"Illness Inflammation:New and expanded medical definitions create more patients

[La...]

From the Journal Sentinel, May 22, 2016: "New and expanded medical definitions create more patients — and a lucrative market for drug firms"

"From binge-eating disorder to overactive bladder, new definitions or lowered thresholds mean millions more people — overnight — fit the criteria of having treatable disorders"

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/new-and-expanded-medical-definitions-create-more-patients--and-a-lucrative-market-for-drug-firms--379981751.html

Thanks for the interesting article Lapis!  Big pharma meddling in the medical field again.  "Financial ties to drug companies" in research and "industry friendly conclusions" indeed.

You're welcome, Burned Out. It becomes increasingly difficult to trust medical authorities these days, doesn't it?

Yes it does Lapis.  I am so glad to see more functional medical practitioners and naturopaths around.  They seem to try to get to the root cause of medical issues at least.

Yes, and it seems like we all need to be as informed as possible before we agree to any sort of treatment.

They did that withweight/BMI chart in the 80's and cholesteral numbers in the 90's and diabetes 2 at some point s well.  Whole new segments of the population became patients 

• 3 weeks later...

Thats a huge trend in Germany. And patients tend to LOVE to have a diagnose - I often wondered why they were so proud to be able to say "well, I have XY"..

A good therapist once told me "I don't care what is written on a paper. I look as you as a person, diagnoses are just words."

I think we all need a healthy dose of skepticism when it comes to such things. Knowledge is power -- once again. We all have to be as informed as possible.

It has been known for some time that pharmaceutical companies will first create a drug (sometimes by accident) and then create an illness or disorder for the drug.  The new disorder will receive a credible-sounding label and will be marketed ad-nauseam through all media pathways, including through the "education" of physicians.  It's a dirty business.

I think it's known by some, but many more are quite trusting when it comes to such things. They believe their doctors or the FDA or Health Canada or some other authority out there is looking out for their best interests. We've all learned the truth the hard way.

You're welcome, Burned Out. It becomes increasingly difficult to trust medical authorities these days, doesn't it?

When I was young I assumed that you went to a doctor to be healed.  Now I assume you go to a doctor to be poisoned.  I recently went to my doctor to review the results of a complete blood survey.  He noted that my cholesterol levels were too high and recommended a statin.  I asked him if he had reviewed my medical history and seen that I am taking a corticosteroid to treat an autoimmune disease.  He said, yes, I'm aware of that.  I then asked him if he's aware that a necessary side effect of corticosteroids is an increase in cholesterol levels.  He just sat there, silent.  Then I said, no thanks, I don't need any more stinking pills to treat the side effects of another pill.  To his credit, he did not react defensively and did get upset with me.  I viewed this reaction as an indicator that the medical profession is starting to "get it."

Well, good on you for being as informed as you are! We ALL have to do that now, it seems. Thank goodness for the internet, since there's so much info at our fingertips now. We don't have to be completely dependent on others for certain types of info. Of course, it IS their jobs to know and to warn us about medications and their side effects, but.....