• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [os...]

• [Bl...]

• [ca...]

• [Bu...]

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that kefir is good for healing GABA. I was having problems with the dairy so I need to get the grains and filter to make my own with almond milk.

I'm off dairy now too.  :'(

I seem to crave it...

Almonds are high in glutamate so not sure, I used to make my own almond milk with raw almonds and water...

Can't avoid glutamate altogether, we would literally starve.  :o

I tried to add almonds back into my diet yesterday--had a spike in anxiety an hour or so after I ate a handful. All tree nuts seem to affect me this way, but I also reacted to them pre-benzo. So it just may be a lifelong thing for me. Still working on repairing my gut, so there is always hope!

Is anyone taking/ planning on taking anything for this or just riding with the symptoms until their taper is done?

Oscar, just wanted to stop by and thank-you for starting this thread  :)  Adrenal Fatigue is a very complex health syndrome with many causes and many confusing symptoms.  It's not just the adrenals but, our whole body is out of balance and it affects everything.  Dr Wilson's book is very good and, if I may add another, Dr. Lam's book, Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome, is as well.  He talks about the different stages of AFS and how each stage can require a different strategy (rest, food, supplements, etc).  I found that I had to revamp my entire lifestyle in order to recover from this.  It's hard but worth it!  Thanks again!

Bluemoon:  thanks for the info about starch resistant foods helping gut bacteria and inflammation.  Will try that soon!

Is anyone taking/ planning on taking anything for this or just riding with the symptoms until their taper is done?

I take Seriphos before bed because I know I have high cortisol late at night around 3AM (saliva cortisol test result). I also take a few supplements that I read about on Dr Lam's website--vitamin C, E, magnesium. I am thinking about adding in the B vitamin, pantothenic acid again. I have tried many adrenal adaptogenic herbs/supplements and most rev me up except for holy basil (Tulsi basil) tea. I drink 2-3 cups today of it to help balance cortisol and reduce stress.

Oscar, just wanted to stop by and thank-you for starting this thread  :)  Adrenal Fatigue is a very complex health syndrome with many causes and many confusing symptoms.  It's not just the adrenals but, our whole body is out of balance and it affects everything.  Dr Wilson's book is very good and, if I may add another, Dr. Lam's book, Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome, is as well.  He talks about the different stages of AFS and how each stage can require a different strategy (rest, food, supplements, etc).  I found that I had to revamp my entire lifestyle in order to recover from this.  It's hard but worth it!  Thanks again!

Bluemoon:  thanks for the info about starch resistant foods helping gut bacteria and inflammation.  Will try that soon!

You're welcome!--just start slow with the resistant starch, maybe just a half teaspoon at first to see how your digestive system does. And then increase slowly up to 2-4 tsp/day. My doc said to take 2-4 tsp before bed--but I think you can take it any time. The great thing about resistant starch is it doesn't affect blood sugar. I find that banana flour is more palatable than plantain flour and potato starch. But potato starch is really easy to find in grocery stores.

My understanding is that kefir is good for healing GABA. I was having problems with the dairy so I need to get the grains and filter to make my own with almond milk.

I seem to crave it...

Almonds are high in glutamate so not sure, I used to make my own almond milk with raw almonds and water...

I tried to add almonds back into my diet yesterday--had a spike in anxiety an hour or so after I ate a handful. All tree nuts seem to affect me this way, but I also reacted to them pre-benzo. So it just may be a lifelong thing for me. Still working on repairing my gut, so there is always hope!

Almonds are quite high in glutamate so this could be the reason why but a handful should not have caused issues but it's possible in our condition I suppose.

So annoying isn't it?

I am going to just try and eat foods that help and avoid foods that are high in glutamate and eat foods that are clean and brain friendly, sleep is a big one also, I might start taking Vistaril again if I start to feel anxious when going to sleep.

I really don't want to start adding supplements at this stage, I am at a really sensitive stage right now.

Thanks BurnedOut.  :thumbsup:

I seem to crave it...

Almonds are quite high in glutamate so this could be the reason why but a handful should not have caused issues but it's possible in our condition I suppose.

So annoying isn't it?

It is annoying--I have been having some late afternoon anxiety cycling so I don't know if eating the almonds caused it or if it is just the anxiety cycling in. I am having some minor anxiety this afternoon (very manageable)  so who knows?

Brazil nuts are very good, too.

They eliminate omaga 6 fatty acids .

They are high in saturated fats and so people should eat just 2-3 a day.

It has lots of selenium which is good as it stimulates activity of glutathione, an anti oxidant compind that helps remove free radicals.

It is high in fiber and protein and makes a good snack.

