Morning Anxiety Support Blog

[Ma...]

Hi all, I'd been thinking about starting a morning anxiety blog, and then, lo and behold there was a thread started by Santacruzsteph with tons of great morning anxiety info, thoughts, sharings of experience, etc. I couldn't decide whether to just stay with that thread or start my own (I suffer horribly with the a.m. anxiety/depression). So what I decided to do was to start this support blog and quote all the good stuff on Steph's site in the interest of spreading the wisdom as far as possible. Here Goes:

I just read a post that people find their anxiety worse when lying down......hmmm......I would love to know why that is.(makes me want to sleep standing up :crazy:

I find that my anxiety is the worst upon waking..not a very good way to start the day. :-[

I get up, and try to start getting distracted right away..sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I have been trying to use positive affirmations "I will wake up feeling calm and relaxed!!!" I will continue to do so.

It gets so frustrating trying these things and not seeing success but I HAVE GOT TO KEEP THE MINDSET...that it works sometimes and that is a good thing.

Anyone else wake up with morning anxiety and any tips that you have for me would be GREATLY appreciated!!

"Keeping the faith"

:smitten:steph

Hi Steph,

You might find this interesting....hope it helps.

MORNING ANXIETY

Here is an article about morning anxiety from Deanne Repich from her article Understanding Early Morning Anxiety.....

"Yes, depression and anxiety are worse in the morning. That is when your body's cortisol level is the hightest(cortisol is stimulating) and that accounts for probably part of what you are feeling. Cortisol is the stress hormone, your body produces when you are under stress.

The paradox of stress/cortisol is that anxiety produces cortisol, which produces anxiety which produces more cortisol, which causes you to feel more anxious...etc....

Soon you find yourself in this never ending cycle of anxiety and depression.

What you must do to get well is ACCEPT your anxiety. You must ACCEPT your feelings and not try to fight them. Do this long enough and an interesting thing happens, the anxiety goes away."

"Another reason why symptoms can be worse in the morning is because your blood sugar is low when you first wake up. You have gone all night without food.

It's important to maintain a constant blood sugar level because the brain uses sugar, also known as glucose, as its fuel. If blood sugar levels are too low or drop too fast, then the brain starts running out of fuel.

This causes the brain to trigger the "fight or flight" response. The "fight or flight" response sends a rush of adrenaline, cortisol, and other neurotransmitters through your body to prepare you to fight or flee the perceived threat (low fuel).

This process can trigger physical reactions ("symptoms") such as trembling, rapid heartbeat, sweating, panic attacks, fatigue, insomnia, mental confusion, nervousness, dizziness, and more."

[/quote

My anxiety is far worse in the morning. Black tea seems to help.  Hang in there you will get through this!

steph-

I know all to well about anxiety. Morning, noon, night....no time frame for me :tickedoff: I have so many books, self help programs....really, a plethora of information. I believe the most beneficial thing I know about anxiety is that it is just an emotion, just a feeling, a thought...that is all it is. But, and here is the thing I often choose to forget. That this emotion, this feeling, this thought is brought on by my fear of the feeling, my "when is this going to end" "will it be here tomorrow" "will it be here when I go to the store" and so on and so on. It is a cycle of fear that I chase, eventhough I know that anxiety is not going to hurt me. I have been through 1000's of panic attacks/anxiety attacks and I am still here. All in tact. Yes, there are emotional scares but that is of my own choosing as I chose to live in fear of anxiety. Now, will it go away overnight, No. But, you can work on it daily until it dissipates into just a nudge. My biggest lesson that I have recently learned and accepted is that I will always have anxiety. Period! If you are alive, you will have moments, hours sometimes days of anxiety. But what you do with those moments, days and hours will directly effect how long the anxiety and how much the anxiety will effect you. If you catch what I am saying then you will understand you actually are the one in control, not the anxiety. It will try to trick you but acceptance and facing the fear are the key.

