I asked my husband today, are you ready for the Success Story?

[pa...]

Hello our dear bbs.

Yes, today I asked my hubby about this.  He was never a member, I became the member in July 2010, and found out the truth, not only about what was happening with him, but what happened to me 26 years prior; this was after reading www.benzo.org and then reading the "Ashton Manual..."  I cried, knowing what we were up against... But, I knew the truth with him, what we would be facing, but I knew I healed..  So, I begin with my husband's Success Story. He said to me... You know it all, chuckled and said... go for it and just write it...

This all began in our life in 2010 with my husband.  Someone I had been married to since 1976, 34 years.  He was a very successful businessman, who developed his business from the ground up, and I joined him in his business with my background being the same, and we worked this together for over 25 years.  Dear god, if anyone knew him I did.  The most balanced even keel person I had ever known... Then 2010 came about... Something so careless a hospital administered him, knowing he was so allergic too... his sodium level after three days plummeted from normal and bottomed out. He was in full blown anxiety from this, and yes, he was put on lorazepam.

Within 24 hours, he was going into panic attacks.  Of course it had to be from the extreme sodium drop.  Was I told anything different, no not at all.  All I saw was the down spiral week after week and terrified.  I was online constantly, and as my husband's advocate, stood up to the plate with the medical community and never let up.  You'll understand why I was such an advocate as you read further.

Everything was non-stop with the medical community with no answers.  From ct scans, on and on and on.  And, a teaching doctor, a professor at the medical school at UCSF... her words "everyone is on lorazepam now days".... The words haunted me for some years with anger, but I had to let that go.

I could go onto the litany of all of the wd symptoms he went through, though, I don't feel that is important, as each and everyone reading this, you are experiencing  them.  I printed out the reported symptom list and never showed it to him.  Though, each one that came upon him, I would pull the list out and showed him, it was there.  Was that any comfort to him... not one bit. He was going through so much hell through this, as I knew he would, as I know you are.

What is our message to you , YOU WILL HEAL FROM THIS... I did many years prior, he has, and so, so many others I communicated with and personally supported with since July 2010..  It does happen for one and all.

Though, from my own experience so many years prior, not knowing it was so much from this drug, I found a knowledge that helped me.  And from that, then becoming a very active member on this site, seeing it unfold before my eyes with so many.. I understood and knew the keys that helped me. 

From this, the ones I have supported from BB off the forum who truly listened, they slowly began to see the difference in how it helped their journey.  Rather then going into all of the particulars, I will share a link from one who grasped onto it. It does work.  Like another one who wrote her beautiful success story, she shared the same.  So read this link, get onboard and follow it.  Yes, other will profess it differently, and that's ok.  But remember, I went through this many years prior "not knowing most was from the benzo drug", and when I joined BB, I became an very active knowing 26 years later the truth with me, and became an active member on this site, a true observer not being on this drug at that time, not trying to get off it, not going through wds... But I had been there and healed.  And, I saw the same as the observer all over this site, the same had occurred to me and what helped me, and it has helped others.  Here is our bbs link:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=156111.0

Try to follow the above as best as you are able to.  Heed the message that it tells you, it is the truth with most... I have seen the ones who have, the changes to help this horrible journey become smoother and better.

Why did this happen to us, that is the big question.  What came to light on this site, from "Galea" who had posted on "PJ's" success story thread...  She was referred to a neurologist, becoming so gravely ill from symptoms after being on benzos for a short period of time.  Thank god for this doctor what he did for Galea and she shared.  The doctor ordered a "DNA Genetic Enzyme" test.  Her tests showed, she had 5 out of 9 enzymes that where inactive, and one of those "dead" enzymes were needed to metabolize benzos.. 

From this knowledge to all of us, this is why we have all had an enormous problem with these class of drugs.  It comes down to our "DNA Genetic Enzymes".    We either don't have the enzyme to support to metabolize this drug at all, that is why short time users become so very reactive.  Then we have the others, they have the enzyme that can support it for sometime and then it becomes an overload and the problems occur....  It comes down to this totally. 

Strange how things unfold.  My husband was just 12 months off, going through hell, and our beloved cat was diagnosed with severe hyperthyroidism....  The nightmare with medication came about with her, even being compounded...  The head pharmacist, a vet pharmacy in S.F.  whom I had spoken with several times over 1.5 years with the problems on the meds with "Mandy"... he said, just one month after "Galea's" post about her DNA Genetic Enzyme test"....  The pharmacist said "we know from Mandy's history she has sensitivity with meds, but I have never seen this extreme with this med, "I suspect she DOES NOT have the enzyme to metabolize this medication".  I almost fell over, and I shared all about Galea's posts.  He confirmed this is totally accurate.

So that is the truth with all of us who have gone through this.  You are not going insane, you are not going crazy.  Yes, this wd process is one of non-other for sure.  It is hell totally.  But,  I can tell you, my husband can tell you, and all before you, we can all tell you, that this will change, you WILL HEAL TOTALLY from this.

