Switching from K to V...Feel awful...

[De...]

I'm having a really hard time with the V substitution. I was suppose to up the Valium to 20 mg day after a week but I just increase it to 20 mg yesterday so almost 11 days later and not 7 days. For a reason I don't know, I don't react good to the Valium this time, or my body don't agree with it. I feel SO TIRED but much more anxious than usual (feel unmotivated, lack of energy, not depress at all but just tired like I didn't sleep at all for 2 days in a row, even if I sleep around 6 hours by night and stay in bed up to 10 hours and just close my eyes and think about 1000000 things at the same time without sleeping really).

It can't be because the Valium dose of 20 mg don't cover the cut of 1 mg of Klonopin I did, since the conversion chart is right about the dose and it always worked for me in the past. Ok, to begin with I don't feel the Klonopin effect when I take it, BUT I know I take it because it keep my anxiety at the same level, if I skip a dose I start having panic attacks and heart rate and blood pressure is going up very fast). What I find weird is that I feel the Xanax, 0.25 mg of X and I will feel it (I'm allowed to take up to 1 mg a day of Xanax as needed when I have bad panic attacks or when I need to get out the house). Something is not right, I mean I know the Xanax is one of the strongest benzo, but in the conversion chart the Xanax and Klonopin are the same mg by mg by mg.

It's hard to describe how I feel right now, I'm very tired and simple task like taking a shower are hard to achieve (I usually take my shower around 11 AM but now wait and wait before taking it and take it at 3-4 PM), the headache is also a lot more bad than usual, have vision problem (hard to focus and eyes pain, eyes burn and are red), don't have motivation to do things, will watch a movie and will not remember it, it's like i'm looking at the TV screen but don't really look at it or listening, the agoraphobia is also more bad than usual and I usually force myself to at least get out the house 1 time a week and go with my mom to the Wal-Mart and covinience store but since I start the substitution I didn't get out the house at all and just the idea to go out make my heart pounding in my chest.

In term of panic attacks it's the same, not more but not less. I somewhat feel more anxious but also a lot more tired (was already tired to begin with). I just jump yesterday to 20 mg of Valium so 10 mg x 2 a day and i'm suppose to increase at 30 mg day in 4 days and 40 mg in 2 weeks. I don't know if I will be able to go to 40 mg of Valium daily + the 6 mg of Klonopin, the sedation level and lack of energy is hard to deal with.

Maybe my body need more time for the transition? Maybe all the active metabolites don't already had the time to accumulate in my body and assure a good anxiety relief and not only sedation (usually take 4-5 weeks for the metabolites to accumulate no?).

Will see how I react to the 20 mg day of V, I try to take 5 mg x 4 a day insistead of 10 mg x 2 times a day because 10 mg at the same time make me feel not good at all, sedated but anxious. Maybe that way it will be easier no?

If I really can't go higher for the Valium then when I will see my Doctor in 2 weeks, I will ask him about a liquid titration directly from the K and will just keep the 20 mg of Valium as a kind of base to my tapering plan and keep the blood level of benzo stable.

I really don't know but some day are ok and I don't feel worse with the Valium, those day are when i'm more busy and have less time to ruminate about all the long time it will take to complete the withdrawal and also worry about my addiction and tolerance and all the physical symptoms I live with all the time.

Maybe I put to much pressure on me about that whole tapering thing? It's hard to not freak out and think about how badly the withdrawal will be especially at the very high dose of K I am now and how bad is my tolerance level to the benzo drugs in general. I fear a lot about the long term effects like very bad memory or if I will recover at all after all those years on those awful drugs.