Just Breathe

p.s. i will be reading this again down the road to help myself :sick:

Thank you so much for the post on some reasons why morning anxiety occurs. I had thought that it might have something to do with blood sugar levels. I got up around 6 a.m. and ate some food and I felt pretty good this morning!!! I also got encouragement from the Benzo -Wise book. I said to myself, "Morning anxiety is a symptom. It does not need to be a way of life. Accept it and don't try to fight it."

I have been fighting it tooth and nail, and I decided to just say, It probably/may happen so just accept it.

I think both the food and attitude helped. I have to be realistic, and know that I may still struggle with this, but to have a morning without it. HOOOOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you and be well,

Steph

To add to the conversation

mornings have been the most challenging for me too. Lots of withdrawal symptoms as soon as i open my eyes. I did figure out that when I eat protein late at night and first thing in the morning it really helps/ I also have to carry protein snacks in my purse and find myself a grazer now every two hours or so I have to eat something or my symptoms seem to come on during the day too.

I thank T2 and Pamster for the time it took for the lengthy explanations and tips. I will try the positive affirmations for sure

I do find myself having," will this ever end stuff?" and I want to change it and embrace the moment too

so thanks to all and good luck and prayers to STEPH AND JUST BREATH

PENNYBLUE

Wow look at all this great input!!!!!!!!!! This is so helpful to me!! I'll be checking in regularly to let you folks know my struggles and triumphs with this stuff,  and I look forward to hearing more from you.  :smitten::yippee:

Thanks Steph, Pam, Theresa, Pennyblue, Yoda, and Just Breathe!! :thumbsup:

Matteo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Pa...]

• [so...]

• [bo...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Understanding Early Morning Anxiety

By Deanne Repich

Are mornings the worst time for your anxiety? When the alarm clock rings do you experience a feeling of dread? Do the symptoms kick in, making you tempted to roll over and snooze for hours so you don't have to face the day?

One reason why anxiety can be worse in the morning is that waking up is a sharp contrast to the sleep environment, which is perceived as pleasant for most people.

Picture this: You're sleeping peacefully in your warm, cozy bed, (for some, after many hours of insomnia). You are at peace, finally getting a break from the cares and tasks of the day. Then, BOOM! Suddenly, the shrill sound of your alarm clock jerks you awake. It triggers the "fight or flight" response, our body's inborn self-protective mechanism. And to top it off, the room is cold and dark. The dreaded worries and symptoms kick in.

There are several things you can do to make your "waking up" environment more pleasant. For example, get a radio alarm clock that wakes you up to your favorite music. Another alternative is an alarm clock that wakes you up gradually with pleasant chimes of increasing volume and frequency.

Keep a robe and slippers next to the bed so that you can warm up quickly and minimize a drop in body temperature as you get out of bed. If the bright lights of the room bother you, install a dimmer switch near your bed. You can gradually increase the light's intensity over a period of several minutes after you awaken.

Another reason why symptoms can be worse in the morning is because your blood sugar is low when you first wake up. You have gone all night without food. It's important to maintain a constant blood sugar level because the brain uses glucose as its fuel. If blood sugar levels are too low or drop too fast, then the brain starts running out of fuel. This causes the brain to trigger the "fight or flight" response.

The "fight or flight" response sends a rush of adrenaline, cortisol, and other neurotransmitters through your body to prepare you to fight or flee the perceived threat (low fuel). This process can trigger physical reactions ("symptoms") such as trembling, rapid heartbeat, sweating, panic attacks, fatigue, insomnia, mental confusion, nervousness, dizziness, and more.

To balance your blood sugar levels and minimize symptoms, keep a snack that contains "good" complex carbohydrates and protein by your bed. Eat it when you first wake up. You will likely notice that your symptoms improve shortly after eating the snack. You might try a combination of whole grain crackers and a handful of nuts, or a high-protein granola bar with some whole-wheat pretzels. The "good" carbohydrates will give you energy, and the protein will help to keep your blood sugar level steady over time.

