VancouverSun, May/16:"Psychiatric drugs killing more users than heroin, cocaine"

[La...]

This Vancouver Sun article, entitled "Psychiatric drugs killing more users than heroin, cocaine, say health experts", focuses on street drug users who also take benzodiazepines, but there are important findings and statements that apply to all.

For example:

“There’s not a lot of scientific evidence to say these people should be on these medications chronically,” said Ahamad, acknowledging there is a tendency to lean on prescription psychiatric drugs though other non-pharmacological measures — such as counselling, breathing techniques, psycho-sociological treatment — are available.

And:

“The interesting thing about this is that it’s a prescription drug and people think they’re safe,” Ahamad said. “But as it turns out, we’re probably prescribing these drugs in a way that’s leading to harm.”

The full article is here:

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/psychiatric-drugs-killing-more-users-than-heroin-cocaine-say-health-experts

Lapis,

Thank you so much for this article.  I'm trying to put together a press release for the upcoming Benzo Awareness Day and I'll add these doctors to the list.  This year, I'm aiming lowish, just getting a press release out to the local Vancouver press and letting them know about the Meetup.com group I started here for coming off benzodiazepines and/or sleeping medications (z-drugs).  Next year, I have bigger plans but I'm aiming to start small and hopefully expand.

Really appreciate you combing through news sources for these links.  I read and appreciate every one and when I get a minute, I try to add to the ranks here on this part of the forum.

So thanks and bouquets to you Lapis.  Very much appreciated.

:smitten:

Ali

Dear SS,

You're doing a wonderful thing in Vancouver! Good for you! Keep up the great work!

And, of course, I'm glad to be able to contribute to the already-weighty evidence against the regular use of benzos. I found that Vancouver Sun article when I checked Globe and Mail writer Andre Picard's twitter a bit earlier. It's great to see that journalists are writing about this issue, and I'm hoping that this recent article adds more information and heft to your Benzo Awareness Day press release.