It has lots of selenium which is good as it stimulates activity of glutathione, an anti oxidant compind that helps remove free radicals.

I ate 2-4 Brazil nuts a day for about 2 years straight of this journey.

I might start again.

I am leaving walnuts and almonds out from now on.

I think Brazil nuts are a good idea.  :thumbsup:

I ate 2-4 Brazil nuts a day for about 2 years straight of this journey.

I might start again.

I am leaving walnuts and almonds out from now on.

I think Brazil nuts are a good idea.  :thumbsup:

I am thinking about trying Brazil nuts again. I am also going to leave out almonds, walnuts, peanuts, and all other tree nuts for now. I still react to foods high in glutamate. About an hour after I eat something high in glutamate, I feel anxiety and also it sets off palpitations. I have been keeping a food journal and the reaction happens every time. Maybe after I hit the 2 year mark at the end of this month and I my symptoms continue to improve, I will try some almonds again.

I had fish pie tonight with prawns on top, green beans, courgettes and carrots, really healthy.

I need to cook some brown rice tomorrow and hard boil a load of eggs so I can snack on those when I am hungry.

The brown rice will likely replace my bowl of oats.

I really am quite hungry at night now so I also need to cook 7 chicken breasts so I can eat one late at night as a snack.

BTW, I stopped eating oats 4 nights ago and my mind is clearer, is this a coincidence? Or is it just after the wave my mind cleared?

I wouldn't mind betting that quitting the oats might have made a difference.

I will note it in my diary.

BTW, I stopped eating oats 4 nights ago and my mind is clearer, is this a coincidence? Or is it just after the wave my mind cleared?

I wouldn't mind betting that quitting the oats might have made a difference.

I will note it in my diary.

Thanks, Oscar, for starting this topic. I am finding it very helpful to read others' experiences and suggestions.

I think I react to regular oats also.

I didn't mention it, but I think oats are high in glutamate. Today I had a bowl of granola that contained gluten free oats, some almond slivers, and I had milk on it. About an hour later, anxiety and palpitations. Soooo, I am thinking I need to cut all of that out at least for a while.

The thing is, I can eat steel cut oats with no reaction--will continue to eat those and monitor reactions.

Hard to face the fact that I need to lay off the dairy including homemade yogurt which I love.

Chocolate aggravates hypoglycemia and over stimulates the adrenals.

That is another thing I reluctantly have stopped eating. Any kind of caffeine revs me up. I did not know it aggravates hypoglycemia. During the last wave, I was having hypoglycemia symptoms. I will definitely not eat any dark chocolate for a long time. Does it over stimulate the adrenals because of the caffeine?

Chocolate aggravates hypoglycemia and over stimulates the adrenals.

That is another thing I reluctantly have stopped eating. Any kind of caffeine revs me up. I did not know it aggravates hypoglycemia. During the last wave, I was having hypoglycemia symptoms. I will definitely not eat any dark chocolate for a long time. Does it over stimulate the adrenals because of the caffeine?

I assume that and the sugar content also Bluemoon.  :-\

I had eggs on toast for lunch.

Had brown rice and chicken stir fry for dinner.

Will have a pear for dessert.

I have not looked into more articles to post yet.

I am just trying to eat clean and low in glutamate, no sugar, no white salt, no white flour, no caffeine and no alcohol.

Although this is clean eating, I don't feel like I am getting enough calories.

I need to up my snack intake and eat more regularly.

Not got much appetite right now.

Foods rich in GLUTAMATE (what we want less of)

http://dogtorj.tripod.com/id31.html

I just found this site (dogtorj) the other day and found it very helpful. I have found that, for me, high glutamate foods definitely set off anxiety, heart palpitations, and insomnia. I keep a food diary so that I can monitor reactions. High glutamate foods usually cause a reaction in me about an hour or so after I eat them. Foods like almonds, yogurt, milk, peanuts, possibly bananas set off the reactions. But the ripple effect can last for hours, even causing me to wake up at 2 or 3 AM--that could still be cortisol, but I think glutamate also plays a part. I also have issues with histamine intolerance, but I think I have that under control now.

Forgot to add that when I eat high glutamate foods that it contributes to the fibromyalgia-like symptoms and costochondritis (rib and sternum pain). The fibromyalgia pain and costochondritis got really bad in this last wave I have been in and I was having a lot of problems with high histamine at the time too. I was eating a lot of yogurt, peanuts, almonds, other tree nuts, right before the wave started. I think the combination of high histamine and high glutamate foods set this wave off--did not realize the foods I was eating at the time were adding to my problems. I think everyone has a different tolerance level and you just have to experiment a little, cut out a few of the higher glutamate foods temporarily, and keep a food diary to find what works best.