Finally, dead-end thoughts play a huge role in creating early morning anxiety, as well as anxiety at any other time of day. Once you learn to overcome dead-end thoughts, you stop the anxiety cycle in its tracks.

Dead-end thoughts are negative, anxious, obsessive, or racing thoughts, that do not promote your well-being. They are based on faulty thinking patterns. These thoughts of helplessness, negativity, or anxious predictions about the future, give away your personal power and create the anxiety cycle. Here are a few examples of dead-end thoughts:

* "I can't get out of bed feeling like this."

* "Why do I feel this way? There must be something really wrong with me!"

* "Everything is going to go wrong at the work meeting."

* "It's a horrible day."

* "When will this ever stop!"

The most important thing you can do to conquer early morning anxiety is to change how you PERCEIVE waking up. Change the dead-end thoughts that create the anxiety. Remember, physical symptoms by themselves are not anxiety. Negative perceptions are what create and perpetuate the anxiety cycle.

Choose to perceive waking up as a positive event - yes, you have a choice! Habitual dead-end thoughts can be unlearned and replaced with healthier self-talk. Of course, like any new skill you learn, it requires practice and patient persistence on your part to make healthier thoughts automatic.

Change your perception by creating a morning ritual that replaces the dead-end thoughts with healthier ones. Create a sequence of positive steps you can take when you first wake up to conquer early morning anxiety.

Positive rituals are helpful because they get you fully involved in the present moment (instead of the future), by focusing on one task at one time. Make the ritual automatic by taking the same steps every day in the same sequence. Here is an example of an anxiety-busting morning ritual. Use the ideas in this ritual as a starting off point to help you create your own personalized morning ritual.

* Step 1: As you get ready for bed at night, place your alarm clock out of arm's reach from the bed. This action will motivate you to get out of bed to turn off the alarm when it rings the following morning.

When the alarm rings, get out of bed immediately. Turn off the alarm and put on the robe next to your bed. As you do so, say aloud three times in an enthusiastic, cheery voice: "I am SO glad to be alive! What a WONDERFUL day!" Make sure to smile as you do this.

* Step 2: Mentally and physically "check in" with the present moment. Accept any physical sensations without placing a negative judgment on them. Simply observe. Touch your face, hands, and legs a few times and observe the sensations. Focus intently on a few items in the room for several seconds. These simple activities help you to switch your focus from the future back to the present moment.

If dead-end thoughts occur at this time (which they likely will), immediately replace them with healthier thoughts. It often helps to say the positive thoughts aloud. For example, if you're thinking: "I can't get out of bed feeling like this," replace it with: "These physical sensations might be uncomfortable, yet I know they are harmless. I am completely safe. I am physically able to get out of bed and have a great day. Watch. I can get out of bed just fine!" Then DO it!

* Step 3: Turn on your favorite upbeat music CD. (Keep a CD player in your bedroom.) Sing along and dance for a minute or two.

* Step 4: Eat the snack on your bedside table to help level your blood sugar.

* Step 5: Take a shower and dress. Then continue with your day.

Once you find a pattern that works for you, use the same morning ritual -- the same steps in the same sequence -- every day. Repetition helps you to effectively unlearn old thoughts and behaviors and make the new ones automatic.

Thanks for the encouragement, Pam. I think that checking in to the blog in the morning might in itself be good for my a.m. blues/worries.

Matteo

Okay, today's a perfect example of my difficult mornings. My alarm went off at 8, I immediately press snooze bar (I got 8 hrs. of sleep at this point). The snooze bar thing is total escapism. I think I'm escaping, but I'm just putting things off, which makes matters worse, of course. I have much to do today and in half-sleep, life and the tasks at hand seem overwhelming, but procrastinating really screws things up. Oh well, I really do need to get going now, but I'll be checking back and posting, etc. I hope that will help me work on this issue. I realize its a general life issue, but it seems that the w/ds have made it worse.

