough time of it, but it sounds as if you've done a great job in getting off of the medications that might have been causing you problems.  We'll be happy to help you taper off the rest of the Xanax and support you through the process. 

What you're feeling sounds very much like withdrawal symptoms, we're very familiar with them.  We usually suggest tapering at a rate of 10% every couple of weeks, nice and slow.  How long did it take you to taper the 1 mg, this might be what is causing you to feel this way.

Welcome and please ask questions, we're here to help.

Pam

Hi Roxiesmom:

Pam is right it does sound like you are experiencing symptoms due to your benzo use.  There isn't any point in my asking the same questions she did, so I will just confine myself to saying:  Welcome to Benzo Buddies.

ntw

Hi roxiesmom,

Welcome to Benzobuddies! You will get alot of help and support if you decide to taper off he rest of he xanax, you will find alot of helpful informatin on the forum so please feel free to have a look around, if you have any questions please ask!

love lynn xx   :smitten:

[53...]

Welcome roxiesmom-

You have been through an ordeal...very sorry about that. Please let us know if you need help with a taper plan.....wishing you well.

Just Breathe :)

I ordered the 100 milligram test tube I will need from amazon last night. I think I dropped the 1 milligram to fast. I lost 1/4 of my am dose 1/2 of the afternoon and 1/4 of the bedtime one over a month while still feeling ill from coming off of lyrica. I think I need to wait a bit till I feel a little better and then begin to taper from the two milligrams.

I would like a taper schedule and advice if I shoud begin soon or wait and do you all tell yourself the holidays are too stressful of a time or is that just an excuse to not get busy and do it?

I take .75 am .50 afternoon and .75 bedtime. How do I taper from this? Thank you to all who have taken the time to talk to me I am very grateful to you all.

I have been on xanax for just about a year this month.

Hi roxismom,

You have a couple of choices here, you can titrate but for now I feel you should be able to dry cut your doses.  You could cut one of your doses by a quarter and hold it for a week to two, then keep doing the same thing.  If after you got down to a very low dose you decided to titrate then we could help you do that.

If you do decide you'd like to titrate it will take quite awhile but of course if this is what you want to do then we'll help you. 

As for the holidays.....there's never a good time to be miserable and withdrawing from benzo's is miserable.  Only you can make that decision, but you might want to think about how you feel on the drug.  Will you feel better when you start eliminating it from your body?

Whatever you decide to do, we're here to help.  :thumbsup:

Pam

I will try to dry cut as you say pam. I cut 1/4 off of the am dose and will hold this for I or two weeks depending on how I feel right? At what point should I mix my dose with water or does not everyone need to do this?

After quitting neurontin and lyrica I was very ill each time for about three months. With the neurontin I went down 20 pounds and was just ill all through thanksgiving and christmas last year.

So I want to do whatever is easiest on my body and mind. I am hoping that having been on xanax only one year it may not be too terrible.

Thank you for your advice and help.

A year is a long time to be on a benzo, it's only suggested to be on it for 2 to 4 weeks.  This process will be difficult for you so if you'd rather wait until after the holidays, that's fine.  Well support you whatever you decide.

Not everyone feels the need to titrate, some dry cut all the way down to freedom.  If you find your symptoms too hard to manage, then we can help you titrate.  Some say it's a smoother journey because you're making daily reductions instead of once every couple of weeks.

Let us know what you want to do, we're here for you.  :smitten:

[53...]

roxiesmom-

I was on Xanax for a long time, see siggy line and crossed over to Valium for my taper; not suggesting it to you, just wanting you to know that you aren't alone, a taper is doable, can be flexible and adjustments made along the way. Whatever you decide, we are here to support you.

Just Breathe

Hi Roxiesmom:

It is so individual.  One person has a hard time, the next person doesn't.  One person feels dreadful after the first cut but better later another person feels increasingly bad until she is off.  We have learned all we can say is "It depends."

ntw

I am so happy to have found this home that I am very encouraged and no longer want to wait untill after the holidays. I cut my am dose by 1/4 this am and will hold for a week or two and see how I do. Is 2 milligrams alot of xanax a day? Now I will be at 1 and 3/4 milligrams a day. :yippee:

If I get sick oh well it will pass. I have a ritual of pacing and saying a rosary for someone more in need than myself and it gets me through the really rough bits.

also a little dog who thinks I'm great no matter what I do and a very supportive husband.Thank you all who reply to me and help with advice and fellowship.

