Any help from doctor in getting off benzo?

[...]

Hi, I am Suzy and want to help my mom get off the horrible drug Clonezepam.

I realize I was here before a few years ago,I see it was 4 years ago.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=57346.0

anyway, My mom was put on this drug when diagnosed with stage 1 cancer based on her reaction to the news (of course she was anxious when told she had cancer!).  She had surgery, some chemo and it was gone back then, hasn't come back, but this drug clonazepam is still being taken years later and prescribed by her primary.  she got thru cancer fast and fine (we're so fortunate) and they shouldn't have even prescribed thisor she should've been taken right off it.  It makes no sense, now her life is really not always her own because of the drug.. 

It's evil. 

Does anyone know of a center or doctor in Rhode Island or nearby that can help, someone experienced and successful in getting someone off this.  I feel she should be monitored because of her age and I think she needs guidance from a qualified doc. vs. coming off it on her own.

Any feedback would be helpful.  The symptoms are awful and it's scary.  I had her go to a psychologist or psychiatrist I thought specialized in Med Management but he said she's not crazy and that she should continue the drug.  that was a cop out, I'm sure. any feedback or guidance would be super helpful because i truly want to help and not come back here in 4 more years with the same problem.  I wish I kept on this and helped more back in 2012!  I appreciate any replies.

(by the way, I wrote a note to manufacturer today looking for help, but they'll likely tell me she has to see her doc and that'll be that...we shall see)thanks.

Hi, there.  So sorry to hear about your mother's predicament with clonazepam, but happy to hear that her cancer is gone.

I would re-post your post in another area of the forum.  I think it might fit better - and be seen more prominently - in the "Withdrawal Support (During your Taper)".  Just a recommendation.  :)

Good luck to you.

Serenity  :smitten:

• 3 years later...
I went thru 3 years of cancer treatment and was put on benzo ativan its the same as Klonopin your mom takes........I am in Rhode Island and am desperately seeking a doctor that can do the Ashton Manual which is change me to valium and taper off..... I belong to all the Benzo groups and forums and cant find a Rhode Island doctor....so I just hit search Rhode Island in this forum and saw your post... I hope your mom got help....and if you had any sucesss finding a doctor that understand the right way to do this.....thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Below are a couple of links with suggestion on how to find a medical professional  that might be willing to work with you on a taper plan.

http://benzosupport.org/getting_a_doctor.htm

https://www.benzoinfo.com/2018/12/12/how-to-find-a-doctor-10-tips-to-quit-benzos/

I had a clueless GP who knew how to put me on Atavan but was clueless how to help me get off.

The best thing I did was print out the whole Ashton Manual and give it to my GP.  I also came up with my own taper plan based off the Ashton Manual sample withdrawal schedules. Many ways to

do this and all have their advantages and disadvantages...... direct taper, substitution, liquid titration, etc

There is an online taper calculator by BB Jim Hawk (at the link below)  that you can use to come up with a custom taper schedule. Atavan has a shorter half life so Ashton suggests converting to a longer half life benzo (valium) to even out interdose withdrawals.  This is what I did.  You could switch from K to V but since K has a longer half-life (18-50hrs)  you could taper directly from K .....  do so research on BB before you decide. I found Valium did not work as well for anxiety and was causing more depression at higher dosages.

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/

K is a powerful benzo and can be difficult to get off of....  1mg K=20 mg of Valium... but many have done it either directly or by substituting a long acting benzo,  Daily Liquid titration is a good way to go.... particularly at low dosages...but many have done a "dry cut & hold" as Ashton suggest.  Many options to choose from  Lot  of experienced BB willing to help here ... find the appropriate forum and and post your questions.

There are plenty of individualized support groups at the link below once you decide how you want

to proceed with your taper.... just use the search function to narrow you field of interest down.

You can get a a lot of good ideas by reading people's "signature" at the bottom of their posts. .

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=147.0

Welcome to BB !

Hi, I am Suzy and want to help my mom get off the horrible drug Clonezepam.

I realize I was here before a few years ago,I see it was 4 years ago.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=57346.0

anyway, My mom was put on this drug when diagnosed with stage 1 cancer based on her reaction to the news (of course she was anxious when told she had cancer!).  She had surgery, some chemo and it was gone back then, hasn't come back, but this drug clonazepam is still being taken years later and prescribed by her primary.  she got thru cancer fast and fine (we're so fortunate) and they shouldn't have even prescribed thisor she should've been taken right off it.  It makes no sense, now her life is really not always her own because of the drug.. 

It's evil. 

Does anyone know of a center or doctor in Rhode Island or nearby that can help, someone experienced and successful in getting someone off this.  I feel she should be monitored because of her age and I think she needs guidance from a qualified doc. vs. coming off it on her own.

Any feedback would be helpful.  The symptoms are awful and it's scary.  I had her go to a psychologist or psychiatrist I thought specialized in Med Management but he said she's not crazy and that she should continue the drug.  that was a cop out, I'm sure. any feedback or guidance would be super helpful because i truly want to help and not come back here in 4 more years with the same problem.  I wish I kept on this and helped more back in 2012!  I appreciate any replies.

(by the way, I wrote a note to manufacturer today looking for help, but they'll likely tell me she has to see her doc and that'll be that...we shall see)thanks.

I read your post and the replies from your 2012 link.

There were some thoughtful questions posed in that link regarding your mother's age, her desires regarding her use of benzos and her quality of life related to her use and the possible long-term and debilitating symptoms related to w/d from benzos.

my very best wishes for you and your mother!