Important Survey - Please Participate ×

After 20 Years

[ia...]

I have been taking Librium for 10 years and Xanax for 20 Off and On. I attempted to refill my Librium script today...and was called several hours later by my Physicians secretary. The Pharmacy called and said that I had requested a refill on a Benzo. My Doctor told her to tell me that 2 Benzos were" inappropriate" and that I would have to "Choose One". I assume something has changed in the Medical/ Pharmacutical world that I was unaware of ????????  I have my regularly scheduled 3 month Appt with my Doctor tomorrow. Any advice on how to educate him that you just cannot STOP taking Librium ( or any other Benzo) after 20 years of daily use????  I admit this has me a bit freaked out....since I have read the horror stories of Benzo Withdrawl, Gabba Receptors, etc.....  My dose is 25 mg twice per day of Librium, and Xanax as needed. Could use some advice

Thanks in advance

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ia...]

• [on...]

• [Ph...]

• [Bi...]

20 Years is a long time.

Choosing one over the other is not easy. Diffferent chemical make-up...HENCE 2 DIFFERENT BENZOS! I wouldnt mind tapering off the Librium, but I have the feeling my Doc has neither the time, knowledge or interest in the long term effects of daily benzo use for 20 years. What do I do?

[80...]

I'd definitely ask why the switch in policy (we'd all like to hear the answer).  I'd also ask him for a personal guarantee that he'll see you through this change - no matter what.  Get it in writing.

If he wants you on just one, you would want for the dose to be equivalent to the combination that you're currently taking.  That should (hopefully) mitigate the worst of the switch.

I have been taking Librium for 10 years and Xanax for 20 Off and On. I attempted to refill my Librium script today...and was called several hours later by my Physicians secretary. The Pharmacy called and said that I had requested a refill on a Benzo. My Doctor told her to tell me that 2 Benzos were" inappropriate" and that I would have to "Choose One". I assume something has changed in the Medical/ Pharmacutical world that I was unaware of ????????  I have my regularly scheduled 3 month Appt with my Doctor tomorrow. Any advice on how to educate him that you just cannot STOP taking Librium ( or any other Benzo) after 20 years of daily use????  I admit this has me a bit freaked out....since I have read the horror stories of Benzo Withdrawl, Gabba Receptors, etc.....  My dose is 25 mg twice per day of Librium, and Xanax as needed. Could use some advice

Thanks in advance

He probably already knows that, but if you google "benzodiazepine withdrawal" or "tapering benzodiazepine" you should more than enough info to share with him.

Thank you for the advice Badsocref. The problem is that Librium has a much Longer Half-Life than Xanax....but Xanax works much faster ( and for me more effectively) So, by the sound of his message...he wants me to "Pick One"....leading me to believe he thinks more of One will compensate for the other. Because they are chemically different...it isnt that easy. Otherwise....no need for 2 different medications. Same would apply for Opiates. No need for Vicodin, Percocet, Duilaudin, etc....  just one medication fits all.

Not how it works.

I just dont know how understanding he will be about this.

And I cannot come off as a "drug seeker" just wanting use these to get high.

Its been so long...it isnt like tht for long term benzo users. To us...its all about maintaining and surviving

Hope you are right Builder.

I do plan on taking in my Research with me.

Enough to convince...but not overwhlem

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[80...]

Thank you for the advice Badsocref. The problem is that Librium has a much Longer Half-Life than Xanax....but Xanax works much faster ( and for me more effectively) So, by the sound of his message...he wants me to "Pick One"....leading me to believe he thinks more of One will compensate for the other. Because they are chemically different...it isnt that easy. Otherwise....no need for 2 different medications. Same would apply for Opiates. No need for Vicodin, Percocet, Duilaudin, etc....  just one medication fits all.

Not how it works.

I just dont know how understanding he will be about this.

And I cannot come off as a "drug seeker" just wanting use these to get high.

Its been so long...it isnt like tht for long term benzo users. To us...its all about maintaining and surviving

I understand that there are differences in onset, duration, active metabolites, and even slight differences in the interaction with GABAA.  But if you are forced to move to just one med, I'd think that you would want to keep an equivalent amount of 'calming agent' inside of you.  That can be calculated (at least approximately).  I just figured that you might want to have those numbers with you at your appt. (just in case).

• 1 month later...
Well....my physician was very open to a slow Taper...And to allow the alprazolem script to be filled While I am tapering Librium. Just knowing it is there has allowed me not to use it. I have only Cut .5mg ...plus one less 10.mil pills a week so far. I can feel a noticeable uptick in anxiety.....but so far it is manageable. So currently I've switched to 20mg once per day of Librium. No other prescriptions taken. A little more anxious....harder to focus.....eyesight has gotten worse....motivation comes and goes. ....light sensitive. ...and more aware of Noises. Sound like withdrawal?

