Bananas?

[tr...]

I love bananas and I would eat one every morning....until benzo wd.  They would rev up my symptoms really bad and now I know why.  It was almost 2 years before I could eat bananas again and I still don't do it every day.

Banana peel contains alcohol

Your mother probably advised you to bite into a banana before an alcoholic drink, but she'd probably think twice now. Scientists have discovered that banana peel contains 11 per cent alcohol. And what's more, the National Research Centre for Banana (NRCB) has developed the technology for producing alcohol from the peel of the common fruit.

Tryptophan and Serotonin

An urban legend states that the dried skin of the banana fruit contains the fictitious substance "bananadine", and is hallucinogenic when smoked. Unlike many such legends, the origin of this one has been traced. It dates back to an article in the underground newspaper Berkeley Barb in March 1967, and became widespread after William Powell, believing it to be true, included it in The Anarchist Cookbook in 1970.

This legend is not entirely without merit: bananas contain tryptophan which, when ingested, increases levels of serotonin in the body (the same effect as Prozac). This can lead to various mood-altering effects (Leathwood and Pollet, 1982) including a reduction in depression (Sainio et al., 1996). As well, Xiao et al. (1998) found that eating just two bananas a day for three days increased levels of serotonin in the blood by 16%. However, there is no mention in the literature of tryptophan having any hallucinogenic effects; it has, in fact, been used to reduce hallucinations in patients with mental disorders (Sainio et al., 1996). It is also debatable whether smoking tryptophan would be successful as a method of administration. 

Sources: Wikipedia 

You're not eating the peels, right?  lol

I have one before bed most nights with some milk.  I never noticed if they made me more anxious, but when I was hypersensative to foods, I had to stop eating them because the inside of my mouth would be all weird.  Kind of like eating an underripe banana.

You're not eating the peels, right?  lol

I have one before bed most nights with some milk.  I never noticed if they made me more anxious, but when I was hypersensative to foods, I had to stop eating them because the inside of my mouth would be all weird.  Kind of like eating an underripe banana.

Nope! Never tried the peels.  :laugh:  It was very weird that they would rev up symptoms...... maybe it was the 'Prozac' affect?  I don't know why, I just know that they did.  They didn't make me anxious, they made the burning worse.

That's really interesting. They can make my mouth itch so I don't eat them much either but I LOVE them too! :D I know they say the alcohol is in the peels but a ripe banana tastes pretty "fermented" to me! Maybe it's a little of both? ???

That's really interesting. They can make my mouth itch so I don't eat them much either but I LOVE them too! :D I know they say the alcohol is in the peels but a ripe banana tastes pretty "fermented" to me! Maybe it's a little of both? ???

It's interesting that they make your mouth itch.  Do you think that's an allergic reaction?  Did they do that before benzos?

This is what I found really interesting and wonder that since they can give us what Prozac does, especially if eaten daily, if that is what is affecting us.

bananas contain tryptophan which, when ingested, increases levels of serotonin in the body (the same effect as Prozac). This can lead to various mood-altering effects (Leathwood and Pollet, 1982) including a reduction in depression (Sainio et al., 1996). As well, Xiao et al. (1998) found that eating just two bananas a day for three days increased levels of serotonin in the blood by 16%. However, there is no mention in the literature of tryptophan having any hallucinogenic effects; it has, in fact, been used to reduce hallucinations in patients with mental disorders (Sainio et al., 1996).

[a6...]

I have no idea.....I love my banana's....staring at it right now on my desk and about to eat it...find them calming :o

JB

and I do not eat the peel or bite the peel :thumbsup:

Just a quick point on the bananas.  My husband is Type 2 Diabetic and he has been warned not to eat bananas when as they get riper.  The sugar content gets higher, the riper they get.  But then who wants to eat green bananas? :D

I've never had any problems with bananas, in fact somewhere on this site it has been recommended that we eat a banana before bed as the tryptothan is a relaxant.

