Author Topic: Had colonoscopy on Monday & Versed (benzo) was used... strange experience  (Read 3921 times)

[Buddie]

Hi everyone,

This is my last day on benzos....yipee.  I had a colonoscopy on Monday and was a little concerned about the Versed (short acting benzo) being used to knock me out.  Here's what happened:

First some backround about my 14 month taper.  It's been long and hard with many w/d symptoms.  Some windows a day here and there during it all.  For the past 3 weeks I've felt totally normal, a BIG window or complete healing...I don't know yet but it sure is sweet. 

Please note that I had a colonoscopy about 3 1/2 years ago while I still taking Xanax (3 md/day).  They put the Versed in my IV and I pretty much went out.  Woke for a few seconds during procedure and went back out cold again...no big deal.  The day before is lousy, i.e. no food and have to drink 2 liters of some aweful stuff to flush the colon.  Being in the fine long window, I handled it very well and just watched the Food Channel almost all afternoon, planning my next meal.   I had fun with it.  I couldn't have done that even a month ago. I arrived at the hospital at 7AM this past Monday, feeling very calm.  Even laughed and joked with the nurses and my husband. Again, I could have NEVER done this a month or so ago.  I could barely go to the grocery store let alone to a hospital for a procedure so this is a BIG improvement.  The doctor stuck the syringe full of Versed in my IV and I waited to go "out" but I didn't.  I was completely alert (no panic though) during the procedure which was not fun.  I remember saying "ouch" in a loud voice several times.  I complained to the doc that I was still awake and he said "That's probably because you take Xanax". (listed on my chart from 3 yrs. ago).  I really didn't feel like getting into it with him about me tapering and being almost benzo free while having my butt reamed.  I was aggravated that I was awake for this deal and felt like punching the Dr. because he just didn't give a crap that I was awake and uncomfortable.  After we left the hospital, we went and got something to eat and I didn't feel "out of it" at all.  Came home, layed down on my sofa with the TV on, closed my eyes and slept solid for a good 3 hours.

After feeling so good for 3 weeks, it was a good gage as to how this Versed would effect me.  On Wednesday evening, I was cooking dinner, got real hot and pure rage rushed over me. I was real hot all evening (feet on fire) and I'm usually always freezing. I woke really early Wed morning due to vivid dreams and my heart racing.  The heart racing and vivid/disturbing dreams woke me again on Thurs am and this am=Fri.  This is a w/d symptom that had been with me for a long time but has been gone for about 4 months.  I was able to just "observe" it as a benzo symptom and not get attached to it or panic-stricken.  After getting out of bed after these 3 episodes I felt totally normal and happy to be in my "window" again. 

My point? heck I don't know.  I guess I'm just puzzled that I went out cold 3 years ago (I believe I was in tolerance w/d) and then being almost benzo free the second time and the stuff didn't knock me out at all except for later on the sofa.  Just goes to show you, that benzo monster is unpredicable.

Lyd
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Hi Lyd,

It feels kind of strange to put your celebration thread link here when you're talking about butt reaming, but what the heck!!  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=15468.0  Congratulations on being benzo free and for getting a colonoscopy, while awake!  That is so strange you were awake, that's not what I would have expected either.  But, it sounds like you handled it and the aftermath with your usual style and grace!

[...] :smitten:
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

I had the exact same thing happen to me, only this was when I was on the Kolonopin and actually was the reason why I decided to stop taking the drug. I had to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy (they call this a "double dipper")  I was given the IV and wouldn't go under I was awake through the entire procedure I remember saying "that hurts" at times and the Dr saying to give me more of the benedryl. I was calm though.

After the procedure the Dr told me that he gave me enough benedrly that would knock out a 200 pound man cold but I still just continued to talk away (with the exception of when they had the camera down my throat) and he was 100% positive it was because I take the kolonpin. I also felt completely alert after.

I also had had a previous scan done and went out (though I remember everything that was said as well as the pain of it)

It is absolutely insane what happens with these drugs there is just no rhyme or reason to anything.   :-\

[Buddie]

Hi Lyd:

Thanks for posting this.  People are always asking what will happen if they have a medical procedure requiring benzos and now I have a first hand account to quote.  Doesn't sound like fun though.

[...]

[Buddie]

Hi Lyd,

I'm so HAPPY to hear you are BENZO FREE!!!  I saw the announcement the other day and just felt so glad for you.  And that you're having such great windows and feeling even normal, wow, that's huge.   :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:  I hope to be there one day soon.  I'm gettin there.....slowly but surely. 

Butt reaming?  You guys crack me up!  And double-dipping?  I had that too...thanks for the lingo Jenn.  So last fall I got double-dipped and reamed...no wonder my body feels thrashed!   :laugh:  I hear a lot of people actually elect to have no drugs at all during a colonoscopy.  I wonder if they are "normal"...sheez.  I had two at two different hospitals...the first one was a complete disaster (they left the tourniquet on my arm and the drugs didnt' get through...arrrgh). 

[...]

[Buddie]

Hi everyone!  The next time I need a procedure that I don't want to be around for I'm going to get Propofol.  It has to be administered by an anesthesiologist.  I'm not going to take a chance with that Versed again.

Peace,
Lyd

[Buddie]

Congratulations on making it to the finish line.  May your window always be open now.

As for the colonoscopy, that's disturbing.  My doc has been pressuring me to get one but I just don't want to be subjected to anything like that right now (and maybe never).  She said last time "hey, they give you drugs, you won't be aware."  I thought, yea I bet since I knew they didn't actually put you out.  The stories settle it for me; either they put me out (e.g. the propofol) or no go.

Those damn benzos keep finding ways to leave folks in the lurch.

John

[Buddie]

The drugs are supposed to put you out during the colonoscopy, John.  It's a cocktail, of usually benzos (versed, valium), and opioids like fentanyl.  The versed also has an "amnesia" quality too it, so that we supposedly forget what happened.  Unless we don't happen to be asleep! 

Isn't it strange how much medicine relies on benzos for just about every procedure? 

[...]

[Buddie]

Hi John,

Please don't let my experience keep you from getting a colonoscopy.  They removed a few pre-cancerous polyps 3 years ago and this time I had 3 polyps, one being pre-cancerous.  I would repeat the procedure in a heartbeat (being awake and all) if that was the only way to get rid of the pre-cancerous stuff because the alternative is colon cancer.  They did give me the Versed and Fentanyl like [...] mentioned.  There are options like getting an anesthesiologist to administer Propofol, then you will go "out" for sure.  Most people do go "out" with the cocktail I had so I may be an acception?  Anyway, I hope my experience doesn't discourage anyone from getting a colonoscopy.  It's really not THAT bad and the procedure doesn't take that long.  It's so worth it!  To me it was more of an annoyance whereas colon cancer would be total devastation.

Lyd

[Buddie]

My doc told me and I also read somewhere that after benzo w/d, tolerance is very high and it takes an extraordinary amount to achieve the same effect. The amount is so high most insurance won't pay for it and there's no gauge to determine just how much would be needed, so doctors are can't increase the dose. 

My doctor told me "you can no longer have conscious sedation." Hopefully he'll put that in writing for future reference!

I will fight tooth and nail before I'm ever forced to take any for a procedure. I will not risk making my tinnitus worse, which I developed after 4 mgs of Ativan I took for some procedures, 45 days after my K taper ended.

The idea of having a colonoscopy w/out drugs makes me shudder (I've had 2); but an endoscopy without one (I've had 1)?! I don't think so!! I gag when I brush my teeth!

These damn drugs are the gift that just keeps giving, aren't they?!

g