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I know it's only been 3 weeks since my cut began, but I am having a hard time. With all my knowledge and information available on this Great Board...I STILL do not want to accept any withdraw symptoms as being authentic! Feel like I am in a low mood fog. By cutting DOWN on a tanquilizer....logic tells me you should feel UP not DOWN. Since it is hard to focus....any words to direct me? I would appreciate it.

[80...]

Sorry that you're starting to fee poorly.  Unfortunately, logic and 'how you should feel' fly out the window during this withdrawal.  Acceptance of whatever comes is essential (easy words to type; difficult to do sometimes).

Be sure to hold if your symptoms get gnarly (there's a word you don't see much anymore).

Thanks. I thought I felt bad 3 days ago...HA ! Yesterday and today my body really let me know it was objecting to the reduction of Librium. Just some random thoughts to vent...maybe will benefit someone else going through something similiar. Low energy is an understatement,  depressed thoughts, nervousness, apathy, worry,feelings of worthlessness, lack of focus,  light sleeping, waking during sleep and early rising. After all these years I could expect no less.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance

My docs put me on a mix for xanax and Ativan for some odd reason.  I think the xanax was to make me sleep and the ativan was to stop the withdrawal I was feeling before bed time.

From all my studies, if it where me I would go to Klonopin.  It's long acting and has chemical similarities to xanax.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry that you're starting to fee poorly.  Unfortunately, logic and 'how you should feel' fly out the window during this withdrawal.  Acceptance of whatever comes is essential (easy words to type; difficult to do sometimes).

Be sure to hold if your symptoms get gnarly (there's a word you don't see much anymore).

Badsocref......symptoms have gotten "gnarly". Feel like there is no where to turn for relief. Wow....NEVER been this depressed before, and certainly not Depressed and in Benzo wihdrawl due to tapering.

Suggestions please

Talk about a paradox.

How you can be full of anxiety, unable to relax or sleep well....and at the same time have very little energy to exercise SO that you can at least get a good nights sleep...not just " sit in your thoughts " ....and have the motivation to try and improve your situation, make a living and get beyond just existing!!!!

Its like trying to function when your CNS feels like a raw nerve. No energy, worry, recurrent thoughts, hopeless, etc......

To everyone suffering, I am truly sorry for what you are going through

[80...]

Depression is a tough one.  A couple of things that I do.  First is to take a long bike ride (or some similar physical endeavor).  2-4 hours of moderate riding and I'm just too tired to put much energy into being depressed (or anxious or angry).  My kids have even learned to tell me to take a bike ride when I'm getting up tight.

The only other thing that can bring me out of depression is a new project.  I remember being in a particularly bad state a couple of years ago.  Then I received an email from the daughter of a friend.  She wanted me to help her with a science fair project.  Immediately, my mind transitioned to a more positive place.  I was planning, and no longer feeling sorry for myself.  It was amazing how quickly the transition occurred.  Mere minutes.

(and the girl ended up being the overall winner of her school's science fair)

Great advice. I do ride, so a Bike ride is a good idea.  While on Full -dose Benzo and Zoloft I would ride for hours and it would feel so good. I need to be able to force myself to go even if it isnt as pleasurable as it once was.

And you are right about starting something New.

In the past, if something New ( like a new Job ) would present itself...it would actually jolt me out of a bad depression ( as long as it was decent place to work....and not associated with my current routine and current mood.

That is probably the single best drug-free antidepressant Ive ever benefited from....a new.... "Something" that took my time and attention.

Thanks for the reply

Great advice. I do ride, so a Bike ride is a good idea.  While on Full -dose Benzo and Zoloft I would ride for hours and it would feel so good. I need to be able to force myself to go even if it isnt as pleasurable as it once was.

And you are right about starting something New.

In the past, if something New ( like a new Job ) would present itself...it would actually jolt me out of a bad depression ( as long as it was decent place to work....and not associated with my current routine and current mood.

That is probably the single best drug-free antidepressant Ive ever benefited from....a new.... "Something" that took my time and attention.

Thanks for the reply

If the Xanax was working then like Bird said you might want to go to that as it has almost all the same property's as Klonopin I went from K to a lower amount of V and not a happy camper !

Thanks Can-Do

I am trying to use the Xanax very sparingly since I am tapering the Librium.

Do you think the Xanax has anti-depressant qualities that might help?

Forgive me, my cognative function stinks right now~

• 3 weeks later...

Just an Update....guess I need to vent to someone who understands, and this Benzo Buddies Board is the best.