Though, when that occurs... your life will be transformed, more then you will even know.  You cannot connect to this now... But.. from this horrible journey and it is... so many gifts are received and given to you.  You become whole and well, there is no more anxiety, no more terror, no more fear, no more physical, emotional or mental symptoms... They all go away, as the beautiful healing power within our bodies that we have, it heals this horrible temporary damage our systems were assaulted with from these drugs. 

You become a brand new person with so much peace within yourself... A new perception of what life is..  This is your future up ahead from this journey.

Stay close to your bbs on this site, they will help you get there, just as you will help them get there. 

Remember... from two 26 years apart, one not knowing and then that one finding out about the one she has loved for so many years.. We healed and so you will.

My prayers include all of you each morning and evening.  I send the Angels to surround each and one of you with love, healing and strength.

And... you do have an inner strength of a lion... each one of you are Warriors and will perserve through this... And, will receive all those gifts awaiting for you... they are just up ahead.

Love to all, Pattylu & Ron... :smitten: :smitten:

Oh Patty,

how wonderful to read this!!!!!! And such an honor for your husband that you wrote the story for him. There are not much people that know about that hell more and better than you do.

Both of you deserve this so much, being free!!!!!! You are such a rock for me and so many others and surely for your husband during his journey.

Thank you for YOU, Patty!!!!! And thank you for this wonderful story!

With all my love

b.

This is a very interesting post to me - especially the paragraph that mentions "DNA genetic enzymes." I've been well now for nearly 4 years. In the past few months, I decided to "research" exactly what happens from taking benzos and the reason for all the bizarre aspects of benzo exposure - immediate paradoxical reactions of some, extremely early onset of tolerance, the symptoms themselves, variability in duration of wd, types of healing (window/wave versus gradual), and others.

So, I began reading a neuroscience textbook, many published papers, other online posts from forums and groups, and another book. It seems quite obvious to me that alteration of gene expression is at the heart of this whole mess - not only with respect to downregulation of neuroreceptors but also (VERY importantly) modification of production of enzymes that play a huge role in the GABAergic system. We never hear much about the enzymatic part of this, but I believe it is quite real. There is more to this than "downregulation of GABA receptors."

I do honestly believe there is something that could "reverse" the alteration of gene expression resulting in normal pre-benzo production of these enzymes as well as relatively rapid upregulation of receptors. I wrote a couple "papers" (not intended to be published scientific works) and forwarded a draft of them to a well-known psychiatrist/scientist/professor. I am waiting to hopefully hear back from him. Ultimately, I would love to see someone "crack the nut" to all this suffering and find a way to end it relatively rapidly. There is hope for sure.

Great post and awesome that your husband is well!

This is great! thank you Patti and Ron, I know you went through such a lot. Thank you for taking the time to post your success, its inspiring!

Also huge thank you for the support you give to others Patti, I am sure members appreciate your help, I know we do!!

Magrita  :smitten:

Thank you for sharing you and your husband's stories.  Giving hope to me one more day.  Wishing you joy and love in your lives.  :-*

Patty, you have been such a treasure to so many and to this forum.  Not only have you been your hubby's caretaker all these years, but during that time you've supported everyone else, too.  What a generous and caring spirit!

Congrats to you and Ron, may you have many more years of health in the years ahead.  Go out and make up for lost time!

Chal  :smitten:

Dearest Patty,

I am weeping after reading this, but then, having supported me these past 6.5 months, you are used to my flood of tears.

Every reassurance and "truth" about this process you have shared with me, over and over, has played out exactly as you said it would, time and time again.  The benefits of the hypoglycemic diet that will even out the blood sugar and dampen down the nervous system.  The dangers of alcohol, food preservatives, vitamins and supplements.  The boundaries that must be maintained and guarded.  The cortisol spikes and waves from stress and exercise intolerance.  These are just a few of the many "pearls" you have given me to help me get through this horrible journey.

All the wisdom you have shared with me has saved my sanity and my life.  You are the most generous and selfless compassionate soul I have ever met in my 62 year old life.  I know you were sent to me to be by my side, to prop me up and to carry me when I cannot walk on my own.  I am so grateful to God and the universe for the gift of you.

Now, at 19 months out, I am waiting for the one last promise you have always vowed to me for the past 6.5 months to come true.  I can already see it in front of me.  I will heal 100% from this and I BELIEVE you.  I will be transformed into a much better version of myself with "one foot in heaven."  You've been right about everything else.  You are right about this.

I love you, Patty, my angel. 

Judy

Sooooo Happy for you and hubby sweet Pattylu,  It is a tough journey but you and hubby are on the bright side now...Blessings to you both!!

Jude  :smitten:

Hi pattylu

Fantastic and so encouraging, I am so happy for you and your husband. Congratulations and wish you all the best.

I really am so glad to hear success stories like this and I am sure there are others that reading your success story will help them and encourage them to hang in there.