[53...]

I am so happy to have found this home that I am very encouraged and no longer want to wait untill after the holidays. I cut my am dose by 1/4 this am and will hold for a week or two and see how I do. Is 2 milligrams alot of xanax a day? Now I will be at 1 and 3/4 milligrams a day. :yippee:

If I get sick oh well it will pass. I have a ritual of pacing and saying a rosary for someone more in need than myself and it gets me through the really rough bits.

also a little dog who thinks I'm great no matter what I do and a very supportive husband.Thank you all who reply to me and help with advice and fellowship.

Hi roxiesmom-

Good for you in making a decision..we are here to support you all the way :thumbsup: Yes, Xanax, at 2mg's is a high dose. Xanax is a strong benzo, fast in, fast out, a very short half life but a taper is doable. Yes, hold your dose for atleast 1 week before making another cut and add a signaure line to your profile so you know where you are at in your taper and it helps us see where you are at...some of our memories aren't so good :o

Good luck with eveything and keep us posted.

Just Breathe :smitten:

Roxiesmom:

Pacing and saying a Rosary for someone in need is a great thing to do when you are feeling bad for all kinds of reasons both spiritual and psychological.  Brillian idea!

ntw

Really appreciate the messaging back. It seems to me you are doing great with the computer, and in the midst of w/d! I am in my later 50's so know what you mean about the computer world. This is my first live chat forum and it has been an effort I didn't think I had in me to find my way around. I still have things to figure out but I am getting there. :)

Yes, I am going to titrate as soon as I can find the measuring cylinder. Will try to find it locally today or tomorrow, otherwise will order off the net. I really want to get off this stuff and I want to continue the w/d as soon as possible. I don't think for me that cutting down the pills will work — I just can't get the amounts small enough by cutting. And even cutting a 2 mg. tablet down to .125 mg is going to be a bit less than 'exact'. I watched the two titrate videos posted on the 'Withdrawal Methods' page and found them very easy to understand and easy to find again if I have questions. I highly recommend them.

I too am a believer or I don't know if I would have made it as well as I have. I agree that walking and/or pacing can help. And prayer in a meditative state is necessary to me as the practice helps one learn how to quiet the mind. So we have even more in common.

I know I can do this.... but it is great to know there is this lifeline called BenzoBuddies! Oh, one last thing.... I have had a couple of postings on the evils of neurontin. Such validation of my own inner caution. And lets me know my wonderful (and she is!) doctor just is not tuned into the detox regimens I would like her to be. I am fast arriving at the place where 'life without drugs' will be my mantra as soon as possible.

Also think I am going to take the BB folks up on their offer of beginning a Blog on here. So I can chart my own progress on becoming more self-aware as I taper off for the final time. I know when I hit plateaus that looking back at something I wrote weeks earlier will help keep me on an upward path. I think of it as journaling in cyberspace — and journaling is a great companion of our walk. Blessings on your days!  ::)

well I am already feeeling the cut in my dose. I cleaned house till 11:30 went to bead and slept poorly till 5. Feel jittry inside upset stomach hard to breath and just upset.The thought of doing this over and over for months makes me so scared and I just hope I can do it.

I know the future looks bleak, that's why we've borrowed a popular saying from another group.  One day at a time!  Sometimes it's one minute at a time, but all of those minutes add up to hours, days, months and years.  Every time you make a cut you're getting closer to being free from everything this drug has done to you and your life.

You can do this, you can keep putting one foot in front of the other until you're there.  We're going to be here with you, every step of the day.  We understand how much it hurts, so just keep coming here to tell us how much you hate it, we'll agree with you but cheer you on. :thumbsup:

Went to the mall today  :o Got the utoh feeling in line horrible hot flashes and my dumb coupon couldn't be used on anything I bought. I thought it best to keep busy. So I did some christmas shopping and am glad to be home now and I hope this adjustment goes quick.

The feeling of not being able to breath is bad. My dad is very ill and is home and can't walk. We have help with him all day and its very expensive but not as much as a nursing home.

He is eighty and they put him on xanax and celexa which seems a shame to go your whole life and then get these kind of meds.I don't have the heart to tell him how hard it will be if he ever doesn't want them.