I read a lot of stories on another websites about people literally abusing from benzo drugs for years, taking as much as 20-30 mg of Klonopin a day and they don't seem to deal with all the physical symptoms I have daily or they don't seem to deal with panic attacks or things like that, so I wonder why I feel so bad and if it's really the benzo who make me feel that way? I never abuse the benzo drugs, always follow my Doctor RX, always take less than what I was prescribe or take smaller dose but more often just to not have to take more. Always have 2 bootles or more of Klonopin pills in advance, I mean that I accumulate over time because I always take a lower dose everyday, so was prescribe 8 mg day of Klonopin but never take more than 7.75 a day or 7.5 if you know what I mean, so I never abuse them. Same for the Xanax, even if i'm alowed to take 1 mg day, I barely use it and keep it for the big panic attacks or when I need to get out the house.  So my meds a renew each month automatically but never use the 30 mg pills of 1 mg each month and use maybe 10 a month maximum so always stock the pills in my pharmacy... Yes i'm addicted for sure, stocking pills are probably a sign that i'm addicted big time, but i'm a control freak and never abuse the benzo pills and never wanted to feel high from the benzo cause I HATE feeling like i'm not in control of my body and brain, it trigger panic attacks so illegal drugs and even alcohol are a big no no for me cause they will not let me be in control of myself. I just stock the pills in case something went wrong and can't renew the RX, don't want to have to quit cold turkey because in the past I quit cold turkey the Xanax and had seizures and horrible symptoms, I don't live that again especially with the severe anxiety I live with right now.

Anyway, sorry for the long message, if you know some tips to avoid to focus on the withdrawal and tapering process and also cope with the physical symptoms, just let me know. I need some support and sadly I can't afford to pay for a Therapist.

Thanks

I was unable to switch from K to V. But the good news is that you can directly taper from K just fine. Try a daily microtaper. A lot of us found that this really relieves the wd ssx. The details of my personal method are in the link in my signature.  :thumbsup:

D40,

Switching to diazepam doesn't work for everyone. Personally, for me taking both drugs means that the diazepam greatly potentiates the clonazepam.

Are you unable to lower the clonazepam to a lower dose, like 4 mg or 2 mg before switching to diazepam ? I would not recommend taking these two benzos alongside for a long time.

Also, you mentioned the word 'panic'. What I have read, is that Klonopin is effective against panic attacks, and that diazepam would barely work. I'm not saying it's true, it's what I have read.

One thing to consider, and it certainly is not a recommendation, is to get your panic under control by using a different drug. For example, an SSRI.

Again, I am not recommending this but switching to diazepam is not for everyone.

D40,

Switching to diazepam doesn't work for everyone. Personally, for me taking both drugs means that the diazepam greatly potentiates the clonazepam.

Are you unable to lower the clonazepam to a lower dose, like 4 mg or 2 mg before switching to diazepam ? I would not recommend taking these two benzos alongside for a long time.

Also, you mentioned the word 'panic'. What I have read, is that Klonopin is effective against panic attacks, and that diazepam would barely work. I'm not saying it's true, it's what I have read.

One thing to consider, and it certainly is not a recommendation, is to get your panic under control by using a different drug. For example, an SSRI.

Again, I am not recommending this but switching to diazepam is not for everyone.

Thanks for your answer.

My first tapering was done that way and it worked well. The main idea behind the Valium substitution is to get a stable level of benzo in my blood stream. The Klonopin never worked really well for my panic disorder to begin with, it's just more potent than the Valium. Everyone is different and I don't feel the Valium is potentiates the Klonopin at all. I also take the Xanax in low dose when I get out the house so i'm basically on 3 benzo. I have a high tolerance to the benzo effects so the Klonopin and Valium will not work to stop or prevent the panic attacks at all. The Xanax is the only one who will work to prevent the panic attacks or stop them, BUT even with the Xanax I still feel anxious and tense.

All the benzo have the same benifits, it's just a question of potency and dose equivalency. The Klonopin was developped as a anti-seizure med to begin with and not an anti panic drug. A lot of studies show that the Valium is as effective than the Klonopin for treatment of panic disorder with and without agoraphobia, they just differ in their potency and dose. The only one benzo who was approved as a treatment for panic disorder is the Xanax but not because it's better than the Valium or Klonopin on that purpose but because it was push by the pharmaceutical industry as a drug to treat that disorder and a lot of studies was done for the treatment of panic disorder with the Xanax before it was launch on the market, that's the main difference between those 3 benzo. The main problem is that all  the benzodiazepine drugs lost their anti panic effect after a while because of the tolerance and the down-regulation of the Gaba-a receptors in the brain.