Matteo

Dear Matteo, I dont have a whole lot more I can add to this, but this is a wonderful thread.  

About 15 years ago, I was crippled by anxiety.  I was on benzos.  One day in the car, STILL crippled by anxiety, I said, OUT LOUD, I will NOT let the anxiety run my life, and I can tell you it made a huge difference. Yes, I stayed on benzos far too long, but I know now I can and will get off them.  I am nearly there.  

In May, I met the only other person I have ever known who had anxiety, at least as bad, probably worse than I had it.  I could see the fear in that persons eyes and on their face.  I am not happy anyone has this,  but I am glad I saw it, cuz I knew at that particular moment, we were perfectly safe.  

Thank you again for this thread.  I may share this info with my family because they dont or cant believe this.

I hope you feel better soon.  You surely deserve it.   S  

Thanks, S. I like your determination. What I've found is that determination to be active is more than half the battle. I definitely have more anxiety in the morning if there's something I must do. I know that this is sort of normal, but the benzo w/ds make it so much worse. But I've found that it is really a matter of powering through those first moments and getting in the shower!!!! Once I've done that, I'm on my way. My sense of my troubles and my responsibilities is just so negatively warped while I'm just waking up, especially if I'm coming out of nightmares (listed in Ashton Manual as a know benzo w/d symptom). So I'm going to start checking in to this thread first thing in the a.m just to say: "Okay, I'm getting out of bed and getting in the shower now!"  :yippee:

Matteo

I've always loved mornings, especially weekend mornings.  Even when I was in Klonopin withdrawals the mornings didn't bother me too much.  It wasn't until I got wrapped around Ambien that I started to feel this way.  The day would loom in front of me like a never ending sentence of pain.  Wow, I'd forgotten that part....sure glad I don't have to take drugs anymore.

Yes, a bit late, I slept in (it IS Saturday), but I AM getting up and getting in the shower. At least I don't feel too anxious. I have some work today, so that helps get the day rolling I suppose. The letter posted above by Theresa has some great strategies. I think I'll follow some of those.

Pam, it must be fantastic to be a morning person. So you've returned now to being a morning person?

Matteo

I'm up and about. Just checking in. I'm blessed to have some work to do today. I do notice, however, that mornings are hard for me. All the things I need to do just hit me at once and it's a bit difficult to sort them out. Thankfully, I believe I'm still in a window or over the benzo nightmare. I may well just be dealing with anxiety that brought me to seek relief through benzos in the first place. Thank God I'm not doing that anymore!! I'll check back later.

Peace to all my Benzo Buddies,

Matteo  :smitten:

matteo , morning were allways the pits for me too.  would go to bed feeling pretty good and wake up  and start feeling hopeless and the depression would set in,  got to where I liked to stay up later and later to postpone the mornings,  finally that lifted and the guy that went to bed ok , showed up in the morning too.  Hope that happens for y0u too.

st

Thanks, ST! Your response is reassuring. Your kind and quick responses mean a lot to me. It also may just take practice (i.e. doing things listed in articles above). I feel better now that I'm organizing my day after shower breakfast, etc. I hope you're doing well after jumping off -- Big time congratulations on that!!

Matteo

Hi Matteo!  Just want to check in and say HI.  As you know, mornings have been really tough for me as well.  Theresa2's post has so much good information and I know we can overcome this morning stuff.  This is just a suggestion (for me as well):  Since the subconcious mind believes everthing the concious mind tells it, I think it's a good idea for us not to keep saying we dread mornings.  It will just reinforce that belief.  I'm going to start by saying  "Mornings are a good thing",  "Every morning gets better and better"...etc...stuff like that.  I used to have this book, a small paperback titled "The Power of the Subconcious Mind".  I forget who the author is but I'm going to look into it.  It's real easy reading and a real eye-opener regarding how our concious self-talk continues to program the subconcious ing.  Hope tomorrow morning is good for you.  I'll check in.