Right now as for me I believe I am in that Phase 3 mode. It's been crazy, but slowly improving. My worst symptoms are tinnitus, sleep problem with only about 4 or 5 hours of sleep per night with early morning awakening like at 2 or 3 AM feeling this nervous energy with the intrusive thoughts coming at you full steam (I think some here on the forum call this cortisol rushes). And gastro intestinal like I am real sensitive to certain foods now. But with that being said I am slowly improving. It sure is a wild ride. Just want to say thanks again for posting your inspiring story.

Be blessed and wish you guys the best

Regards

ldm27

Thank you very much for posting!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"Though, when that occurs... your life will be transformed, more then you will even know.  You cannot connect to this now... But.. from this horrible journey and it is... so many gifts are received and given to you.  You become whole and well, there is no more anxiety, no more terror, no more fear, no more physical, emotional or mental symptoms... They all go away, as the beautiful healing power within our bodies that we have, it heals this horrible temporary damage our systems were assaulted with from these drugs. 

You become a brand new person with so much peace within yourself... A new perception of what life is..  This is your future up ahead from this journey."

I wish this for myself. And although I'm not there yet, it's so nice to have it explained, to have someone else experience that blessed peace that I can only dream of now.

Thank you so much for the prayers and for sharing your story...all of us need this positivity so much...I also found my guardian angel on this site and I don't know what I'd do without her...God gave me my angel...we will get through this with God and each other!!

Very interesting and inspiring success story! Thanks for sharing it...Do you know where/how one might go about getting a "DNA Genetic Enzyme" test done?

Not that getting results that confirm what I already suspect would speed up the healing process. But as another short-termer still suffering after almost 1-1/2 years, it might satisfy my curiosity to know for sure the underlying cause.

Hi my dear friends,

Something so very important I forgot!  :oops: I forgot to give a very big THANK YOU to some very special ones that connected with me in 2010, from the beginning.  So I start with that:

Colin...  Well, we all know so well how this site began, what you have provided to each one who have crawled onto this site. The words "THANK YOU" don't even rise to what you have extended to all of us travelers.  No words can ever express the deepest appreciation we have for you.  I can only say with humbleness, and to me these words are very shallow to what can be returned to you in words... My blessings always to you with spiritual love always... May your road in life always be gentle and kind... And I know, in the next plane in life your grace you have given to all of us will be crowned and bestowed to you.  Thank you always... :smitten:

Pamster (our Admin then), Eljay, Beeper - our Team then, and I know I'm forgetting some.  Thank you for your generous hearts.  All of you and Colin came to my side to help me so very much with my husband, guiding with a taper program.  Your strength never failed with that.

My dear bbs in those early days... Teakettle, Starbird, Missy & Vertigo.... God love the four of you.  You never wavered, even though I was wavering and tumbling... But you held onto me close and kept me upright.   

Thank you to all of you!  You were treasures to me and will always be.

Then came our new team members.... From Hope1962, Pianogirl, Magrita, Megan, Betsy, Challis, Riverworlf... then on and on... I know, though not being as active daily for almost two years, I'm not mentioning you by your username, or all that are on the Team, I'm sorry for that.  Though, each and every dedicated Team member, they have and are dedicated.  If it were not for them, this site would pass away, and it has not.

THANK YOU to all of you what you have continually provided...

Thank you for your posts...  Want a chuckle... My husband's last words to me after he said "just write it you know it"... "Don't make it so long winded."  lol... So I kept it short with his experience and mine... As "our" most important message was "you will heal from this, and you will"..

I will always be a part of this forum for the rest of my life.  As, it provided so much for me during the crisis with my husband.  Though, I knew I could give back in my own way, understanding it "finally" after so many years.  It truly became full circle for me...

All of you will heal, and yes, you will regain your whole life back... But, so very different.. so much better as I shared.

Again, Thank You Colin... you and the Team from before and now are the greatest!

Hugs, Pattylu

• 3 weeks later...

I don't come on this site much anymore but sure was happy I wondered upon this today. 

PattyLu - you were my strength when I first started this journey with my husband.  I prayed for you just as much as I prayed for our husbands. 

Thank you so much for coming this site and saving so many hearts like mine.  I am so so so happy to see this success story today.  I am happy we both have found the sunshine at the end of this long miserable tunnel.

Please believe healing will happen for those of you not there yet.  It does!

Forever grateful for you - PattyLu

4LOV

Thank you PattyLu.  Love and blessings for sharing your hubby's story.  It is a mountain that seems unbeatable, but we persevere.

Hi Pattylu,

Thanks for the informative post!

I remember asking you a question years ago and mentioned how you had recovered from benzo wd and your husband was now going thru it.

What an amazing story.

Very interesting and inspiring success story! Thanks for sharing it...Do you know where/how one might go about getting a "DNA Genetic Enzyme" test done?

Not that getting results that confirm what I already suspect would speed up the healing process. But as another short-termer still suffering after almost 1-1/2 years, it might satisfy my curiosity to know for sure the underlying cause.

Read this thread, from "Galea" who was the first to have it:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=103656.msg1400370#msg1400370

It was with "Iverson Diagnostics"...