Would like to start west coast support group?

[Ja...]

I would love to be part of or start a west coast group that focuses on positivity and amygdala retraining and meditation and support

How can I get this off the ground?

I have asked several psychiatrists in the area and haven't had any referrals from them probably bc of confidentiality

Thanks

If I were you, I would try hiring a room at a church, a community centre, or something like that. But first ask the psychiatrists if they might be interested in telling their patients about it. I suspect it will depend upon how this is set up and structured. Ask the psychiatrists if there are reasons why they feel they would not be able to inform their patients about the group and what you might do to mitigate those reasons.

Thank you Colin. I will look into it. I feel so erratic and unwell at the moment-- one day burst of energy and back to me and another horrifically depressed or anxious but I would love to start something bc it feels so needed. I want it to be totally positive and safe. Thanks Colin. I work in the field and am also afraid to "out" myself at the moment and hopefully I won't have to. I feel I can't fully express what I am going thru or I will be judged. Here everything is anonymous so that's good. Thanks for putting this all together.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I would love to find a group of people who would like to be part of a help group.

I don't know where you live.

When you say west coast what do you mean? California, USA? Australia? Great Brittain?

I too would like to be part of a group of benzo withdrawal sufferers.

I too am very hesitant about putting myself out there.

I have searched SOOO much and can't find anything but a 12 step alcohol and drug rehab group. That is not what I need.

I need something like benzo buddies but with people in the the flesh. Just can't find ANY GROUPS AT ALL that would be of help. My psych did tell me about a place but it costs $3200. A month. This  process takes many months! My insurance doesn't cover it. I can't afford it.

I don't understand why no groups exist .

But thank goodness for benzo buddies! I would be totally lost without all of you! You are my lifeline. Bless the people who started this forum website!

Heathcliff

Los Angels area

I bet some of those Hollywood studio execs take benzos, as I know them very well. They have lots of stress and anxiety, so it would be a good bet.

Betsy  :)

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to be part of this......Humboldt area here.... ::)

Reindeer

maybe central located ...I would find a way wherever,as someone said earlier,Have searched for support up here to no avail I am very excited about your idea....cant sleep lol I do have a close friend a social worker and therapist who I know might help.....let me know if you want me to contact her. even if we got together here,that would be awesome. :smitten:

• 1 month later...

The Austin-based benzo support group is still happening...once a week...there is a thread on it somewhere here on BB...

I have a couple of therapist offices and a rehab unit that allow me to leave flyers in their waiting rooms, but the majority of new folks found us through FB and Meetup.

Please feel free to PM me if you want/need more info...