So the main idea is to get stable on 50 mg of Valium and then start decreasing the Klonopin by 0.25 mg week or every 2 weeks, it will depend of my withdrawal symptoms. Since my severe anxiety is not controled at all, I will certainly have more difficulty to reduce my dose, so the whole tapering process will take maybe more than 2 years, but well the time to tapering is not that important for me.

For the antidepressant, the only one who worked for me was the Paxil, it was my lifesaver for a good while, the only thing who stop for good all the panic attacks and all the apprehension and fears about dying. I did the mistake to stop it back in 2009 because of the major weight gain I had from it ( I had a gastric by-pass surgery to loose weight so I didn't wanted to gain weight again after all the surgeries I had and all the pain). Of course, I tried often to take again the Paxil since 2010, I tried at least 2 time a year since then but my body react very badly to all the psych drugs now. I was cutting the 10 mg pills of Paxil in 10 pieces and I had horrible side-effects who didn't fade away with time mainly increase anxiety, more panic attacks, major heart problems (atrial fibrilation, supraventricular tachycardia, high blood pressure), i'm taking a beta blocker med for my heart and to reduce my blood pressure and the high heart rate but even with the beta blocker I wasn't able to deal with all the autonomic nervous system activation side-effects from the Paxil. I also tried the Lexapro at 1 mg and had the same reaction and had to go to the ER for my heart. Same thing happen with the Celexa and the Zoloft. I didn't even bother to try the Prozac since it's a very stimulating SSRI and had bad anxiety from it when I try it back in 2007 (didn't had panic disorder at the time) but the prozac was giving to me horrible panic attacks... Like I already explain in another thread, since 2010, my body react badly to all the psych meds. I receive a diagnosis of fibromyalgia in 2014 and the Psychiatrist doctor put me on the Cymbalta for the pain and he said it will help me with the anxiety but I only took 2 capsules and had to went to the ER because of my heart. He then switch me to Valproic acid and said it will be good for the anxiety and had again very bad reaction from my heart. He switch me to the Lamictal saying it can be good for the anxiety and I had of course the same heart reaction with the famous deadly rash and had to stop taking it. Last year I try again the Paxil, again 1 mg, it was so bad, my heart was racing at 240 and had arrhytmia, body rigidity, high fever...all the symptoms of serotonin syndrome. My Doctor explain to me that they are 2 theory about the serotonin and the anxiety, the first one being that people with anxiety disorders have low serotonin level in their brain and the second theory is that people with anxiety disorders have high serotonin level in their brain, so he think that I have high serotonin in my brain. No test exist to detect the exact amount of serotonin we have in the brain so it's hard to know but high or low serotonin level in the brain will answer well to SSRI's in general because after the initial increase serotonin level who occur in the fisrt few weeks, the serotonin receptors will start to down-regulate the serotonin receptors so it will balance the serotonin level in the brain and reduce the anxiety.

Well, sorry for the long reply... Yes the Valium is not for everyone, but it worked for a little while for me in the past so I will stuck with it for now, why change something who work before? Of course, I will cut the Klonopin dose when I will reach the 50 mg of Valium. I will maybe try the liquid titritation technique or dry cut, it will depend of my body and brain reaction.

So again thanks again  :)

I was unable to switch from K to V. But the good news is that you can directly taper from K just fine. Try a daily microtaper. A lot of us found that this really relieves the wd ssx. The details of my personal method are in the link in my signature.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for your answer! Like I said, will try to increase to 50 mg day of V and get a stable blood level of V and I will start reducing the K.

I'm not familiar with all the terms here so when you talk about a daily microtaper is it a liquid taper? If so, I think it's what I will do when I will start cutting my K dose at week 5 (i'm only at week 2 now). I just need to look again how it work because I don't want to put all my K pills for 1 day in 300 ml of milk or water and do this everyday and reduce by 1 ml everyday, I mean that it's not very practical when you are not at home and need to take your dose, carrying the bottle of liquid all the time with me is not something good. Also I don't want to loose dose, my Doctor will be very strict and will not RX more pills, if he want me to reduce by 0.25 every 2 weeks then he will RX the exact number of pills (even if he know that I will maybe hold on for some weeks at some point),  I will look if it's possible to only use a 0.5 mg of K pill and put it in the liquid and then reduce the dose slowly each day by reducing by 1 ml each day to decrease the dose by a maximum of 0.5 mg K every month to begin and see how I react... I tried to calculate that way with the Excel sheet but can't figure out how to do it. Will have to read all the informations on this website.

