Psilocybin and MDMA (Psychedelic Drugs) for Psychiatric Disorders

[...]

Novel psychopharmacological therapies for psychiatric disorders: psilocybin and MDMA

"A promising new model of treatment is under investigation in a resurgence of research into use of psychedelic drugs to augment psychotherapy. In this model, the drug is used on one or a few occasions during psychotherapy sessions to overcome obstacles to successful psychotherapy and to catalyse a therapeutic experience. It is theorised that the experience itself, rather than simply the pharmacological effects of the drug, might lead to cure or sustained remission of severe, treatment-refractory psychiatric disorders".

You can register for free to read the full article.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366%2815%2900576-3/abstract

HA! Yeah, been there done that. A few of us here tried microdosing (psilocybin) and YES, it can help with PTSD tremendously by not allowing negative emotion to process within the prefrontal cortex and the amygdala, it doesn't help directly with the damage caused by the benzos. I actually did have a couple doses stop my waves dead in it's tracks, it was only a couple times out of many and mostly it wasn't very pleasant because my GABA receptors couldn't play their role. During the dose it didn't really help but it was usually the following days that felt a bit better. I stopped because it was just wearing me out. Did it help at all, in the long run? YES!! When I started, I was having nasty headaches and now they're gone completely. Doesn't help with gut damage though. It was an exciting experiment for sure  :thumbsup: I'm sure you can find the threads on it in here somewhere.  8)

So interesting, rock.  I'm not sure what to think of this as I certainly know zero about it.  Don't laugh but I Googled it only today and saw it was a compound of more than 200 species of mushrooms.  I'll maybe try and find those threads and do some reading up out of curiosity.

Ketamine is also being investigated for uses other than sedation.  I always felt better after a procedure when Ketamine was used. It's an NMDA agonist.--V

Sounds like more of the same throw something against the wall to see what sticks "treatment".

And I definitely wouldn't recommend stuff like this for people who are suffering the effects of other psychoactive drugs. I understand the desperation, I really do, but our brains don't need more drugs, they need a chance to heal.

• 2 weeks later...
I can testify that low dose shrooms in a positive setting are absolutely healing, and after only a single dose. However, one should be healthy and not withdrawing to partake, especially of MDMA. It will lower the seizure threshold and could kill you if you are tapering or still experiencing protracted withdrawal.

• 1 year later...
I microdose pretty much daily. I was so afraid at first and the first month but it has proven well worth it as I have been practicing having this in my life for 3 months now. It helps me with concentration, staying present, organising sentences, facing obstacles and fears, processing emotion, handling emotion and so much more. I also experience less pain through withdrawal as psylocibin allows my energy to flow through my chakras as opposed to getting stuck and causing unneeded stress. I am 17 months into protracted and I give a lot of credit to my shroomy fungi friends. Every morning and night I also drink at least 1 to 2 grams of lions mane mushroom in my tea or steeped in hot water. The fibers are known to help our nerves grow along with a bunch more benefits. This is just my journey :)

I just want to add that my micro dosing is so little, like literally a teeny crumb size each time a couple times a day.

Worth it to look into for sure. Mushrooms are magical healers.

I just want to add that my micro dosing is so little, like literally a teeny crumb size each time a couple times a day.

Worth it to look into for sure. Mushrooms are magical healers.

Ya, I was thinking that micro was the word.  I know some people who do this for other reasons and find it remarkable.

My CNS is so out of wack right now It'd have to be so micro.... maybe just looking at the mushrooms  :D:laugh:

• 1 year later...

Sounds like more of the same throw something against the wall to see what sticks "treatment".

And I definitely wouldn't recommend stuff like this for people who are suffering the effects of other psychoactive drugs. I understand the desperation, I really do, but our brains don't need more drugs, they need a chance to heal.

i so agree with this.  :thumbsup:

Do you think its like taking an anticonvulsant or SSRI during withdrawal? Are those somehow ok?

if you are asking me,

then no i do not think taking anticonvulsant or AD or AP or any drugs for that matter are "somehow ok". however to stop taking an anticonvulsant, for example, during a benzo taper is sometimes risky. so each person's case must be decided individually with carefully weighed risks vs benefits. that is why i am slowly methodically CAREFULLY tapering off of everything. if you read my signature there is a link to my drug HX and examples of how i make adjustments in my medication regime to allow me to feel the minimum of sxs while geting off the drugs at the same time.

