This is the first video that someone posted in another thread:

https://youtu.be/2X6ZFmo3VBY

This is the second one. I am in it:

https://youtu.be/y1FrgpK7qUI

Here is a video on how you can participate:

https://youtu.be/0KnHYY7JKvk

A video made by a woman who lost her husband to bz WD:

https://youtu.be/PwJwti0vCog

This a video from Baylissa Frederick. Her website is recovery road and she wrote the book Recovery and Renewal:

https://youtu.be/CVuP8dHBAdY

They have decided to probably do a third video. You can go to the world benzodiazepine awareness Facebook page or website for more info if you want to make one. I also am happy to give info. They are also reintroducing the benzo bill in January in MA. I was too sick to attend the hearing last time, but I wrote a letter. Letters of support and stories are welcome from all states. I know change is happening and I hope others can get involved in whatever way you are capable.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Fl...]

• [az...]

• [Bi...]

• [Ma...]

Maya,

Thank-you so much for posting your video for World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day!  I'm profoundly grateful that this much needed initiative is going forward.  It is desperately needed and must get out to the world!  I'm glad to hear the MA Benzo Bill will be revisited in January again, too.  People need to be warned about these drugs before being prescribed  by a doctor.  I wrote a letter to my state rep about benzos and my struggle and she has staff looking in to it.  She will be following the MA Benzo Bill closely as well.  I also bought a World Benzo Awareness t-shirt and have been wearing it everywhere.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention and all that you do on Benzo Buddies!    Take care and sending lots of hugs!!!  :)    Burned

It is amazing to me to see so many real people expressing the pain that they have endured from these drugs. It's one thing to post on message boards or facebook or whatever but when you see the faces of so many people who have had their lives torn apart it really hits home when you are in the exact same position.

Thanks for posting  :)

Burned,

Thank you for all your help and support! I believe you write a letter in support of the benzo bill. I would be happy to write a letter to your state representative. I saw the notes for the benzo bill and it received a lot of attention and support. The opiod bill took 3 times to pass here. I am really hoping it passes this time and other states follow. I am glad you have been wearing your shirt. I think they are so nice. If you can take a picture and use the hash tag #WORLDBENZODAY on July 11th. Also you can send it to the W-BAD fb if you feel comfortable with it.  :smitten:

FloridaGuy

I agree that it hits home more when you see people actually talking about it. All the videos made me cry. I am the one from Massachusetts in the second one. I had not slept at all and had a hard time, but it was important to me to make a video. It is amazing to see people from all over the world.

Terry&Lapis,

You are welcome! If anyone wants more info let me know.

:smitten:

XO Maya

I pray that people will start listening to the stories and something will be done! thank you so much for posting this!

Hi Maya,

I called and spoke with with one of Representative McMurtry's  aides.  She was very helpful and I emailed them what I've been through, too.  It would be wonderful if you wrote to my state representative...she is really interested in what happens with the MA benzo bill.  I will PM you her info soon.  My husband wants a t-shirt, too and we plan on taking a picture and sending it to everyone on his LinkedIn site. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Burned,

I am so sorry I just saw this. Thank you so much for doing that! I would love to write to your state representative. I wrote to someone else's in another state this week. Please PM me the info. That's great about you and your hubby. My partner (bf of almost 10 years) didn't buy one in time for Mon. I forgot to remind him. The W-BAD shop is open year round now. They even have W-BAD sauce, which he loves..but would be way too much for my GI right now. Don't forget to use the hashtags #WORLDBENZODAY. I am posting pictures with me, my sister, and mom wearing the shirts. I also am mailing pamphlets to Dr's and I am going to write a personal letter to my pdocs telling them what they did to me and not to do it to anyone else. If there is anyway I can help, I will to the best if my ability. Just let me know.

XO Maya

These are good videos.

Thanks for posting them.

I wonder if Colin has been asked to submit a video.

At this time Colin Moran is arguably

the most important person in the entire world

of benzo withdrawal and recovery.

How can we have a World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day

without an awareness of the largest, and really the only

benzo recovery website on the planet?

These are good videos.

Thanks for posting them.

I wonder if Colin has been asked to submit a video.