Anyway, will go look at your link and see your method!

Thanks again  :D

D40,

We disagree on some things, in particular 'All the benzo have the same benifits, it's just a question of potency and dose equivalency. The Klonopin was developped as a anti-seizure med to begin with and not an anti panic drug. A lot of studies show that the Valium is as effective than the Klonopin for treatment of panic disorder with and without agoraphobia, they just differ in their potency and dose. The only one benzo who was approved as a treatment for panic disorder is the Xanax but not because it's better than the Valium or Klonopin on that purpose but because it was push by the pharmaceutical industry as a drug to treat that disorder and a lot of studies was done for the treatment of panic disorder with the Xanax before it was launch on the market, that's the main difference between those 3 benzo. The main problem is that all  the benzodiazepine drugs lost their anti panic effect after a while because of the tolerance and the down-regulation of the Gaba-a receptors in the brain.' That seems to come right out of the Ashton manual.

Some people say that Klonopin is twice as strong as Xanax. By potency, not therapeutic effect.

I hope it works for you.

D40,

We disagree on some things, in particular 'All the benzo have the same benifits, it's just a question of potency and dose equivalency. The Klonopin was developped as a anti-seizure med to begin with and not an anti panic drug. A lot of studies show that the Valium is as effective than the Klonopin for treatment of panic disorder with and without agoraphobia, they just differ in their potency and dose. The only one benzo who was approved as a treatment for panic disorder is the Xanax but not because it's better than the Valium or Klonopin on that purpose but because it was push by the pharmaceutical industry as a drug to treat that disorder and a lot of studies was done for the treatment of panic disorder with the Xanax before it was launch on the market, that's the main difference between those 3 benzo. The main problem is that all  the benzodiazepine drugs lost their anti panic effect after a while because of the tolerance and the down-regulation of the Gaba-a receptors in the brain.' That seems to come right out of the Ashton manual.

Some people say that Klonopin is twice as strong as Xanax. By potency, not therapeutic effect.

I hope it works for you.

HI Liberty,

I was just saying that everyone is different. Also, all the benzodiazepine drugs are unselective to the Gaba-a receptors subtypes so it's really a question of potency and equivalent dose use, and NO I don't take this in the Ashton manual, I take this from my personnal experience.

For the Klonopin being 2 times stronger than the Xanax I disagree with you. I have high tolerance to the benzodiazepine drugs, I can take 2 mg of Klonopin and will not feel nothing at all, not even sedated and it will not affect my speech ability or make me feel sluggish or less anxious, BUT with only 0.25 mg of Xanax I can feel it even with my high tolerance level to the benzo. I feel more relaxed but also more energic, it have a lift mood effect on me but it affect badly my speech and have difficulty to talk and i'm sluggish...

When I first start the Klonopin, 0.5 mg was killing all my anxiety but never felt high or euphoric. When the Klonopin stop working even at 8 mg day and was switch to the same amount of Xanax so 8 mg day, I had to take half so 4 mg day at the begining because I felt very euphoric like I was drunk and I was free of anxiety of all kind for sure, sadly it's very addictive and it lost it's effect more rapidly than the Klonopin so it's better to use the Xanax as needed only in case of extreme panic attacks or situational trigger panic attack and not prevention of panic attack.

Of course, with the Valium I never experience dose higher than 50 mg day, so I never felt a big anxiety relief from it since it's very weak if you look at all the different conversion charts around the web, 50 mg of Valium being equal to only 2.5 mg of Klonopin or 2.5 mg of Xanax.

