• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [el...]

• [Al...]

• [Ma...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mental Health through Will training" by Dr. Abraham A. Low

Very old stuff but written in simple language and easy to grasp!

:thumbsup:

ATU

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Feeling Good by David Burns, MD

The "bible" of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

And here's Dr. Burns' website:

http://feelinggood.com/

My opinion:  If there were ten books that were required reading for every person on the planet, this one would be near the top of the list!

• 1 month later...

A lot of people have mentioned excellent books by David Burns and Baylissa Frederrick, but have gotten tripped up on the titles:

Baylisaa Frederick's "Benzo-Wise" is now called "Recovery and Renewal". Frederick shares soothing guidance while sharing her own account of recovery from benzos.

The most popular David Burns books mentioned are:

Feeling Good (subtitle: The New Mood Therapy) - for anxiety, depression, etc. Packed with great information. #1 on the list of "Top 1,000 Self-Help Books Recommended by Therapists.

When Panic Attacks - for anxiety and panic

If you buy and love either of these, a third popular one by Burns is "The Feeling Good Handbook." This one has more relationship tips than Feeling Good. If BWS is straining your primary relationships, this may be particularly useful.

None of these books are expensive. In fact, they are all great buys at the price.

BTW, I'd love to see some, "Someone recommended __________, and here's what I liked/didn't like" posts on this thread.

I'm a reader, and have read probably hundreds of self-help books. I only recommend those that helped me dramatically. The ones above are among them--the top 1%.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Thank you all but I have a slight problem with cognitive therapy books: I dont want to refuse my problems, my past, and ''rewire'' to be some sort of happy zombie that has gone all ''new age''... (although that would probably do help me).

Would like to remain who I am, not change my worldview, as I want to remain an advocate for ecology and animal rights (two things that caused me major stress and depression past year).

I can't avoid the things im passionate about because my involvement as volunteer helps those issues. My problem is how to remain a volunteer without losing my mind over it, getting depressed etc. How to keep resilience that is....  and belief in a better future without animal suffering and destruction of the  natural habitat (and eventually of our humanity).

Maybe im too philosophical a mind, but new age stuff will never work on me. Im too sceptical. I find books though like ''feel the fear and still do it'' very good for giving me hope and inner strength.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Another great read.

The divided mind

Book by John E. Sarno

It will make you question just what your unconscious mind can really do!

🙏👍👍👍

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dr. Claire Weekes, all her books and recordings. I have "Self help for your nerves" and "Essential help for your nerves". Excellent advice for people suffering agoraphobia, anxiety, panic, fears etc.

I need the pdf version of Claire Weekes books.....plz help

Xcxcxcxc,

I know I downloaded an audio version for free from “audiobookbay”

I just signed up and they have a great selection.

Dr. Claire Weekes still one of the best !

God rest her soul🙏

ATU

• 4 weeks later...
I have many of these books but the more you read about anxiety the more it comes to you. By reading so many self help and anxiety books it gets your mind more overanxious. There's more to think and worry about the more you read. I'm dealing with a therapist who's had anxiety and I feel it's much more helpful than when I was looking up anxiety o the internet and reading books regarding it too. People with anxiety are worriers and the more you read the more you doubt. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy or EMDR help to really change your thought patterns. Getting out of the snowball effect that it brings is easier with someone impartial who's very familiar with the subject.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread is for posting book recommendations.

If you have read or are currently reading a book on anxiety/panic/worry/depression, etc., and you have found it to be helpful, let us know!

I'm currently reading hack my anxiety. So far So good!

• 5 months later...
[0a...]

The Worry Trick by David Carbonell.

This book is very well structured with a "take home" at the end of each chapter. Very useful, very practical, direct and well executed to keep you interested.

I have read most books on this string and this is by far my "go to" book for pleasant reminders every now and then to prevent myself from falling off the bus.

• 2 months later...

Dr. Claire Weekes, all her books and recordings. I have "Self help for your nerves" and "Essential help for your nerves". Excellent advice for people suffering agoraphobia, anxiety, panic, fears etc.

Barry McDonagh's DARE Response and his earlier work The Panic Away Program are minor updates on Dr. Weekes' work. I searched for this the whole forum, but couldn't find him. So I think his work is worth mentioning.

• 2 months later...

The Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety by Forsyth and Eifert.

Based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) - some reviewers on Amazon criticize it for being repetitive. It does repeat key points but personally I find this helps reinforce the points and helps me integrate the material. This book along with therapy, exercise and meditation (I love Headspace app) have been hugely helpful for me.

• 1 year later...

Descartes' Error by Antonio Damasio.

If you read this, you might be able to relate it to phases in your withdrawal. It's a book that goes into a lot of detail, with case studies, about how emotion forms an essential part in being able to behave rationally and function socially. It's helping me put my experience in context. Anybody interested in the neuroscience of mind would enjoy this, it's relatable to my experience at least.