Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Balance Problems

[Me...]

My balance feels off.....well I think that is my problem.  The sensation feels very odd.  I kinda feel like things are moving but I don't see them moving.  Can anyone help?  Maybe someone else can explain it better.

Do any of you have balance problems?  What did it feel like for you and how did you cope?  Is there anything that can help?

Thank you for your help!

MJ/I accept healing

Hi melissaj,

This has been my worst symptom since coming off benzo's, i always think im on a boat rocking, everything seems to move when im sitting and walking is just awful...

This is what it says in the ashton manual, i hope it helps you...

Problems with balance. Some people during benzodiazepine withdrawal report feeling unsteady on their feet; sometimes they feel they are being pushed to one side or feel giddy, as if things were going round and round. An important organ in controlling motor stability and maintaining equilibrium is a part of the brain called the cerebellum. This organ is densely packed with GABA and benzodiazepine receptors (See Chapter I) and is a prime site of action of benzodiazepines. Excessive doses of benzodiazepines, like alcohol, cause unsteadiness of gait, slurred speech and general incoordination, including inability to walk in a straight line. It may take some time for the cerebellar systems to restabilise after benzodiazepine withdrawal and the symptoms can last until this process is complete. Exercises, such as standing on one leg, first with eyes open, then with eyes closed, can speed recovery.

love lynn xx  :smitten:

Hi Melissa:

I have balance issues and interestingly they did not kick in until after I had finished my taper.  Lynnie and I have spent lots of time looking for anything to take care of this and haven't found anything.  Mine are going away very slowly.  The only cure for this one seems to be time.

ntw

Hi Melissa,

I still have balance issues, that started after getting off Klon.  Get kinda dizzy sometimes, especially when I stand up after bending over and try to take a step or something.  I just grab onto something, usually.  This is actually one of my least worrisome symptoms, to be honest.  I can deal with this one.

adelia

My balance feels off.....well I think that is my problem.  The sensation feels very odd.  I kinda feel like things are moving but I don't see them moving.  Can anyone help?  Maybe someone else can explain it better.

Do any of you have balance problems?  What did it feel like for you and how did you cope?  Is there anything that can help?

Thank you for your help!

MJ/I accept healing

This has been an ongoing symptom since day one of withdrawal for me.  It is now seven & 3/4 months later and I am still plagued with that symptom---but not as intense.  It is a daily thing I go through.  I read it's called "perceptual distortion."  There are a few sensations I have while experiencing this:

Moving floors--when i walk it appears the floors move

Quick Sand--feels like my legs are being pulled into the ground/floor

Force Field--like an unseen force is pushing my head or limbs in different directions.

Rock the Boat--when brushing my teeth the sink moves like i am on a boat.

Out to Sea--worse than the above; feels like i am hanging on to the side of the boat drifting out to sea.

Wobbly Head--even though the mirror tells me my head isn't moving, it feels like it is doing figure eights on my neck.

Magic Carpet Ride--when i sit propped up on my bed or couch, i feel like i moving in waves on the carpet ride.

The above 7 sensations I have been feeling have lightened some in the 6th month--but then when I experience stressful times it feels like I am back on the boat again so it is important to stay as stress free as possible. 

I coped and still do cope by having hope that someday soon I will be all the way better.  There is no medication to make it go away.  I did and still do those standing on one leg exercises with eyes shut.

Just to let you know how this does get better with "time" back in March I couldn't even walk without having to hold on to someone. I couldn't hold anything in my hands.  I felt all of the above symptoms extremely intense.  There has been improvement and I know I am healing. And you will too as will all of us!  Keep the faith and take it one day at a time and pace yourself with what you do.  Look in the mirror and smile and be happy that you are freeing yourself from a terrible toxin.  You are well and someday soon you will feel it!!

My best to you,

Deni

Hi Melissa

I to have had balance issues since off benzos.  I came off over 3 weeks (too fast) and the first year off could hardly stand, let alone walk without feeling like falling over, legs like jelly.  In the second year off got bad vertigo - spinning sensations, floor moving, feeling like walking on a trampoline etc.  Also felt as if being pushed over when sitting and being tilted when lying.  Not at 2 yrs off Ive had my first break from most of that and it has been wonderful - if stressed it comes back a bit, but hoping it lasts a while.  But I have hope it will go permanently soon.

All you can do is adjust to it I found and hold on to things wherever you go - I put baskets of laundry by toilet at night so I had something to hold onto and I also got a stool for the shower to sit on and a bar to hold in the shower.  At its worst (when had vertigo issues also) I had a walker to get around.  I find when walking that putting an arm around someone helps as it gives your brain a starting point as to where you are.  Other than that, good old acceptance and time is all that really works.

Wishing you luck on your journey..

Spring xx

Hi Spring and Denikita,

Thank you for posting to my tread!  As I was reading today I noticed that it seems like I am reading in a moving car.....but things are not moving.  Just the sensation of moving.  Yesterday was a good day. No balance problems as far as I could tell but walking around in the dark while my children trick-n-treated I felt very off balance.  I guess it would be similar to closing my eyes with one leg up....off balance basically. 

I also stand on one leg often.  I alternate between both legs.  Some moments are worse than others but over all good.  Got to retrain our brains I guess with out the benzos.

I am sorry that most of you are still suffering.  BUT I am so glad to hear that you have made improvements.  I have been very blessed that my balance issues do not seem to be as intense of needing something to hold onto.  It is more of a BIG annoyance.  I think I make it bigger than it needs to be.  A couple of times I have gotten the spins but they only last a few minutes and I just told my head....no stop we are not going to do this and it stopped....weird huh! 

Anyway thank you for sharing your stories.  Keep on improving as I know that you will and are.  Remember......The power that made your body will heal the body!

Love,

MJ :smitten:

Hello All,

I can attest and agree with all these balance issues. Denikita you describe alot of my balance issues daily. They are hard to understand and very frustrating so I will just accept that my body is relearning some things and accept that I will be healing as days go by.  I also have not the found the magic pill or exercise to alleviate these issues but find to keep moving helps and don't give up! This poison did alot of bad things to our bodies and I guess we have to allow our bodies some slack to heal. Good luck to all with these issues as my heart goes out to you all.

Sid

(((((((Sid)))))))

My favorite little buddie...lol!  Mary Ann here...lol!  I agree that I need to keep moving so the sensations of moving don't overwhelm me.  I went four wheeling yesterday afternoon into the evening and I had the BEST time.  Even in the dark my balance didn't bother me. I was so into the moment of being crazy that I forgot about w/d.  When I got off I felt stiff but I got over it quick and did not let those thoughts of "what is bother me now" get me down. 

Let's all go four wheeling okay!

MJ