Discussion: Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

[dr...]

Donnie,

Two sucked big time for me.  Some things changed, some things decreased in duration and intensity, some things went away, other things popped in and out, no windows for me.  I was always suffering intensely with one thing or another.  It does get better slowly.

Sofa

Wow, Sofa, this is great! Thanks so much for compiling this for us!

I'm definitely (slowly) crossing from 2 into 3, more in 2 still, much more still in 2. However, this last week and the one before have caused me able to relate to three. I hope that means it's around the corner?

What a great "schedule" to utilize. Thanks again!

This is very accurate to my progression.  I've never seen anything describing it so well.  My acute wasn't a big jump in symptoms for me. I was in tolerance withdrawal for years

Bhealthy,

Yay!  We're getting there.  I still feel like poop on a stick, but not having the huge waves as long as I'm careful.  Wish this head whooshing would stop.  And the drugged feeling.  And the cortisol mornings.  And. And. And.

Sofa

I think i am going from 2 to 3.

I was wondering if there is also a pattern to sx that come in different phases or leave like what are the sx that most commonly leave earlier vs ones that stick around?? There might be stats or scientific info on this? Im tired of feeling tight and bound up although its off and on. And same for sleep.

Phase 2 here. Hating it, and wishing there was a timeline. That way I could tell myself, "Just x more months and it will improve." It's  like when I used to run the 800m for the track team. It was a dead sprint for two laps, pure misery into that second 400 - but the finish line was always in view. I think that's what slays me about this process. Six months in and no finish line in sight. Anyway, great post Sofa. Thanks!

Drew,

I've read all your posts since the beginning and your tapering was challenging, but your transition to acute wasn't like driving head on into a brick wall at 100 mph.  It struck me that some people who taper might have a softer landing into acute.  I really do believe that we all catch up to each other, no matter how we came off the drugs.  I couldn't taper because I only took Ativan for 2.5 months sporadically, going days without taking any, even a couple weeks without.  It wouldn't make sense to start taking it regularly and then taper off.  Oh well, I did what I did 18 months ago.  Forward is the only direction we go, right?

Sofa

Kris,

I have this feeling that the "core" symptoms we get when we first jump, the ones that hammer us all the time, either up front every day (my case) or are always simmering in the background, no matter what new stuff we are dealing with, are going to be the last ones to go.  Ugh!  I could be wrong, but so far I've been right about myself anyway.  My core symptoms are hanging on tight.  As I write this my heart is racing and my head is whooshing like a washing machine.  I wish I was wrong about this.  Grrrrr.

Sofa

Illneverdothisagain,

You are moving like gangbusters through this process.  You are seeing so many improvements very early in the game.

Good for you!  Keep going!

Sofa

Wontbackdown,

You are a trooper.  Keep trudging forward.  There IS a pattern and a progression to this madness.  If we just keep hanging in there, we heal.

Sofa

Illneverdothisagain,

You are moving like gangbusters through this process.  You are seeing so many improvements very early in the game.

Good for you!  Keep going!

Sofa

Thanks, Sofa! I'm not leaving here til you're 100%. Although I'm confident you'll beat me to the finish line. ;)

Aw, Illneverdothisagain, you've always been so supportive on this forum.  If you get to the healing door before me, could you leave it open a crack so I can stick my foot in the opening?  I will be here until you finish too.  That's what friends do.

Love, Sofa

You're sweet, my friend. If I get there first, I'll be right on the other side holding be door *wide* open for you. And I have all the faith in the world you're right around he corner.

:smitten::thumbsup:

Am I crazy, or is this a freaking awesome piece of writing?  ;D

I love this.  Can I copy it and save it in my notes?  If not, I can just bookmark it to refer it to people who are asking timeline questions.

sofa,Not sure where you get all your good info,but i sure appreciate it!Nice to have something to measure yourself and healing.wen :)

Job300,

I have constant fears about "When will this be over?" and "Maybe this is the new me," and "I can't do this for 3 more years," and "Am I close to the end?" etc. etc. etc.  I am the Grand Ruminator.

For me, this journey is so tortuous because nobody can tell us when it will end.  We then, automatically, go to the worst case scenario:  MAYBE IT WILL NEVER END

It's simply not true.  We all heal.  Different timelines, different patterns, different symptoms, same prognosis:  It is temporary.  It all goes away for everybody.  We don't know when because everybody is unique.  We heal when we heal.

We are not in the driver's seat on this trip.  We are passengers.  Our brain and CNS are the driver and the navigator.  We need to help them along by staying calm and employing coping skills, so they don't get all wonky with panic and can't concentrate on getting us to our destination.  We need to just look outside the car window and see the sights.  That's all.  Just chill.

Easier said than done, believe me, I KNOW...with this anxiety screaming in my ears!  But we have to get up every Groundhog Day and do it again and again until it's done.

Sofa

Aw, Challis, you are the BEST.  I love you, my friend.

You can copy it, wrap fish in it, light fire to it, it's yours.  I hope it gives one person hope.  That would make me happy.

Love, Sofa