• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [el...]

• [Al...]

• [Ma...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Fear, by Thich Nhat Hanh.  There is something so clear and true about the way he explains things (he is a Buddhist monk who seems to have a knack for just getting right to the heart of things).  He has written a bunch of books, but this is the one that touched me the most and really helped me (a chronic worrier and person with anxiety) breathe easier.

Real Happiness, by Sharon Salzberg.  She also has lots of meditations you can google.  She is another one with a very clear, no-bs, calming perspective.  Her books and meditations have helped me a lot.

Invisible Heroes by Belleruth Naparstek.  Has to do with PTSD and trauma.  An amazing book.  She also has a lot of very calming meditations and affirmations you can probably google.  I really like the one for PTSD.

Good thread!

• 2 weeks later...

I would urge all to read the work of Dr Claire Weeks, the legendary Australian Therapist. She is referred to as " The Woman who cracked the anxiety code." In the 70s she developed simple theories that are now standard practice.

Rcristal

• 9 months later...
Weekes wasn't about 'tapering' through anxiety. Applied to Benzos, her premise would be CT all the way (with safety exceptions). Can easily get in over your head. I tried to apply it to a sensitive area of trauma of mine: extreme violence, video, photos etc. I was horribly traumatized from then on. She advocated it with pain as well. For example, you'd have dental work done without the anesthesia. Also is the exposure undertaken with faith or doubt or which would interfere with process? What also about various forms of fear such as rage, guilt, delusion etc? Would she have advocated waterboarding as form of therapy? The exposure might better done under controlled conditions. The mind is very powerful. Last thing you would want would be to induce further fear into it. Just a few considerations, precautionary notes.

• 1 year later...

Anxiety RX by Dr Russell Kennedy

Just finished listening to the audiobook. He dealt with anxiety all his life so he really gets it. And he has a unique approach.