WORLD BENZO DAY HITS NEWS!!!

[be...]

Just curious- is the aim of this world benzo day movement truly to promote awareness of benzo abuse (in addition to dependence) or is this another example of journalists adding buzzwords to sensationalize a story?

To the BB Team: To be honest, I'm not really sure why they made reference to abuse, as this was never discussed in the interview.

I did however, post the following clarification on their comments (I hope I've got it right...):

CLARIFICATION:

I would like to thank Jereco for writing this article, but must confirm that my website is not a “benzo ‘abuse’ advocacy website” but rather a “benzo dependency advocacy website” which aims to highlight the problem of doctor induced dependency and associated iatrogenic damages in cases where innocent citizens simply take the drugs ‘as prescribed’ with absolutely no association to ‘abuse’ at all.

Although, I must point out that, because of the highly addictive nature of these prescription drugs, they can sometimes lead to so-called ‘abuse’ in some cases because people need to take more and more to maintain the drug effects due to the development of tolerance and neruo adaptation (to suppress withdrawal reactions) – this is why they are not recommended for more than 2-4 weeks, but so many doctors negligently prescribe well beyond this – often for many years, and worse yet, co-prescribe them which can cause irreversible damages and can even be lethal. But even in such cases as these, it's still the doctors causing the problems in the first instance...

Recreational use in the streets is an entirely separate issue and pales in comparison to the numbers suffering at the hands of their doctors and associated socio-economic costs to society.

It just seems like journalists love to throw around the words "abuse" and "addiction" freely when neither usually apply, and as much as everyone likes to see the benzo issue getting publicity I am not convinced that it does much to help our cause when anyone who reads the article is lead to believe that the problems with these drugs stem from "defects" in the patient rather than the changes the drugs cause to our brains. Matter of fact I would even go so far as to say that it's a step backwards because it leads people to believe that it could never happen to them.

I appreciate your efforts to help the cause though. The only way this will ever change is if we start to speak out.

Although Im in agreement with clarifying the distictions between dependency and abuse I do however, see the imortance of the fight to be against both. Regardless of whether or not you are dependant or an abuser, these drugs are harming people. And that is what matters. Big Pharma and prescribing docs are at fault here for flooding our neighborhoods with these meds. Exactly like a sreet corner drug dealer. I dont care how you dress it up, call it an office or a store...you are still just a drug pusher...

Although Im in agreement with clarifying the distictions between dependency and abuse I do however, see the imortance of the fight to be against both. Regardless of whether or not you are dependant or an abuser, these drugs are harming people. And that is what matters. Big Pharma and prescribing docs are at fault here for flooding our neighborhoods with these meds. Exactly like a sreet corner drug dealer. I dont care how you dress it up, call it an office or a store...you are still just a drug pusher...

The problem is that abuse isn't really the problem.

You can end up with a hellacious withdrawal whether you abuse the drugs or not. There seems to be an issue with some people abusing benzos and opiates together but I wonder how big that issues really is. How many people are dying from that combo? I honestly have no idea but I would guess that it pales in comparison to the number of people who are having their lives ripped apart when there was no abuse of the drug whatsoever. And the problem is that as soon as the words "abuse" and "addiction" come up people tune out. They don't understand the true nature of the problem, they don't believe it could ever happen to them and they have no sympathy for anyone who does find themselves harmed by these drugs because they are lead to believe that the patient brought it on themselves.

Kudos to Jereco from Morning News USA.

Jereco has removed the word “abuse” from the article, but fair of him to say that he wanted to address the recreational use side as well.

He also said: “If you have additional information, we can probably make a follow-up story for this. Or have someone talk about their experience in a feature type article.”

Please let me know if interested.

Wayne

http://www.morningnewsusa.com/exclusive-world-benzo-awareness-day-first-step-end-global-dependency-woes-2374611.html

Kudos to Jereco from Morning News USA.

Jereco has removed the word “abuse” from the article, but fair of him to say that he wanted to address the recreational use side as well.

He also said: “If you have additional information, we can probably make a follow-up story for this. Or have someone talk about their experience in a feature type article.”

Please let me know if interested.

Wayne

http://www.morningnewsusa.com/exclusive-world-benzo-awareness-day-first-step-end-global-dependency-woes-2374611.html

That's fantastic! Really glad to see that journalists will listen.

Totally not ok to blame people for becoming dependant or addicted to habit forming drugs. Seriously? Prescribing physicians have a duty an obligation to assist in coming off these drugs. It is reckless to abandon patients when things become complicated. And trust me if you doc keeps you on benzos for an extended period of time, it will get complicated. Seems to me when to the going gets tough far too many docs are throwing in the towel and not properly seeing things through. Must be nice for them to sleep at night knowing the failures of their so called patients. Do they care at all? Wow, shameful...