Benzo equivalency charts differ often for the Klonopin and Xanax dose, some of them especially used in the UK and Australia give an equivalent dose of Xanax and Valium as 1:10 so 1 mg of X = 10 mg of V and for the Klonopin it's 2 to 4 mg of Klonopin = 10 mg of Valium. I even saw one chart with a 0.25 mg of Klonopin = 10 mg of Valium,  so potency of the Klonopin is not the same as the Xanax for everyone. I just think from my personnal point of view that it's impossible to know exactly what is the real equivalency dose for all the benzo drugs.

I had one Psychiatrist Doctor back in 2007 that had 4 different equivalency charts on his office desk, he was using all the time them like he wanted, never the same and sometimes for no apparent reason he was using the Australia one or the UK one or the Canadian one. He switch me so many times from one benzo to another one (from 2007 to 2009) and switch my other psych meds so often from an antidepressant to another one or any kind of other psych meds category, that he kinda mess up with all my brain...

Since everyone is different, for some people 1 mg of Klonopin = 10 mg of Valium and for other people 0.25 mg of Klonopin = 10 mg of Valium, it depend of a lot of factors like your tolerance to the benzo drugs, the number of years you use them, your anxiety level before you begin your tapering plan, your mental disorders (major depression or panic disorder with or without agoraphobia, social anxiety, GAD, OCD, bipolar type 1-2, personality disorder...) and many more...

Well, we all have our preference, for me I prefer to have some Valium in my blood and be stable when I will start cutting the Klonopin dose.

Anyway, I don't remember your signature so don't know if you are off your benzo now or not, but I wish to you also good luck! The klonopin is such a bad med especially when the Doctor who RX it keep you on it for many years...

Take care  :D

Not to start a whole argument, but to be brief:

'Also, all the benzodiazepine drugs are unselective to the Gaba-a receptors subtypes so it's really a question of potency and equivalent dose use, and NO I don't take this in the Ashton manual, I take this from my personnal experience.'

If we even assume that all benzodiazepines bind to all the subtypes of the GABAA receptor, they differ so in affinity. Also, in the location of the brain but I'm not sure if that's a different issue.

8 mg Klonopin= 4 mg Xanax , that's a therapeutic effect.

Not to start a whole argument, but to be brief:

'Also, all the benzodiazepine drugs are unselective to the Gaba-a receptors subtypes so it's really a question of potency and equivalent dose use, and NO I don't take this in the Ashton manual, I take this from my personnal experience.'

If we even assume that all benzodiazepines bind to all the subtypes of the GABAA receptor, they differ so in affinity. Also, in the location of the brain but I'm not sure of that's a different issue.

8 mg Klonopin= 4 mg Xanax , that's a therapeutic effect.

I don't get it? Why 8 mg of K = 4 mg of X ? I feel more the Xanax anti-anxiety effect because I don't take it daily, but when the Klonopin was still effective to prevent the panic attacks and social anxiety, the effect was almost the same minus the lift of mood I feel with the Xanax, who make me feel very happy (not druggy, just feel great on it), but I don't want to switch to the Xanax since I know that the tolerance will kick in very fast and it will be even worse to stop it than the Klonopin.

Also, all the benzo use as anxiolytics are unselective to the different subtypes of the Gaba-a receptors, but they have different effects, some of them may be act more on the a2 subtype who is linked to the anti-seizure effect and anxiolytic effect. That's what I was saying. They are unselective because they all affect the same subtypes of the Gaba-a receptor but to a different extend. I guess that the Xanax is more active at the subtype of the Gaba-a receptor who is responsible for the anxiolytic effect and the Valium is more active at the subtype of the Gaba-a receptor who is linked to the hypnotic effect and muscle relaxant effect and acting weaker to the anxiolytic subtype of the Gaba-a receptor.

The Gaba-a receptor is a very complex one. But all those benzo drugs are addictive and lead to tolerance to all their effects, that's a true fact whatever their effects (sedative, anxiolytic, muscle relaxant, anti-seizure...).

And no i'm not here to start an argument with the other members of this website. Just remember that we are all different, someone can find the Valium to be one of the best anxiolytic benzo and someone else will find it not useful at all. Some people will prefer the Klonopin and find it very useful as an anti-panic med and some people will not tolerate at all the Xanax and find it weak. So all the whole benzo equivalency thing is just subjective and it's personal and different for everyone and their brain chemistry.

