FDA: Quinolones bad all around

[be...]

Fluoroquinolone Antibacterial Drugs: Drug Safety Communication - FDA Advises Restricting Use for Certain Uncomplicated Infections

May 12, 2016

ISSUE: FDA is advising that the serious side effects associated with fluoroquinolone antibacterial drugs generally outweigh the benefits for patients with sinusitis, bronchitis, and uncomplicated urinary tract infections who have other treatment options. For patients with these conditions, fluoroquinolones should be reserved for those who do not have alternative treatment options.

An FDA safety review has shown that fluoroquinolones when used systemically (i.e. tablets, capsules, and injectable) are associated with disabling and potentially permanent serious side effects that can occur together. These side effects can involve the tendons, muscles, joints, nerves, and central nervous system.

As a result, FDA is requiring the drug labels and Medication Guides for all fluoroquinolone antibacterial drugs to be updated to reflect this new safety information. FDA is continuing to investigate safety issues with fluoroquinolones and will update the public with additional information if it becomes available.

See the FDA Drug Safety Communication for a list of currently available FDA approved fluoroquinolones for systemic use.

BACKGROUND: The safety issues described in the Drug Safety Communication were also discussed at an FDA Advisory Committee meeting in November 2015.

RECOMMENDATION: Patients should contact your health care professional immediately if you experience any serious side effects while taking your fluoroquinolone medicine. Some signs and symptoms of serious side effects include tendon, joint and muscle pain, a “pins and needles” tingling or pricking sensation, confusion, and hallucinations. Patients should talk with your health care professional if you have any questions or concerns.

Health care professionals should stop systemic fluoroquinolone treatment immediately if a patient reports serious side effects, and switch to a non-fluoroquinolone antibacterial drug to complete the patient’s treatment course.

Healthcare professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:

Complete and submit the report Online: www.fda.gov/MedWatch/report

Download form or call 1-800-332-1088 to request a reporting form, then complete and return to the address on the pre-addressed form, or submit by fax to 1-800-FDA-0178

[05/12/2016 - Drug Safety Communication - FDA]

Thanks for posting that Benzogirl.  I have already had to tell two different doctors that I cannot take quinolones. They ask me why and  when I tell them I am still recovering/in wd from benzos and I'm not supposed to take them they look at me like I'm crazy.  The information you posted is an additional reason not to take those awful drugs!

[glow=red,2,300]BG,[/glow] thanks for this thread, I recently was sick for one month with bronchitis, and I knew if I went to Doctor, the first medication they would advise the class of drugs mentioned, so I d/x myself, rested more, ate a ton of Homemade Chicken Noodle soup, and finally I am over it. Now I know if I really needed an Antibiotic I would have went, but I was afraid of the chance of My Doctor wanting to give me this class of drugs. He is a sweetheart, but I just can't keep on refusing taking medication he wants me to take. Like Cholesterol pills, I lower my fat levels with diet and exercise. That being said I probably will still argue gently with him about medication. And honestly I did need to go see him, but  I am really afraid of those antibiotics, and I am not the scary type.

Thank you Bets for posting this information. I have made it a point to tell my doctors..please NO floroquinolone antibiotics. One doctor responded by saying something to the effect of “we use them sparingly”.

[glow=red,2,300]BG,[/glow] thanks for this thread, I recently was sick for one month with bronchitis, and I knew if I went to Doctor, the first medication they would advise the class of drugs mentioned, so I d/x myself, rested more, ate a ton of Homemade Chicken Noodle soup, and finally I am over it. Now I know if I really needed an Antibiotic I would have went, but I was afraid of the chance of My Doctor wanting to give me this class of drugs. He is a sweetheart, but I just can't keep on refusing taking medication he wants me to take. Like Cholesterol pills, I lower my fat levels with diet and exercise. That being said I probably will still argue gently with him about medication. And honestly I did need to go see him, but  I am really afraid of those antibiotics, and I am not the scary type.

BG

I  think they just should be banned. And I know you, as you don't scare easily. :smitten: See ya in Off Topic!!

Cipro is what ruined my life and got me on Valium for so many years.

I took 3 pills....  my skin was on fire, whole body nerve pain.  I had uncontrollable bouts of crying.... like full on couldn't breathe, snot all down my face crying fits.  It gave me severe anxiety and panic attacks along with bouts of mania.  Years later I'm still suffering from the ligament, muscle and nerve damage.

And don't think that because you've taken it before and was fine that you will always be fine with it!  I'd taken Cipro at least 3 times before with no ill effects.  It's additive... taking it is like lighting a slow burn fuse on a nuclear warhead.... Maybe the fuse burns out before it reaches the bomb... but now it's shorter, and each time you take the drug it gets shorter still until BOOOM!  It blows you and your life to bits.

Hey I need help

I took a 1.25ml of Valium at night for about 5 weeks to help with sleep due to a broken hand and anxiety. Then I had stopped taking the v over the next week and was then given the quinolone antibiotic. Only took 2 doses and had immediate reaction.

I'm still having side effects. Sound sensitivity a hiss in my left ear which gets louder during the course of the day and burning in ears along with intense anxiety and insomnia. Intense burning muscle pain in different parts of my body and insane fear and mania. I'm really not sure what to do. I'm not taking any drugs at all I'm just eating healthy.

Any suggestions?

Ugggghhhh... I feel for you man  (((hugs)))

From what I remember reading online... Magnesium was big in helping, and antioxidants.  If you google help for floxing you'll find a lot of information.

Hey I need help

I took a 1.25ml of Valium at night for about 5 weeks to help with sleep due to a broken hand and anxiety. Then I had stopped taking the v over the next week and was then given the quinolone antibiotic. Only took 2 doses and had immediate reaction.

I'm still having side effects. Sound sensitivity a hiss in my left ear which gets louder during the course of the day and burning in ears along with intense anxiety and insomnia. Intense burning muscle pain in different parts of my body and insane fear and mania. I'm really not sure what to do. I'm not taking any drugs at all I'm just eating healthy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks yeah i actually did find floxie hope just after it happened and have been on a super clean diet and magnesium and other suppliments. Actually i think i have just plain old valium withdrawal with a cold turkey. most of the people who are floxed are dealing with tendon damage and mitochondriah damage. i have only CNS symptoms so i am searching for help with benzo withdrawal type damage. mainly burning muscle tension in ankles and forearms, sound sensitivity, anxiety insomania and some tinnitus