all right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready to titrate

[...]

Hi there,

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

As you can probably see from my signature I've taken a super turtle type taper off clonazepam. Over the last year and a half I've 'actively' tapered for about 11 of those months - had to stop for family reasons over last winter and early spring. I was pretty conservative with my dry cutting - about 1/8 every 7 - 10 days in the begining, last 2 months I tapered 1/16 pill every week or 10 days - and really feeling it now. Finally i'm getting all those things I'd heard about but avoided - ( anxiety, muscle pains,lower G.I. stuff, etc.) I'm currently down to 7/16 of a pill - and i realize it's impossible to cut with any precision 1/16, so i'm leaning towards titration. tomorrow i am planning to buy the cylinder and pill crusher on ebay ( I watched one of the you tube videos). wondering what would be a slow - but not too slow - taper plan, maybe akin to what i was doing, only through titration, making a smoother transition.?

by the way thanks a lot to you guys for the great service your doing!

Hi there,

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

As you can probably see from my signature I've taken a super turtle type taper off clonazepam. Over the last year and a half I've 'actively' tapered for about 11 of those months - had to stop for family reasons over last winter and early spring. I was pretty conservative with my dry cutting - about 1/8 every 7 - 10 days in the begining, last 2 months I tapered 1/16 pill every week or 10 days - and really feeling it now. Finally i'm getting all those things I'd heard about but avoided - ( anxiety, muscle pains,lower G.I. stuff, etc.) I'm currently down to 7/16 of a pill - and i realize it's impossible to cut with any precision 1/16, so i'm leaning towards titration. tomorrow i am planning to buy the cylinder and pill crusher on ebay ( I watched one of the you tube videos). wondering what would be a slow - but not too slow - taper plan, maybe akin to what i was doing, only through titration, making a smoother transition.?

by the way thanks a lot to you guys for the great service your doing!

What would you consider slow?? The average is 1% a day or 10% over 10 days. If you are on .30mg, then you could take your .50mg tablet, crush and put into 50ml of water or milk. Stir well and then remove 20ml leaving you with 30ml equaling .30mg. You could then remove 1ml a day which would equate to 2% a day. If that is too fast, you could remove 1/2ml per day, or 1ml one day, 1/2ml the next. It is up to you how fast or slow you want to go.  :thumbsup:

What would you consider slow?? The average is 1% a day or 10% over 10 days. If you are on .30mg, then you could take your .50mg tablet, crush and put into 50ml of water or milk. Stir well and then remove 20ml leaving you with 30ml equaling .30mg. You could then remove 1ml a day which would equate to 1% a day. If that is too fast, you could remove 1/2ml per day, or 1ml one day, 1/2ml the next. It is up to you how fast or slow you want to go.  :thumbsup:

OK that makes sense. So I could remove, from the same mixture 25ml leaving me with .25mg (half a pill), and so on. In the demo I watched , he used 100 ml. I believe - any advantage to the 50ml?

Thanks.!

What would you consider slow?? The average is 1% a day or 10% over 10 days. If you are on .30mg, then you could take your .50mg tablet, crush and put into 50ml of water or milk. Stir well and then remove 20ml leaving you with 30ml equaling .30mg. You could then remove 1ml a day which would equate to 1% a day. If that is too fast, you could remove 1/2ml per day, or 1ml one day, 1/2ml the next. It is up to you how fast or slow you want to go.  :thumbsup:

OK that makes sense. So I could remove, from the same mixture 25ml leaving me with .25mg (half a pill), and so on. In the demo I watched , he used 100 ml. I believe - any advantage to the 50ml?

Thanks.!

If he was using a .50mg pill in 100ml of liquid, then taking out 1ml a day would still be 1% but the pill amount would be .005mg. Does this make sense? If he was using the 1.0mg in 100ml of liquid, then taking out 1ml a day would be 1% and the pill amount would be .01mg.

I think I understand. Thank you . I'm guessing that the more liquid, the easier it gets when you get to the very end? by the way , is there an amount people usually jump off at - I'm thinking between .06 and .03mg ?

I think I understand. Thank you . I'm guessing that the more liquid, the easier it gets when you get to the very end? by the way , is there an amount people usually jump off at - I'm thinking between .06 and .03mg ?