It's also been suggested that it's the sugar in bananas that affect wd so everyone will have to see how it affects them.  All I know is that I really missed them when I couldn't eat them.  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

I Love Bananas too

used to be a very favorite of mine until I had food allery testing yep all my favorites were on the list..

lately i was wondering if they are acidic as they seem to sting the inside of my mouth and so does my other favorite food avacado and it stiings too just eating both straight and thinking they are acidic...

Just a thought...

Pennyblue

Pennyblue -

look up Food Allergy & Cross-Reactivity and "oral allergy syndrome" - I ran into this in my own reading this summer trying to decipher some of my symptoms.

From http://www.chop.edu/service/allergy/allergy-and-asthma-information/oral-allergy-syndrome.html#cross  - (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia)

Pollen  Potential Cross-reactive Foods

Latex Bananas, avocado, kiwi, chestnut, papaya

notice that bananas and avocados are cross reactive foods of latex -- are you allergic to latex?

Pennyblue -

look up Food Allergy & Cross-Reactivity and "oral allergy syndrome" - I ran into this in my own reading this summer trying to decipher some of my symptoms.

From http://www.chop.edu/service/allergy/allergy-and-asthma-information/oral-allergy-syndrome.html#cross  - (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia)

Pollen  Potential Cross-reactive Foods

Latex Bananas, avocado, kiwi, chestnut, papaya

notice that bananas and avocados are cross reactive foods of latex -- are you allergic to latex?

Annie

thanks so much for the link it was very interesting. Yep allergic to latex whacky isn't it? :tickedoff:

Papaya is ok for me but Mango wow you should see my mouth and fresh dill too.

I live with food allergies and asthma all my life and thought most of it was gluten problems so this was an eye opener too.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Good luck to all you banana lovers out there I love them but they do not love me.

Pennyblue

Pennyblue

Annie who is the beautiful Black and white cat I see in your avatar??

You Know I love cats so had to ask

Pennybleu

so wierd latex and banana having a conneciton

That is Spot, the cat we got at the shelter in July - she had been there 6 1/2 months and was scared to death coming into our household.  I think Spot is the final name for her but I never really know as she has had about 4 or 5 by now.  She is pretty adjusted now but gets spooked easily still.  We think there was trauma in her background and so she has PTSD.  She has an excellent role model in our other cat and does mimic her. 

In finding out about oral allergy syndrome I was looking for allergies to bananas, hibiscus, and rose hips that would set off burning mouth sensations.  I did not think I was allergic to latex but I may be as I was getting some nasty looking rashes off a wrap I was using that contained latex.  I am now seeing problem possibly with garlic which is a staple of our diet. 

The burning mouth problems I was having are probably related to trigeminal neuralgia, which the neurologist thought I might have.  I do seem to have trigeminal nerve problems/damage.  Whatever it is, it isn't fun to deal with. 

That is Spot, the cat we got at the shelter in July - she had been there 6 1/2 months and was scared to death coming into our household.  I think Spot is the final name for her but I never really know as she has had about 4 or 5 by now.  She is pretty adjusted now but gets spooked easily still.  We think there was trauma in her background and so she has PTSD.   She has an excellent role model in our other cat and does mimic her. 

In finding out about oral allergy syndrome I was looking for allergies to bananas, hibiscus, and rose hips that would set off burning mouth sensations.   I did not think I was allergic to latex but I may be as I was getting some nasty looking rashes off a wrap I was using that contained latex.  I am now seeing problem possibly with garlic which is a staple of our diet. 

The burning mouth problems I was having are probably related to trigeminal neuralgia, which the neurologist thought I might have.  I do seem to have trigeminal nerve problems/damage.  Whatever it is, it isn't fun to deal with. 

Dear Annie

I love spot she is one lucky cat

I can only relate my story about garlic

I started taking garlic pills for high cholesterol about 10 yrs ago way before xanex in my life anyway  real garlic gives me a stomaach so I had to stay away from cloves of G so I turned to the pills thinking it was just a pill for healathy living.

Well after about 2 weeks I developed horrible sores on my tongue and throat and it was the garlic pills

Apparently I cannot take itin any form.

You mentioned garlic I am just wondering hum could it be.....................

Sandy

gotta run can talk later...