Study, Jan.2016: "Sleep-promoting medications in children..."

[La...]

The results of this study are rather alarming. It seems that various over-the-counter and prescription medications are given to children for sleep issues, yet those making the recommendations may have had little training in appropriate treatment for such problems. And yes, benzodiazepines and antidepressants are on the list of medications.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26847974

I know. It boggles the mind. With ALL of the literature that has come out on the dangers of these types of medications, they're being given to the most vulnerable in our midst. Really, really sad.  :(  >:(

"Only 20% have received any formal training on pediatric sleep disorders."

What's the percentage of these pediatricians and primary care doctors who even know 1/4 about pills in general? How many days or weeks in medical school did these doctors study pills? I've read that they take only cursory classes, and most of their knowledge is about substance abuse. 

This is a tragedy. This is why World Benzo Day needs to be known and taken seriously. Fortunately the terrible problems associated with AD usage and w/d are now becoming more prevalent. Yet benzos remain under the carpet. Big Pharma is always going to try and shove their pills down the most vulnerable peoples' throats, and unfortunately, doctors have become their accomplices due to their ignorance about medication.

"Respondents in our sample frequently use pharmacotherapy to treat pediatric sleep problems; few have received any training in this area. Our findings indicate the need for evidence-based guidelines and regular physician training in the management of pediatric sleep disorders."

I hope this is taken to heart and will be implemented immediately. I wonder how in the world these children are even able to function in school after being continually drugged. And what if some of the children go through terrible w/d off benzos and ADs? What then? More pills due to doctors' continuing ignorance?

Sorry for going on and on, Lapis, but this information caused anxiety and makes me feel sick to my stomach. But I'm glad you're raising awareness about this. Thank you!  :smitten:

Terry, there's no need to apologize at all! I completely agree with you. You've hit all of the important points regarding why this information is so alarming, and as a Canadian (it's a Canadian study), I feel even more upset about it.

These results are publicly shared, so at the very least, we can learn that such things are happening. I can only hope that the parents of these children do some research as well so that they can make informed decisions. Unfortunately, it's not widely known that there are myriad harms associated with benzos and antidepressants, but it's really the responsibility of the prescribing doctors and pharmacists to ensure that their knowledge is up-to-date.

Personally, I want the info screamed from the rafters so that no one else has to go through hell because they took a medication "as prescribed".

Thanks for bringing this article to our attention Lapis.  It is absolutely criminal what they are doing to children with these drugs :tickedoff:  The world needs to know!!!

Personally, I want the info screamed from the rafters so that no one else has to go through hell because they took a medication "as prescribed".

DITTO, Lapis!!! Very well said.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You're welcome. I think we're all on the same page when it comes to the idea that knowledge is power (the positive connotation of the word, that is). I also think it's important to have discussions on these difficult topics, so I'm glad that people weigh in with their thoughts and opinions. Otherwise, I'd be sitting here alone, yelling at my computer about all of the outrageous study results! Well, I guess I do that sometimes anyways!  ;)

I wonder how in the world these children are even able to function in school after being continually drugged. And what if some of the children go through terrible w/d off benzos and ADs? What then?

When these children begin to manifest strange symptoms as a result of having taken these drugs, the doctors will then diagnose them with some so called psychiatric disorder. Once diagnosed, they will probably carry that diagnoses with them for who knows how long. How sad. 

If it is already happening to adults, being labeled, you can be sure it is happening to children as well.

BlueRose

I'm not sure how in the world these things can be unraveled if it starts so young. There should be a massive effort to AVOID prescribing unnecessary medications to children. Their brains are developing, for goodness sake!