Author Topic: Book Recommendations  (Read 57577 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Book Recommendations
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2015, 03:52:18 am »
Recovery and Renewal by Baylissa Frederick
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2015, 03:57:16 pm »
"Mental Health through Will training" by Dr. Abraham A. Low

Very old stuff but written in simple language and easy to grasp!

:thumbsup:

[...]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:15:46 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2015, 02:15:49 pm »
The two books that I recommend that are excellent are:
Spark-By John Ratey
Rewire Your Brain-John Arden

[Buddie]

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2015, 02:55:17 pm »

The power of NOW.

[Buddie]

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2016, 01:54:25 am »
Feeling Good by David Burns, MD

The "bible" of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

And here's Dr. Burns' website:

http://feelinggood.com/

My opinion:  If there were ten books that were required reading for every person on the planet, this one would be near the top of the list!

[Buddie]

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2016, 10:43:02 pm »
A lot of people have mentioned excellent books by David Burns and Baylissa Frederrick, but have gotten tripped up on the titles:

Baylisaa Frederick's "Benzo-Wise" is now called "Recovery and Renewal". Frederick shares soothing guidance while sharing her own account of recovery from benzos.

The most popular David Burns books mentioned are:

Feeling Good (subtitle: The New Mood Therapy) - for anxiety, depression, etc. Packed with great information. #1 on the list of "Top 1,000 Self-Help Books Recommended by Therapists.
When Panic Attacks - for anxiety and panic
If you buy and love either of these, a third popular one by Burns is "The Feeling Good Handbook." This one has more relationship tips than Feeling Good. If BWS is straining your primary relationships, this may be particularly useful.

None of these books are expensive. In fact, they are all great buys at the price.

BTW, I'd love to see some, "Someone recommended __________, and here's what I liked/didn't like" posts on this thread.

I'm a reader, and have read probably hundreds of self-help books. I only recommend those that helped me dramatically. The ones above are among them--the top 1%.

[Buddie]

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2016, 11:49:39 pm »
Another good I am in the process of reading is"My Age of Naxiety" by Scott Stossel. :thumbsup:

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2017, 03:46:57 pm »
Deepak Chopra meditations on youtube.  Extremely helpful for me.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2017, 06:32:56 pm »
Untethered Soul helped me a lot!

[Buddie]

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2017, 07:30:36 pm »
Thank you all but I have a slight problem with cognitive therapy books: I dont want to refuse my problems, my past, and ''rewire'' to be some sort of happy zombie that has gone all ''new age''... (although that would probably do help me).

Would like to remain who I am, not change my worldview, as I want to remain an advocate for ecology and animal rights (two things that caused me major stress and depression past year).

I can't avoid the things im passionate about because my involvement as volunteer helps those issues. My problem is how to remain a volunteer without losing my mind over it, getting depressed etc. How to keep resilience that is....  and belief in a better future without animal suffering and destruction of the  natural habitat (and eventually of our humanity).

Maybe im too philosophical a mind, but new age stuff will never work on me. Im too sceptical. I find books though like ''feel the fear and still do it'' very good for giving me hope and inner strength.