Book Recommendations

[el...]

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne....this an excellent book and has helped me tremendously

I agree for that book. CBT at home.

Marija

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [el...]

• [Al...]

• [Ma...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

What a fantastic book. Could have saved years of therapy and drug usage. I found the tools for managing my attacks wonderful self esteem boosters. I felt in control again!

I put them on a 3x5 card and carry them with me always. Don't need them since I have them. So subliminally just having them gives me Peace!

ButterflyEffect

Feeling Good - Dr David Burns (the workbook)

I ordered that book as one new one from the same writer called 'When Panic Attacks'

Marija

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm reading ......

"When Things Fall Apart"

by Pema Chodron

I think the books pretty amazing!  It's all about embracing fear instead of running from it (and all that scary stuff).  :)

• 2 weeks later...

"The Highly Sensitive Person--How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You" by Elaine N Aron, PHD.

I have found that this book has best captured the essence of who I truly am. I have a posting in the Chewing the Fat board about personality type versus benzo prescription that covers this.

I've also found Dr Bourne's handbook on Anxiety to be very useful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone read a book called Worse Than Heroin?  If so, what did you think of it.

Was just about to order Benzo-Wise and thought I'd search for some other books while I'm at it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone read a book called Worse Than Heroin?  If so, what did you think of it.

Was just about to order Benzo-Wise and thought I'd search for some other books while I'm at it.

Have not heard of the book you mention. Did read benzo-wise and it helped me a lot during my w/d.

• 2 months later...
The book by Claire Weekes "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" was very helpful for me when I was young and first dealing with panic attacks!

• 3 weeks later...

Full Catastrophe Living by John Kabat-Zinn

Oooh, I have that!  :thumbsup: He has another one called 'Mindful way through Depression'.

The Mindful Way Through Anxiety by Orsillo and Roemer

Also-

Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety By Forsyth and Eifert

Vertigo

• 1 month later...
There is a Anxiety Disorders Hospital in Ohio run in part by Lucinda Bassit.They have a 24 hr Hotline for people with all types of Anxiety issues.The people that answer the phone are all former sufferers.This place is not a Pych Hospital.It is a very rare short stay (9 wk) all things scarey.1800- ANXIETY Very kind people.

• 3 months later...
[56...]

Another excellent read is AT LAST A LIFE - Anxiety and Panic Free by Paul David.  It's available as an eBook, he suffered with severe chronic anxiety for over 10 years but finally overcame these obstacles. 

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/SheWolf510/Atlastalife_zps7a5f2615.jpg

He also has a great site called Anxiety No More.

Staffy

[56...]

From my personal library, here are a few which have really helped;

The Wisdom of Florence Scovel Shinn (4 complete books in 1), being  The Game of Life, The Power of the Spoken Word, Your Word Is Your Wand, The Secret of Success.

David Baird - A Thousand Paths to happiness.

Susan Hayward - A Guide for the Advanced Soul - A Book of Insight.

Avril Carruthers - Let your past GO and LIVE.  Freedom from family, relationship and work baggage.

David J Schwartz - The Magic of thinking Big.

Aubrey C Daniels - Bringing out the Best in people.  How to apply the astonishing power of positive reinforcement....

Staffy

Any Dan Millman books I find interesting. I downloaded Michael McIntyre's autobiography and for a chuckle to take mind off things its great

David Burns 'New mood Therapy' :)

• 10 months later...

Mindfulness seems to be mentioned a lot here. I have Mindfulness in Plain English in both print and PDF form. Taking me ages to get through it, as I tire easily. But highly recommended.

When I first experienced anxiety, Claire Weekes was my heroine, such clear and concise understanding.

All I can add, if you have many physical symptoms of anxiety, is Dinah Bradley's books on Breathing and Hyperventilation.

All of these have helped me more than any medication.

coots

The Vitamin Cure for Depression: How to Prevent and Treat Depression Using Nutrition and Vitamin Supplementation by Bo H. Jonsson MD, PH.D and Andrew Saul PH.D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just started reading Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Dr. Joe Dispenza...

Excellent so far... Its about mindfulness from a scientific point of view...

perfect for me b/c I am an empirical evidence kind of person... I told my therapist all the "self talk" in the world is not going to help me b/c I did not understand how it works... Dr. Joe explains it very well in this book and now my therapy sessions make more sense...

-Shelby

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...