I am grateful for all of your friendship. I think I'll do a smaller cut after I get over this one maybe an 1/8.

I know it's hard, but it's best to keep moving if you can.  I found it helped to distract myself and that's what you're doing.  It sounds like you've got a lot on your plate right now, with your Dad.  I hope you're not feeling too overwhelmed.

Take as long as you need with your taper, this is a very personal process.  We offer guidelines and suggestions, but this is in your control. 

I'm glad you got some shopping done, it's not even December!! :o

[53...]

roxiesmom-

Just do the best that you can and taper at a rate that YOU are comfortable with. I here you on just wanting to get home; after work, I ran to get dog food, get my nails done, had to stop for gas and lottery :laugh: and the whole time, I was just wanting to get home...to quiet...my surroundings. Then I get home and it is fold laundry, swiffer the hardwood floors, dishes and make myself some plain white rice...Whew.....we both could use a vacation :o Hawaii sound good?

today is the hardest one yet. Can't breath feel so jittery inside.Slept horribly last night. :sick:But it is bearable and I will just have to hold it. Maybe day four after a cut will always be my worst one.I will try to do a smaller change nest time and go as slow as I need to.Thanks to all who are helping me.

[53...]

roxiesmom- I had a post all ready and it went poof then my PC blocked me out  :pokey:

From what most people have said, they feel their cut 3-4 days after...so what you are experiencing is pretty common...it will level off. You can decide on your next taper amount when the time comes....this process is individual...listen to your body and let that be your guide. I wanted to drop you suggestion for belly breaths:

Lay down, eyes closed, quiet dark room, let the thoughts in your mind float away and relax your body

Lay your hands on your lower belly(diagram area) and breath in through your nose(using your diagram, not lungs) for a count of 6, hold for a count of 2 and then exhale through your mouth for a count of 6....repeat this 6- 10 times..no time frame on how fast or slow to count...just start to practice this...it helps immensely but does take some time to get used to. This a part of a progressive relaxation tape/cd I use...well I have 3...Calm Down, Natural Tranquiliser's and Worry Stopper's..all excellent from wholeperson.com. We are here for you okay...let this cut ride, accept what it brings and post around the board...make some friends with others....found that to be very helpful in my taper...yep, I am tapering too.

That jittery feeling is horrible, it never stops.  I used to call it inner trembling too.  Whatever little names we find for our misery, only the people here know what you're talking about.

Like Just Breathe says, day 3 for some is the worst so if it's any consolation, you're right in line with most of the folks tapering.

Keep coming back, we're here.  :smitten:

Looking back on my journal I cut 1.25 xanax in only 23 days. I know that was too fast but mentally 1 and 3/4 sounds so much closer to only one that now I feel better about slowing down and realize its possible. Does it get harder the lower you go and why ?

I am also in possession of my taper tube and seeing it on my desk makes me hopeful.I appreciate the breathing advice. I sure need it today. Also thanks for telling me the third day is the worst. It feels so bad but I am so glad to be getting rid of it.

I have made a friend and I spend hours on here it seem and read everyones stories. I never had anxiety or panic befor this xanax. I was too dumb to realize I was freaking out from neurotin withdrawl.I will be very sure to better edcuate myself from now on.Thank you all  for helping. :smitten:

[53...]

Looking back on my journal I cut 1.25 xanax in only 23 days. I know that was too fast but mentally 1 and 3/4 sounds so much closer to only one that now I feel better about slowing down and realize its possible. Does it get harder the lower you go and why ?

I am also in possession of my taper tube and seeing it on my desk makes me hopeful.I appreciate the breathing advice. I sure need it today. Also thanks for telling me the third day is the worst. It feels so bad but I am so glad to be getting rid of it.

I have made a friend and I spend hours on here it seem and read everyones stories. I never had anxiety or panic befor this xanax. I was too dumb to realize I was freaking out from neurotin withdrawl.I will be very sure to better edcuate myself from now on.Thank you all  for helping. :smitten:

roxiesmom- I am glad you have a buddie here...makes this process so much more acceptable when someone knows what you are going through...practice that breathing advise, even when you feel good as it takes awhile to get used to. I am happy that you found your way to BB....and roxie you got a lot of moxie...I like your attitude :thumbsup:

Just Breathe