• 2 years later...

How did yóu cross back to K

Why wouldn't you handle the cross

D40,

LIBERTY

SORRY to hijack, PLS feel free to reply in PM if you prefer...

BUT -- please could you describe this quote reply?

HOW did these 2 'potentiating' make you feel?

RE: " Personally, for me taking both drugs means that the diazepam greatly potentiates the clonazepam"

AND -- "I would not recommend taking these two benzos alongside for a long time"

Please could you explain ?

I fear i'm suffering from some form of this negative effect of both K + V -- since OCT -- 2 gradual swaps, but not proper Ashton.

So, 4 months stuck on these 2 benzos -- mostly holding at same dose -- then, another swap in NOV/DEC due to feeling worse. Holding since.

Did a tiny cut 2% cut of K about 10 days ago -- DVT type sxs in left leg got worse, which started w/Lyrica trial 6 wks ago [was only 4 days @ 25mg, but awful].

Need to act ASAP -- maybe change back to K -- which was so painful at high dose of 1.75 [tension].

But, can't go ahead w/Ashton [as per new GP] --  35 V too high, just way too weak now.

GP doesn't agree w/return to K... b/c so much tension.

But getting so desperate. Don't know what to do -- or which would be worse.

So went to ER y/day.... DVT negative, for now....  Forgot to ask about 'compartment syndrome'...

Very worried....very disabled since taking both K+V.

So -- need to bite bullet and make bigger cut to K ? Or, taper V instead ?

Not sure what to do. But don't want to be on both anymore, getting scared  :(

VERY grateful for your reply / insight / experience.

PS: sorry again for hijack  :-[

D40,

LIBERTY

SORRY to hijack, PLS feel free to reply in PM if you prefer...

BUT -- please could you describe this quote reply?

HOW did these 2 'potentiating' make you feel?

RE: " Personally, for me taking both drugs means that the diazepam greatly potentiates the clonazepam"

AND -- "I would not recommend taking these two benzos alongside for a long time"

Please could you explain ?

I fear i'm suffering from some form of this negative effect of both K + V -- since OCT -- 2 gradual swaps, but not proper Ashton.

So, 4 months stuck on these 2 benzos -- mostly holding at same dose -- then, another swap in NOV/DEC due to feeling worse. Holding since.

Did a tiny cut 2% cut of K about 10 days ago -- DVT type sxs in left leg got worse, which started w/Lyrica trial 6 wks ago [was only 4 days @ 25mg, but awful].

Need to act ASAP -- maybe change back to K -- which was so painful at high dose of 1.75 [tension].

But, can't go ahead w/Ashton [as per new GP] --  35 V too high, just way too weak now.

GP doesn't agree w/return to K... b/c so much tension.

But getting so desperate. Don't know what to do -- or which would be worse.

So went to ER y/day.... DVT negative, for now....  Forgot to ask about 'compartment syndrome'...

Very worried....very disabled since taking both K+V.

So -- need to bite bullet and make bigger cut to K ? Or, taper V instead ?

Not sure what to do. But don't want to be on both anymore, getting scared  :(

VERY grateful for your reply / insight / experience.

PS: sorry again for hijack  :-[

It's not  really about 'how I feel', more that these drugs did interact in a way that was not good. Hard to put into words, 'messed up'.

• 3 weeks later...

liberty

thanks for the reply.

'messed up' for me is 24/7 tension in my legs....

thought they were both strong muscle relaxers ?

but they do/did the opposite to my legs.  maybe just tolerant to both.

just bit the bullet + c/o to all V - 37mg - been 7 days + still 24/7 tension esp. in lower legs + too weak.

might have to go back to horrific K.... no idea what dose.

horrible mess.

PS: does anyone know if K/Clon hits Gaba B?

many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't switch from K to V.

I switched back to K and felt fine within about 1-2 hours of my dose.

As others have said, I'm planning on micro tapering off the K now I'm on such a low dose (0.25mg at night)