some people (as i have in the past per my HX if you take a look) on AD's or AP's and other classes of pscyhoactive RX drugs, are trying to taper off or are already in recovery, some have kindled as have i, from repeated CT or fast taper and reinstatements or being put on new drugs and suffered greatly from iatrogenic illness and have been harmed by the damage the drugs did. it can go on for years, as has mine. amazingly, i've recovered enough from this damage to write and even paint again. not everyone is as resilient.

this forum is a place of refuge for us to find good advice to help us on our way towards healing. i really find it offensive when i see party drugs and psychedelics/hallucinogens and amphetamines and horse tranquilizers being promoted as "the next big thing" for people in drug recovery, especially benzo recovery. but that's my offense to take. i'm allowed to have any opinion i want. there are many who have the same opinion. i have already stated that i believe psychedelics have their place and that it is not in benzo wd. perhaps for the un-drug-damaged population of war vets or other PTSD survivors, but not those in wd or recovery. it's very simple really. and i don't care to go on arguing about this any longer.

and so I bid you adieu.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think its like taking an anticonvulsant or SSRI during withdrawal? Are those somehow ok?

and so I bid you adieu.

God bless you nomoredrugsforme!!

and so I bid you adieu.

lol! thank you, i think! (just sick and tired of the argument.)

i saw your signature...mind if i ask about your taper from the benzos?

(i'm on clonazepam and fixing to start my taper from it at 1% ever 14 days to start. see if i handle that ok, then go from there..been tapering off of seroquel for 2 years. )

i'd love to hear your sory from xanx to klonopin and how much, how long on each one before the 6 month final taper.

and so I bid you adieu.

(i'm on clonazepam and fixing to start my taper from it at 1% ever 14 days to start. see if i handle that ok, then go from there..been tapering off of seroquel for 2 years. )

i'd love to hear your sory from xanx to klonopin and how much, how long on each one before the 6 month final taper.

Hi nomoredrugsforme,

That was just a joke as I saw your support group. I'll PM you.

and so I bid you adieu.

Hi nomoredrugsforme,

That was just a joke as I saw your support group. I'll PM you.

aye, all is well! i got it. you had me going for a minute tho!

FYI, MDMA is neurotoxic, according to this addiction medicine textbook:

"The increase in extracellular monoamines caused by drugs of abuse is thought to be

responsible for their addictive properties. Importantly, however, the increased dopamine

(DA) in the synaptic cleft might also be responsible for the neurotoxic damage

caused by several of these agents (Cadet and Brannock, 1998; Cadet et al., 2007).

In fact, this might provide a partial explanation for the original report of

methamphetamine-induced toxicity in brain regions with high monoaminergic content

(Gibb and Kogan, 1979). Dopamine by itself is neurotoxic both in vitro and in vivo

(Graham et al., 1978). It is easily oxidized via enzymatic and nonenzymatic mechanisms

and then induces oxidative stress (Cadet and Brannock, 1998). Amphetamine,

amphetamine derivatives, cocaine, 3,4-methylenedioxy-methamphetamine (MDMA),

and opiates have all been reported to produce oxidative stress within the nervous

system (Yamamoto and Bankson, 2005). Active metabolites of dopamine and/or

related substances might cause oxidative stress by forming free radicals via the formation

of quinones and the generation of quinone cascades secondary to MDMA

metabolism (Lyles and Cadet, 2003)."

This is from Chapter 2 on drug-induced neurotoxicity from the text "Neuroscience for addiction medicine: from prevention to rehabilitation - constructs and drugs" (2016)

"The increase in extracellular monoamines caused by drugs of abuse is thought to be

responsible for their addictive properties. Importantly, however, the increased dopamine

caused by several of these agents (Cadet and Brannock, 1998; Cadet et al., 2007).

methamphetamine-induced toxicity in brain regions with high monoaminergic content

(Gibb and Kogan, 1979). Dopamine by itself is neurotoxic both in vitro and in vivo

(Graham et al., 1978). It is easily oxidized via enzymatic and nonenzymatic mechanisms

and opiates have all been reported to produce oxidative stress within the nervous

related substances might cause oxidative stress by forming free radicals via the formation

This is from Chapter 2 on drug-induced neurotoxicity from the text "Neuroscience for addiction medicine: from prevention to rehabilitation - constructs and drugs" (2016)

:thumbsup: i love it when you calmly present the FACTS!

So is caffeine. And oxygen. Much has to do with the dose.

:thumbsup: i love it when you calmly present the FACTS!

More facts, calmly presented:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mdma-or-ecstasy-shows-promise-as-a-ptsd-treatment/

It will be interesting to see the results when MAPS' Phase 3 clinical trial is over.