At this time Colin Moran is arguably

the most important person in the entire world

of benzo withdrawal and recovery.

How can we have a World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day

without an awareness of the largest, and really the only

benzo recovery website on the planet?

Yes, I agree !!!

I agree too.  If more people read and familiarized themselves with this forum,  they would see what an epidemic this is. 

Maya6842; you look so brave and wonderful. Now I know who you are from the video. Stoked. Loved your contribution. This is not such a wearisome day after all. I believe God is on our side, thank you.

Hi Red,

The short answer to your question is: no, I have not been asked to submit a video. To be frank, I do not even know who is behind BAD and have no contact with them.

The slightly longer answer is (assuming I was asked) that I would be unlikely to participate by providing a video. I see my role more as providing a support and discussion space for those going through, or have gone though benzodiazepine withdrawal. I leave campaigning to others; those who are better at it (and who are more driven to do it) than me. And, of course, some of them have been doing for very long time - two decades or more. We all have our parts to play.

Hi Red ...

To be frank, I do not even know who is behind BAD and have no contact with them.

W-BAD is the brainchild of:

Barry Haslam (former Chair of Oldham Tranx)

Their temporary Official Site until their permanent Official Site is ready

On SpaceBook, or MyFace, or whatever it's called

Their YouTube channel

Mad at America

And at the Rt. Venerable site

W-BAD is yesterday's news now. But tomorrow is another day..

I think a lot of us would just like to see your voice and hear your face, Colin.

That's how messed up we are.

See, I didn't even know that. Of course I know of Barry Haslam. But truth be told, I have never engaged in the campaigning side of things. People like Barry do a far better job of it that than I would. I've seen a few things about BAD, but never saw Barry mentioned.

azalea,

Thank you! I had not slept at all and was dealing with a lot that day. I am the first person from MA in the second promo video, as I imagine you have figured out. It is sad that there has to be a W-BAD, but I am so grateful for all the support. I believe things are truly changing.  :smitten:

The idea was Barry Haslam. The organizer of W-BAD is Wayne Douglas. He has the website benzo-case-Japan. Also Geraldine Burns was the US representative. Many people were involved. I am sure if Colin had made a video it would have been added. They invited anyone who wanted to to make a video to send it to them. In any resources it lists benzos buddies. Also they thanked Colin for benzo buddies on their Facebook page. He is very much appreciated! It was for anyone who wanted to help raise awareness. If anyone is interested I did gave photos and another video that are posted on the W-BAD Facebook page. My sister also did a video speaking about the benzo bill that is on their page. There are also many videos, pictures, and stories. It is really wonderful to see.

Watching these video's was a total buzz-kill for me :'(

Everyone jumped,

everyone has permanent damage

and no one says they have healed. 

Do not know if this is a very well thought out campaign.

The message it sends to me is "taper benzo's and your going to be in deep-shit forever"

MORE SUCCESS stories or no one will ever want to taper!!!!

Everyone jumped,

The message it sends to me is "taper benzo's and your going to be in deep-shit forever"

I don't remember anyone saying anything about permanent damage.

If we ever want any of this to change the kid gloves have to come off and we need to tell it like it is. They are trying to make the point that benzos ruin lives so it is completely understandable that this is what they would focus on.

I know we have to be careful not to sensationalize this for many reasons but I didn't see any of that happening here. Not even close. We are all adults and even people like us who were affected by these drugs need to hear the truth. 

Everyone jumped,

If we ever want any of this to change the kid gloves have to come off and we need to tell it like it is. They are trying to make the point that benzos ruin lives so it is completely understandable that this is what they would focus on.

I know we have to be careful not to sensationalize this for many reasons but I didn't see any of that happening here. Not even close. We are all adults and even people like us who were affected by these drugs need to hear the truth.

Totally agree. Much respect Maya, to you and to the people of Massachusetts who are fighting with dignity and strength... Most of all LOVE. You can totally feel it in the Hearing for the Bill for benzos and God bless you all who made BAD a success ...we have many more victories in store and I support you.

I understand we each have different roles and respect your position, Colin. Blessings for knowing your spot and sticking to it... I understand not wanting to get involved in every aspect and that you have done exactly what you are supposed to. Knowing one's self is a really solid and cool thing. Much respect to you and everyone making an effort, we are all different.

