Taper/Withdraw and swelling face/premature aging

[xR...]

Hello, first, sorry if this topic seems shallow, lol.

Since some time in my tapering, I have noticed that there's parts of my face that are swollen or that wrinkles are appearing, especially nostril lines appearing.

I know (from a nurse I know) that psy-meds like benzos can make part of the face swell slightly, especially on the upper-cheeks (sorry for my english) just beside the nose.

I also noticed I just look uglier than before, is it normal? Physical or psychological?

thank you

Hi,

I know what you're talking about.. I think I've aged about 10 years in this process, or it's like my age finally caught up with me.. I'm only 47, and i used to look about 35 before this.. I've got some puffiness around my eyes, definitely a few wrinkles (especially in my forehead) and overall I am bloated now.. so my face is 'swollen' and i have some benzo belly, in addition to some weight gain (from depression in tapering and w/d).. I am not nearly as happy with my appearance now, and can only hope to get most of it back once i start to practice good habits again.  I'm 75 days off of clonezepam now, and i'm just starting to be able to think constructively - for so long i could only practice self-destructive things while tapering, etc. it's baby-steps for sure.  anyhow, i'd advise just trying to take as good as possible about your body while going through this - i didn't cause i just didn't care if i died when i was tapering, etc. YOU are going to want YOUR body back, when you start to feel better! : )  Keep up the good fight!  Praying helps me a lot.. - Eric

• 1 year later...

hi everyone here,

just wanted to have an update from you, did it go away? and if yes, how soon?

i am shocked how my face changed, and i really hate this, especially when i look at my pictures 1 year ago, when i did not look like an alcoholic yet. :(

i'm at 6,5 months now.

I’m glad I’m not the only one.  I look like a completely different person.  It’s like I woke up one morning and I had aged 20 years.  My face is sagging, wrinkles galore.  Maybe I just never realized before because I was so medicated.  It’s definitely a downer.  I’m super hypercritical of everything right now. 

Maybe I just never realized before because I was so medicated.

this was my thought too before i've found my pics from a year ago - and was shocked, face can't change that fast, no. and then found this topic - it's definitely physical. i really wonder, when will my face come back. i kinda feel i don't wanna go out anymore.

I wonder if it's not the stress of this whole thing -- along with the physical wildness that is created in the body. 

I'm counting on looking better when I'm not so stressed! 

But that'll be in about two years.....  :D

SS

Glad you started this post.  I was even thinking of Botox in one area, something I would have never ever considered before...

Or breaking all my mirrors