Softtail just jumped off I think at .03ml. I took it down to the very end at .01ml.

Hey Bill,

People have jumped off during titration at different points.  I would suggest taking it down to at least .05, if not lower.  You are getting very little of the medication at the end of the taper, but the point of continuing to go down so low, is the cumulative effect of the taper.  In other words, just stretching out the taper, so you don't rush yourself.  Its always good to go slow.  I used titration with klonopin and I like it because it leaves you in total control of the percentage cuts.  If you need to hold at a certain point, you can always hold on, and when you are ready to move on....move on.  You can also reduce at whatever rate you deem right for you.

I think you will find titration..a smooth process...good luck my friend..

Tim

Thanks Tim. I realized i can probably go a bit faster than dry cuts , where you make a large % reduction (at the end) and then wait to stabilize. Actually looking forward to my stuff arriving so i can start.

hi bill , St checking in,  I like TC  tapered using the titration at 10% per week and it worked fine for me. 

I hope you are clear on making the solution up. 

The video shows titration using 100 ml. of solution, which is what I did.  theresa indecated using the .5mg in 50 ml of solution, and this works too especially if you have a limited supply of clono to waste per day,  ie, .5 mg, vs the 1mg.  I had a perscription for three .5 mg tabs per day, so using the 1mg per 100ml, worked fine for me. 

If you have any questions on the actual process of crushing and mixing , ask and will be glad to walk you thru.

st.

Hey ST,

Thanks. I do have a question: I ordered a 100 ml cylinder, but don't have that many pills to waste, so i figured i would either just work with 1/2 of it (50 ml ) or double the percent of everything and use the full 100 ml but still 1 pill. Do you see any problems working with either method?

thanks, Bill

Hi Bill,

You can make up 100ml, using a whole (crushed) 0.5mg pill. 0.22mg would equate to 44ml from the 100ml of liquid, so you could make the 100ml last two days (2 x 44ml). When your dose drops to 33ml per day (or less), you make your 100ml last three days. However, I would not keep a batch for more than three days, and if using milk, make sure the milk is nice and fresh when making up the liquid.

Frankly, if using the above method, you probably will find that you can reduce your dose by 1ml per day (with a starting dose 44ml). At such a low dose, 44 days is a slow taper. Having said this, of course you should adjust your taper rate according to how you react.

Good luck.

Edit: typo.

Thanks Colin (and everyone). That's pretty much as i thought it would work. I had already planned it slow, and this will even be more gradual without stopping an extra day at each level. And i can be done before thanksgiving.

Started titration last night. Took me 4 pills to get it right (!)...finally got it right when i relaxed and wasn't uptight. I'm in one piece today so i guess it's cool...anyway, here's my questions - saw this mentioned somewhere but not sure it was answered...there seems to be milk clumped to the side of the cup i drink the compound from, even after stirring and adding more milk. so I'm wondering if that's 'normal'? also, i didn't realize until Colins post you could store the stuff - any airtight container would work, huh? and of course refrigeration. I'd like to not have to play scientist every night.

Folks, thanks for your help...

Started titration last night. Took me 4 pills to get it right (!)...finally got it right when i relaxed and wasn't uptight. I'm in one piece today so i guess it's cool...anyway, here's my questions - saw this mentioned somewhere but not sure it was answered...there seems to be milk clumped to the side of the cup i drink the compound from, even after stirring and adding more milk. so I'm wondering if that's 'normal'? also, i didn't realize until Colins post you could store the stuff - any airtight container would work, huh? and of course refrigeration. I'd like to not have to play scientist every night.

Folks, thanks for your help...

Did you put milk in the cylinder and then add the powder and stir?? I don't think I've ever heard of milk being "clumped"?

For storage, I just used a piece of plastic wrap and a rubber band over the top of the cylinder.

Clumped might not be the best word...how about residue? I used the method tekksan showed on you tube. it was a residue that seem to have a slight bumpy texture to it - maybe i'm overly paranoid about not getting it all.

Clumped might not be the best word...how about residue? I used the method tekksan showed on you tube. it was a residue that seem to have a slight bumpy texture to it - maybe i'm overly paranoid about not getting it all.

I think I understand what you mean now, but I don't think it is an issue as it does not contain "clumps" of medicine. The bumps are probably bubbles. Some put water in the cylinder, swish around and drink it too.

• 2 weeks later...
In a week or two I'll be going below 20 ml. in my titration. wondering how, actually when i get down to below 10, I can get an accurate measurement of dosage, - should i continue just pouring out my dose from the graduated cylinder? I guess I'm thinking particularly when i get to 3 or 4 ml., it seems like it'll be hard to be really accurate. ....maybe it won't matter so much at that point? any secrets? thanks to all.

In a week or two I'll be going below 20 ml. in my titration. wondering how, actually when i get down to below 10, I can get an accurate measurement of dosage, - should i continue just pouring out my dose from the graduated cylinder? I guess I'm thinking particularly when i get to 3 or 4 ml., it seems like it'll be hard to be really accurate. ....maybe it won't matter so much at that point? any secrets? thanks to all.

I used the syringe to draw out the smaller amounts.

bill , most people use a syringe when they get that low, I used a pipette I got from our lab at work.  I was also  conscientious about getting the proper percentage each day.

You may have indicated if you are taking the clono once per day or twice per day, but I can't find it , so I will assume for now you are taking the drug once per day.

since you are down to .16 mg.  you can make your pills go along way. 

In case you are uncomfortable with the whole proceedure, here is how I did it and it worked well.

1: measure out 50 ml of milk or water ( i used water cause I liked to see what I threw away :)) in 100 ml cylinder.

2: pour about half into a cup, ( any cup will do as long as it has open top to make stirring easy , like a drinking cup.)

3:  crush your pill in crucible  and pestle and dump crushed amount into cup that contains approx half of your 50 ml of milk or water.

4: if you were using a mortar and pestle, pour some of remaining milk or water from graduated cylinder , in crucible, and stir then dump into cup. repeat this with whats left in 5o ml grad cylinder, stir and dump into cup.  You now have all the .5mg of clono and 50 ml of water or milk in mix cup.

5:  In case you do not have a crucible and pestle, crushing between 2 spoons works ok too.  just be careful to get all your crushed powder into mix cup.

6:  Stirr the solution in cup well.    Since you crushed .5 mg, in 50 ml of solution, each ml is equal to .01 mg. of clono.  so for your 16 grams of clono, you would stir cup well, then use syringe to remove .16 ml of solution, and put into storage container if not taking right away.

after getting the .16 ml into your storage vessel  , you can use plain milk or water to rinse the syringe  and add that to your storage vessel to  make sure you get all the clono and liquid out of syringe and into storage vessel..  this is not really necessary, but for peace of mind you may want to do it.  I did, and a side benefit when you get down low, is you have a little more liquid to drink out of your storage vessel.

7:  Since you are down to .16 mg.  you can take advantage of your solution  by repeating the steps above with the remaining solution in cup, and put in seperate storage vessels.  (ie, since you have 50 ml of solution  and you are starting at .16 , you can make up 3 batches  of .16 ml. each to use a total of 48 ml of solution or enough for 3 days.

8:  thats it,  next day do same thing, but take out .15 ml.  continue at this pace and you will be off the clono in 16 days.

9:  If this seems to quick for you ( or too slow)  either hold the same amount out for 2 or 3 days etc.  before dropping .  You are the one in control of the titration and the speed , and using this method you can be very precise with your cuts.

If this has been a repeat of what you are doing,  sorry for wasting your time.  I just wanted to make sure you had a walk thru of what I used successfully to get off the drug.

St.

Hi st, thanks, I missed you when I was first reading..Yep that's pretty much how I've been doing it. My girlfriend who is a dr. showed me a few good things, like drinking it straight out of the cylinder, she says every time you transfer it you can change the dose or the solution mix...not to use a spoon to stir for same reason. I am taking the slow train, I mix in 100ml. of milk, and toss one every day unless i'm feeling exceptionally good i toss two ( equivilent to 1 ml of 50 ml. cylinder) so i'll be done somewhere between 16 - 32 days, probably around 25.......

I remember when I was getting close , very excited and very nervous at same time.  No regrets what so ever, and will never  let a benzo into my body again, if I can help it.

st.