This is the first video that someone posted in another thread:

https://youtu.be/2X6ZFmo3VBY

This is the second one. I am in it:

https://youtu.be/y1FrgpK7qUI

Here is a video on how you can participate:

https://youtu.be/0KnHYY7JKvk

A video made by a woman who lost her husband to bz WD:

https://youtu.be/PwJwti0vCog

This a video from Baylissa Frederick. Her website is recovery road and she wrote the book Recovery and Renewal:

https://youtu.be/CVuP8dHBAdY

They have decided to probably do a third video. You can go to the world benzodiazepine awareness Facebook page or website for more info if you want to make one. I also am happy to give info. They are also reintroducing the benzo bill in January in MA. I was too sick to attend the hearing last time, but I wrote a letter. Letters of support and stories are welcome from all states. I know change is happening and I hope others can get involved in whatever way you are capable.

Thank you Maya. 

So very many of us have been severely brain damaged by these horrible "medications".  I will never pander to those here who insist that we are in a minority or somewhat "mangled" in our genetic composition.  A large collective, who have been here for great lengths of time, have observed the the darker side of "withdrawal", and more importantly, the "discontinuation syndrome" which can lead to years of debilitating symptoms.

While all of us wish new members well, it is completely disingenuous of members here to sanitize the prognosis of anyone.  It's about time that the most prominent and highly recognized forum regarding benzodiazepine cessation becomes more truthful.  Thankfully, posts such as yours are becoming more influential.

And many thanks to WBAD!

While all of us wish new members well, it is completely disingenuous of members here to sanitize the prognosis of anyone.  It's about time that the most prominent and highly recognized forum regarding benzodiazepine cessation becomes more truthful.  Thankfully, posts such as yours are becoming more influential.

When discussing my situation with people who are early in the process I am careful in how I choose my wording but I don't hide the facts. It is possible to tell the truth and provide some hope at the same time. I am still symptomatic but I am always clear about the fact that I have made progress and I am no longer suffering like I was in the earlier days.

I don't think a lot of people realize how important it is for us to get the WHOLE truth out there. We have a responsibility to protect fragile members but we also have a responsibility to the people who take longer to heal, and most importantly to the people who are going to end up just like us if we don't make it clear to the rest of the world what these drugs are capable of.

Everyone jumped,

Did we watch the same video's?  Most complained of continued suffering year after year and lots of talk of destroyed lives.  Destroyed assumes permanent condition.

It's a great campaign for a few reason's -

1. It may scare people away from ever trying a benzo.

2. It may educate docs never to give these meds.

3. It could change prescribing guidelines and make benzo's tougher to get.

The problem is it does not belong on a forum like this.  If I had to describe this forum in one word I'd say it's HOPE.

If I had to describe those video's in one word I'd say DESPAIR.

"Damaged" is the most scary and unproductive word to a person tapering or doing a C/T should be exposed to.

For the same reasons people get so emotional about the PROTRACTED BOARD here at BB  this is not a great topic for a taper forum where people need to be treated with kid gloves. 

It' the same reason you don't take a group of soldiers fresh out of boot camp and take them on a tour of the veterans hospital and show them all the people missing half their bodies with their faces blown off.  There is a time and place for everything but I can tell you if I would have been shown these video's I would have thought twice about tapering.

There is a time and place for everything but you do not set up a sales booth selling coffins in a cancer hospital!!!

Is it true then that some people stay permanently damaged?  :'( for years and years? :'( :'( :'(

I won't survive this...

I have seen people on here who have tapered and have even cold turkeyed or did so rapidly and they have healed.... Barely having an acute period or none at all because they were so methodical in their tapering and listening to their bodies..... How could that be then?

Even baylissa Fredericks who has counseled thousands has said that people always progress towards healing.... get better and are healed....she said shes seen that over and over....even the most severe that she thought perhaps would have a much much  harder time did.... If I'm not mistaken, she was interviewed by a British publication explaining this....

Also, there were people on these meds who were getting sick and after tapering started to feel better and better  ...... I don't understand how this could be the case then ?