xoxo

Lyd

Hi, ST. Day went well, thanks! A bit tired, though. I've spent the past four days climbing and cutting trees. I need the money and work is work, I guess. On Saturday it was 105 degrees! I have to say, though, that I didn't mind, really. I think I'm just so glad to be out of benzo hell! I kind of feel like I'm just going to have to focus on helping others on this site (like you) since I'm doing so much better. How are you feeling? I believe Friday was your last day? Are you having any w/ds?

Oh, phone ringing, I'll check back with you tomorrow. Take care.

Matteo

Yep, I'm a morning person!  It's my best time of the day, but I don't think the coming morning will be.  I've been trying to fall asleep for 4 hours, no luck.  Yuk, I hate this.  You know how you might be dealing with what made you reach for a benzo, the anxiety?  Well, I'm dealing with what made me reach, sleep!  I wonder if I'll be able to go to work?  Since I have to get up in 3 hours, I'm thinking it's going to be a long day.  I can't sleep in the day, even if I did stay home from work, that would just screw up my night.  Wow, I'm doing a bit of whining aren't I?  Poor me...

So, are you still cutting trees?  Hey, I need to find your other thread and talk to you there huh?  This is your morning thread, well that will work since it's morning! 

Thanks for listening to me whine, I hope you're being careful climbing those trees.  And drink plenty of fluids since it's so hot.  ::)

Hey Pam, I can't sleep during the day no matter how tired I am either.  I took a Unisom at about 4 AM and slept until 9:30 but it was a crappy sleep. I had a bad migraine last night and just needed to be out of pain.  I have taken Unison on and off during my taper.  This is a real bad idea isn't it?

Lyd

Hey Pam, I can't sleep during the day no matter how tired I am either.  I took a Unisom at about 4 AM and slept until 9:30 but it was a crappy sleep. I had a bad migraine last night and just needed to be out of pain.  I have taken Unison on and off during my taper.  This is a real bad idea isn't it?

Lyd

Hi Lyd,

I don't see a problem with using an over the counter sleep aid once in awhile.  If they don't rev up your symptoms or you develop a tolerance you should be okay.  Yeah, the only good sleep is the natural stuff.  Oh well, some day... :)

Hey Pam,

I hope you were able to get some sleep. I know that feeling well. Lately, I've been able to sleep, but as you know, I've been taking a small amount of Seroquel for that. Even though it's a tiny dose, I'm hoping to get off that, too. I've actually been very sleepy that past two days, but I think that has to do with doing all this physical work in the heat (yes, plenty of fluids, and careful climbing). I've forgotten how much all that physical work can take out of you. It's different than working out, more tiring in a way (different muscles, etc.). I didn't work today, so this morning I slept until 10:00 (?) which really screws up my days (I feel so guilty when I get a late start). Then I was really sleepy this afternoon. Ugh! So hard to get the right balance! Well I'm going to try to get up earlier tomorrow. Now that I have a little dough, I've got to make job-hunting my full-time job for now.

Good to hear from you, Pam. I'm sorry about the sleep business, but seeing as how you never seem to complain about anything, I'm hoping the current troubles are an aberration. About my other thread "Matteo's Welcome Thread," it's been downgraded to page two of "General Withdrawal Support," which seems appropriate, as I'm not exactly stuggling with w/ds of late. Frankly, I'm trying to see how I'm going to stay involved. I think I'll just try to support others in withdrawal, encourage them with my personal story of triumph via Benzo Buddies.

Talk to you soon,

Matteo :)

Glad to hear your getting a little sleep ,  many here have insomnia as a major symptom before and after.  Getting sleep just helps you heal so much more in my book.  so that is a good thing.

