Controlling hives/welts and choking sensation/swelling

[En...]

Hello, well, I finally decided to join the forum. I became addicted to Lunesta (took for one year), then was taken off c/t in April 2008. 6 days later I ended up in the hospital:  severe migraine, neck felt like it was going to snap off, heart palpitations, near seizures, etc. Learned that Lunesta is like a benzo. Went back on, and then tried to go off. My doc added Xanax and Neurontin to the mix to help "ease" the side effects. I didn't realize that Xanax and Lunesta are so similar. (I only ever took the Lunesta to help me sleep.)  I learned of the Ashton manual, and weaned myself off of Lunesta and Xanax over a period of 6 months (transferred my addiction to diazepam, per the Ashton method). I have been weaning off diazepam since January 1st this year. Currently on 3.5 mg. But, I got the flu 3 weeks ago, and my symptoms have been so much worse! Severe choking/swelling of neck glands (I'm on steroids), plus hives/welts all over my body, and several hundred muscle spasms per day. I only cut my pills right now by .25 mg. every 2-3 weeks. Does anyone else experience such severe hives/rashes or have to take steroids? I literally had an anaphylactic reaction at one point and almost died. (The ER saved my life.) I also take Benadryl every day to help deal with the rashes. Any suggestions, please let me know.

-your fellow survivor

Hello, well, I finally decided to join the forum. I became addicted to Lunesta (took for one year), then was taken off c/t in April 2008. 6 days later I ended up in the hospital:  severe migraine, neck felt like it was going to snap off, heart palpitations, near seizures, etc. Learned that Lunesta is like a benzo. Went back on, and then tried to go off. My doc added Xanax and Neurontin to the mix to help "ease" the side effects. I didn't realize that Xanax and Lunesta are so similar. (I only ever took the Lunesta to help me sleep.)  I learned of the Ashton manual, and weaned myself off of Lunesta and Xanax over a period of 6 months (transferred my addiction to diazepam, per the Ashton method). I have been weaning off diazepam since January 1st this year. Currently on 3.5 mg. But, I got the flu 3 weeks ago, and my symptoms have been so much worse! Severe choking/swelling of neck glands (I'm on steroids), plus hives/welts all over my body, and several hundred muscle spasms per day. I only cut my pills right now by .25 mg. every 2-3 weeks. Does anyone else experience such severe hives/rashes or have to take steroids? I literally had an anaphylactic reaction at one point and almost died. (The ER saved my life.) I also take Benadryl every day to help deal with the rashes. Any suggestions, please let me know.

-your fellow survivor

Hi Endurama,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!!

So glad you have decided to join the forum. I have not heard of anyone developing hives/welts from benzos? Is it possible the Diazepam has caused this? I have seen people say they've had skin rashes. Hopefully, someone will stop by that may have experienced this.

Feel free to start your own thread by clicking "new topic"! If you have more questions, just ask! We're glad you're here!

T2 :smitten:

[f9...]

-your fellow survivor

Welcome Endurama-

I am not sure about the rash and symptoms you mention and have never taken a steriod. Have you spoken with your doctor about the rash?

Just Breathe

Hello, I became addicted to Lunesta (took 1 yr.) then was taken off c/t in April 2008. 6 days later I ended up in the hospital: severe migraines, neck felt like it was going to snap off, heart palpitations, severe tremors, etc. Learned that Lunesta is like a benzo. Went back on, and then tried to go off. My doc added Xanax and Neurontin to the mix to help "ease" the side effects. I didn't realize that Xanax and Lunesta are so similar. (I only ever took the Lunesta to help me sleep.) I learned of the Ashton manual, and weaned myself off of Lunesta and Xanax over a period of 6 months (transferred my Rx to diazepam instead, per the Ashton method). I have been weaning off diazepam since January 1st this year. Currently on 3.5 mg. But, I got the flu 3 weeks ago, and my symptoms have been so much worse! Severe choking/swelling of neck glands and pressure in ears (I'm on steroids), plus hives/welts all over my body, and several hundred muscle spasms per day. I only cut my pills right now by .25 mg. ever 2-3 weeks. Does anyone else experience worsening of symptoms after the flu? Also, do you experience such severe hives/rashes or have to take steroids and Benadryl daily like I do? I literally had an anaphylactic reaction at one point and almost died. (The ER saved my life.) I hate having to take steroids and Benadryl every day, but don't know what else to do. Any suggestions, please let me know.

-Your fellow benzo survivor

The skin rashes are listed as a possible side effect in the Ashton manual. I have spoken to my doctor. The rashes always get worse after a cut. Welts will appear within minutes at times, and then be gone 30 minutes later. Very weird. I never had any of this prior to starting benzos, so I can only assume that it is another symptom of withdrawal. Just wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same thing. We'll see. Thanks so much!

Hi Endurama, I got some strange skin things during w/d that looked like poison oak but not, and I do get welts like that from sulfa drugs so I know what you mean. My eyelids got all itchy and strange looking and I did get a rash on the back of my arms and one on my jaw from benzo w/d. I didn't take anything for it. The whole thing did "feel" like some kind of anaphylactic reaction...but in my case was w/d.

Thank you for that. It makes me not feel so alone, you know? Did you experience swelling in your neck/throat as well?

Well hard to say if the same as yours, but I had a very long phase of difficulty breathing and difficulty swallowing, a lot of choking and that sort of thing. In the very beginning of my cold turkey I do believe docs thought was some major allergic reaction or something because it did look very much like that. I had very red palms (hands) and souls (feet) please edema in feet, face, neck, etc.

When I quit Klonopin cold turkey about a week later I broke out in red bumps all over my torso.  After a few days those faded and my arms and legs were covered.  I figured it was the poison leaching out of my body because I didn't know anything about benzo and withdrawal symptoms.  Horrible stuff!

Hi Endurama,

Welcome to Benzobuddies. Your doing well to get down to 3.5mgs, im sorry your having a hard time though, but if it is benzo related then it will go!

love lynn xx  :smitten: