Antidepressant choices

[sa...]

My doctor wanted me to get on antidepressant for my anxiety (and a bit depression).  She gave me a few choices and a few days to think about them.  If you have tried any of these I'd like to hear about your experiences.

- Effexor / Venlafaxine

- Cipralex / Lexapro

- Sertraline / Zoloft

- Mirtazapine / Remeron

I think I can probably have more choices than the above, as long as it's AD and not too rare.  I'm open to suggestions.

I guess it would depend on your biggest issue. Also your body chemistry. May take a few tries to get it right. Remeron is good for insomnia at low doses, same woth Trazodone. It you go with Trazodone get the generic made by Apotex not Pliva.

Hi, I did low dose Remeron and low dose Zoloft together. I tapered the Remeron once I had insomnia under control and had gained back the weight I lost. I loved Zoloft for the effect it had on my racing thoughts and various neurosis. It also worked for my anxiety/panic attacks. I stuck with low doses and they worked for me. Good luck.  :smitten:

Thanks!  I'm inclined to try mirtazapine.  If it can work for sleep I'm eager to taper off zopiclone.  If that doesn't work maybe cipralex / lexapro. 

Dear all. I have a prompt question and help please if you dont mind.

Actually I have just started my AD in 2 days. It is not first time, I had it last year too. But it seems it trigger my mania and I become insomniac. This is not good at all since I have quite prune to my BP. Can I just stop it ? Or will it makes any withdrawal?

• 2 weeks later...

i have taken remeron for about 6-7 years and it def helps me sleep.

even to this day, when i take it within 30 minutes i can barely keep my eyes open.

it also has helped me eat, something i needed.

Gosh it seems like a catch 22. I'm on Remeron and Trazodone after a horrible detox cold turkey. I feel they have probably saved my life with being able to sleep during a very rough time but now I will have to taper off of these and someday. Unless it was life threatening I wouldn't start another psych med. I hate to say it but I have heard some say (on surviving antidepressants) that it was just as hard or even harder to stop their antidepressant as it was to stop their benzo. I could sugar coat it but that wouldn't be fair.

Dave

i have taken remeron for about 6-7 years and it def helps me sleep.

even to this day, when i take it within 30 minutes i can barely keep my eyes open.

it also has helped me eat, something i needed.

Remeron has been a life saver for me. I take 45mg at night and I sleep very well. I doesnt help my depression any but I do take 20mg of celexa for it.

Thanks for all the replies!  I got the Remeron prescribed today.  Will probably wait a few days before trying it.  If it can make me sleep well at night, then it would be a life changing thing. 

I think that if you go on an AD right now, you have to be prepared to stay on it for a long time. Because as long as you aren't healed from benzo's it will probably damage your healing if you try to get off.

I can't come off my seroquel and as I was looking stuff up I saw that some of the serotonine receptors and adrenergic also have their effect on glutamate. because they all work together. So that would explain why I'm having such a hard time and why some people say it "was masking their withdrawal" I'm pretty sure it doesn't really mask withdrawal but it can make withdrawal worse if you try to taper it while in benzo PAWS.

I will chime in about Effexor Xr....it worked well for my depression and anxiety however the withdrawal from it is prue HELL!  It is known as one of the hardest antidepressants to withdraw from.

If you haven't taken the Remeron yet, I would avoid it if at all possible. Going onto an AD is kind of going from the frying pan into the fire. Many people have a very difficult time getting off these, and I have heard horror stories about mirtazapine--you will definitely gain weight, and it will reek havoc with your blood sugar. I've had a devil of a time getting off amitryptiline. Healing without a drug "bandaid" is difficult, but a beautiful thing.

• 2 months later...
Hi BB, i read your post on the forum or reply on there and you have this awful anxiety ...I started with this at twelve months and now at thirteen it isn't letting up ...I feel like my whole body is racing and my face is burning ...this has been about five weeks and driving me crazy.....I have a few symptoms left the other one that is horrible is Insomnia ...I sleep around 2 hours three times a week no more and with this anxiety I feel it's impossible to smile or feel half human. .....It feels like my heart picks it all up and it too is on alert all the time ......I wondered how you were as you sounded pretty bad with this ...I hope it is easing for you ...although it's always a relief to see others with the same and know we are not alone with this it still makes you feel for others and hope they cope or are alright at least .....hope you don't mind me dropping by to see how you are ...this is so terrible and some people should be made responsible ...hoping that at least future generations might just see some of this on the net and be aware of them and the dangers ....sending you all get well wishes and hope you have a big window opening ....Regards Tass xx