St

Hey Pam,

I hope you were able to get some sleep. I know that feeling well. Lately, I've been able to sleep, but as you know, I've been taking a small amount of Seroquel for that. Even though it's a tiny dose, I'm hoping to get off that, too. I've actually been very sleepy that past two days, but I think that has to do with doing all this physical work in the heat (yes, plenty of fluids, and careful climbing). I've forgotten how much all that physical work can take out of you. It's different than working out, more tiring in a way (different muscles, etc.). I didn't work today, so this morning I slept until 10:00 (?) which really screws up my days (I feel so guilty when I get a late start). Then I was really sleepy this afternoon. Ugh! So hard to get the right balance! Well I'm going to try to get up earlier tomorrow. Now that I have a little dough, I've got to make job-hunting my full-time job for now.

Good to hear from you, Pam. I'm sorry about the sleep business, but seeing as how you never seem to complain about anything, I'm hoping the current troubles are an aberration. About my other thread "Matteo's Welcome Thread," it's been downgraded to page two of "General Withdrawal Support," which seems appropriate, as I'm not exactly stuggling with w/ds of late. Frankly, I'm trying to see how I'm going to stay involved. I think I'll just try to support others in withdrawal, encourage them with my personal story of triumph via Benzo Buddies.

Talk to you soon,

Matteo :)

Hi Matteo,

When I was suffering I didn't hang out here much, the computer revved me up too much.  So, I joined in March of 2008, but didn't really start posting until Jan 2009.  By that time I was healed and just wanted to help.  I finally started a blog so folks could find me and talk if they wanted to, you can find me in Buddie Space. 

If you like hanging out here with us, you could start a blog and call that your home base.  Then, pop around the forum helping others when you can.  I hope you'll stick around Matteo, I've really appreciated what you add to the forum.

It sounds like you're doing what they used to call good honest work while you're job hunting.  You're probably sore in places you haven't felt in awhile.  I hope you have success finding a job in one of the many fields you've worked in, or maybe even a new one. 

Pam :smitten:

Thanks, Pam. So good to hear your kind words. I just realized that I've been logged in for 2 or 3 days! Oh well. Here I am. Things are going pretty well, but I'm still struggling with some weird sleep patterns. At least I get sleep even if it seems like I might be overdoing it a bit lately. I was so tired last night (which is good), but I woke up ravenously hungry and ate an entire package of turkey jerky and then an entire package of candied pecans in rapid succession (no, I haven't started smoking pot). That was at about 2:30 a.m. and then I couldn't sleep until 6:00a.m. - just after I went outside to move my car to avoid a ticket and found a copy "Awake" (how fitting) left by the Jehovah's Witnesses on my doorstep. Then, I went back to sleep and missed my volunteer teaching gig (which is okay; there's another teacher there). I slipped into guilty mode, though, and have had a sort of guilty-feeling day as a result. hmmm. One good thing is that I got a call from someone who might want me to write some copy for his website (his organization rescues children around the world from prostitution). I don't know how much to charge but I'm sure as heck going to take the work if he offers. Who knows, it might lead to other such jobs. My work life is so strange right now: climbing trees/cutting wood way out in the country; clerical work for a doctor; and now copywriting? This is all good, especially that I'm not saying "no" to things or hiding out like when I was in w/ds. As regards sticking around, I may just take your advice about starting a blog and watching for newcomers. I know it meant the world to me to hear the reassurances of those who'd been to hell and and made it back (like yourself). Well, off I go. I'll check back later. Hope you're doing well, Pam. You're such a great person, you deserve many good things in your life (yes, but I do understand that we all have our ups and downs).

Ciao,

Matteo

Hi All,

Hope all is well or improving.    I am on 30 mg Pax 2 weeks ago, 50 mg traz and 12 mg valium.  I went down to 11 and already started to get the morning sensitivity, my gf moves and then I get a shot of addrenalin, panic.  Eat protein?  any other suggestions?

Matt