I am holding at 10mgs once daily of Librium. I am trying to do everything I can to ride out this Depression that started soon after I began my Taper. It is such a paradox to have no energy or drive....Everything is seems has to be forced with a great deal of effort.

Not complaining, but here are my current symptoms.

Depressed Mood,Weight loss...no energy...much less sleep than before...cognitive function very low.No appetite either.

Loss of muscle mass, It must be from reduced activity level , but that is something I didnt expect. So the very time in my life I need exercise, it seems to be the hardest thing to get motivated to do! Can anyone relate ?

I feel like I am existing...not living.

Sometimes I wake in a mild panic in the middle of the night.

Past Mistakes are constantly invading my thoughts...and current Life challenges seem  insurmountable . Even simple things are hard.

I feel pretty much useless since I began my Taper. Everything in life now appears "dingy"...with a touch of anxiety.

This is all benzo-taper related right?

Thanks for listening

Just an Update....guess I need to vent to someone who understands, and this Benzo Buddies Board is the best.

I am holding at 10mgs once daily of Librium. I am trying to do everything I can to ride out this Depression that started soon after I began my Taper. It is such a paradox to have no energy or drive....Everything is seems has to be forced with a great deal of effort.

Not complaining, but here are my current symptoms.

Depressed Mood,Weight loss...no energy...much less sleep than before...cognitive function very low.No appetite either.

Loss of muscle mass, It must be from reduced activity level , but that is something I didnt expect. So the very time in my life I need exercise, it seems to be the hardest thing to get motivated to do! Can anyone relate ?

I feel like I am existing...not living.

Sometimes I wake in a mild panic in the middle of the night.

Past Mistakes are constantly invading my thoughts...and current Life challenges seem  insurmountable . Even simple things are hard.

I feel pretty much useless since I began my Taper. Everything in life now appears "dingy"...with a touch of anxiety.

This is all benzo-taper related right?

Thanks for listening

Last time I commented I was ignored. Well I will try one more time.

Get a testosterone test from your doc ASAP

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14671195

http://www.ironmagazine.com/2011/aromasin-exemestane-explained/

Only TWO things in the world that can blow all the

testosterone levels right out of your system. (As a guy this is BAD)

1. Taking Opioids!!!

2. Benzo withdrawal

Some of the girls that have jumped lose much of their hair since the testosterone slams back so hard.

If your testosterone is below 180  it would account for much of your S/X I BOLDED" above

Solution, talk to your doc about and med called Exemestane 25mg every other day.

Bird

Birdman, I didnt mean to ignore your advice before...with the cog-fog I skip things sometimes, no offense intended

Interestingly enough I watched a Youtube Video on Benzo Tapering and noticed there was a clip on Low T....and I watched it! Though I didnt mention it , my sex drive has dropped to non-existent since my taper.

And Now you posted it in response to my symptoms, to me...thats confirmation .

I will get it checked. Thank you for responding and for the Links.

Much appreciated,

Birdman, I didnt mean to ignore your advice before...with the cog-fog I skip things sometimes, no offense intended

Interestingly enough I watched a Youtube Video on Benzo Tapering and noticed there was a clip on Low T....and I watched it! Though I didnt mention it , my sex drive has dropped to non-existent since my taper.

And Now you posted it in response to my symptoms, to me...thats confirmation .

I will get it checked. Thank you for responding and for the Links.

Much appreciated,

I'm just glad to see people not suffering so much.  Benzo withdrawal hits so many other systems in the body it's just ridiculous.  I've been studying all things "BENZO" for 4 years now.  I think my brain is going to pop from all the info I gathered and memorized :laugh:

Hope it helps you.  Your going to notice a difference but give it a few weeks.  It may help you taper a bit faster too since the side effects are calmness, confidence which = less depression and less cog fog. :thumbsup:

If your going to get a blood test I'd do all these:

Ideal Hormone and T Levels for Optimal Health

Total Testosterone 800 - 1,000 ng/dl

Free Testosterone 250 - 300 pg/ml

Estradiol 20 - 30 pg/ml (MAX!)

SHBG 10 - 30 nmol/l

DHT 60 - 70 ng/dl

Prolactin 2 - 3 ng/ml

DHEA-S ~ 300 ug/dl

Hugs Birdy :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

Badsocref, you sure nailed it. These symptoms are so above and beyond what I expected. Even when all the information on this Forum, and ALL the similiarities of various reactions to tapering.....I STILL want to blame a mysterious "something else" to explain these various symptoms. Wow.....this is much tougher than I thought. Im in my mid 50's and am beginning to wonder if I am capable of this after all these years, and at my age.  Amazing how the mind searches for some other explanation