Study, May/16: Association between taking benzos and outcomes of hip replacement

[La...]

The title of this French study is "Association between Exposure to Benzodiazepines and Related Drugs and Survivorship of Total Hip Replacement in Arthritis: A Population-Based Cohort Study of 246,940 Patients".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27219105

"CONCLUSION AND RELEVANCE:  Exposure to benzodiazepines and Z-drugs is associated with an increased risk of THR revision, with a dose-response relationship. Cautious prescribing might be needed as well as careful history examination and assessment of risk for patients with a hip prosthesis."

Just glad I don't have arthritis.  Is there anything that isn't adversely affected by benzos??  I suspect not!!  :tickedoff:

Thanks for posting, Lapis.

Fiona  :smitten:

You're right, Fiona! I can't think of anything that is enhanced by taking benzos long-term. I'm not sure how many more studies we need to prove that, but apparently, the research continues.  ???

• 11 months later...

I'm bumping this because it looks like I may need a hip replacement due to osteoarthritis - curious that the benzos accelerated that arthritic process.  It could be genetic/lifestyle/weight, etc.  My mother had her hip replaced last year -- I am 26 years younger!  At least recovery chances better without a benzo?  W --

I think being debilitated for so long and not getting good exercise, etc. could lead to having bad hips, legs, etc.  My left hip and leg are always killing me.  I can't even go out and walk and exercise anymore.  I haven't worn a pair of sneakers in years.  I think also that all this glutamate storming in my wrecked brain increases the pain.