Can we have a little more "positivity" here?

[ly...]

Lynn - I'm sorry you feel this way. Posts are often moved to other areas of the forum in an effort to organize the threads in a way that allows memebers,  that are looking for a certain type of support, to find it easily.

I just happened upon this thread now, as I when I'm feeling rough, I often use the CTF section to distract. I think this is a great thread to show that not everyone suffers horribly in withdrawal/recovery, and I understand your intention. I suspect it was moved because it isn't about "Withdrawal Support".

Pil - the good news is.....even if you're angry, and convinced you will never heal, it doesn't mean you won't. You don't even have to believe it, that's the beauty of it. It natural to be negative and angry about what you're going through... I can certainly relate to the mindset. People are really going to enjoy your success story simply for the fact that you are so convinced you will never heal.

Contiki - I agree, if there is ever a doubt that there could be an underlying problem it's best to have it checked out by a professional. Just because we're in w/d we are not immune to other health problems. If everything checks out fine, than its more than likely withdrawal, IMO.

Books - I see a few people have mentioned Matt Samet's book.....I've read quite a few memoir's in benzo withdrawal and my hands down favourite was "I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can". A famous journalist who was C/T off Valium and ended up in the psychiatric ward and how she rebuilt her life one day at a time. Great read.

Keep on keepin' on  :smitten:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Fi...]

• [Mo...]

• [Ja...]

• [ly...]

Kiddo, I really appreciate what you've written -- especially the part about healing even if you don't believe you will. It's SO important to know that. Thank you.

[ed...]

I find this site very informative and educational. I appreciate all the posts - the positive and the negative, the good and the bad - I learn something from each one. Benzos *are* hard to get off of, and it would be misleading if the only posts were of the form "I tapered with no problems whatsoever and now I'm 100% OK". In fact I wish I *had* read more of the negative posts before my failed first taper; they would've prepared me for how tough it was going to be and I might not have made some of the mistakes I made. Now (during taper #2) I read everything I can. I learn from the experience of others. In return I try to offer help & support to others when I can. BB is a great forum filled with wonderful people.

Love to you all,

Chessplayer

I find this site very informative and educational. I appreciate all the posts - the positive and the negative, the good and the bad - I learn something from each one. Benzos *are* hard to get off of, and it would be misleading if the only posts were of the form "I tapered with no problems whatsoever and now I'm 100% OK". In fact I wish I *had* read more of the negative posts before my failed first taper; they would've prepared me for how tough it was going to be and I might not have made some of the mistakes I made. Now (during taper #2) I read everything I can. I learn from the experience of others. In return I try to offer help & support to others when I can. BB is a great forum filled with wonderful people.

Love to you all,

Chessplayer

Great post chess.....as always. :thumbsup::smitten:

I guess I should post more positive things about myself. Instead, I try to support others. Not everyone will have an extremely difficult time, nor even a difficult time. I for one, had a very smooth taper of 6.5 mg of kpin. And after being off for 51 days, my only problem is dry eyes, which is easily solved by using OTC eye drops. The majority of people do not have a problem, thus no need to post here. This place is for people looking for support and advice who are having trouble. I go to Off Topic a lot just because it's fun and not benzo related. I agree, more people should post on how well they are doing. But some are reluctant because they feel they may sound "better then others here."

Bets

I am one of those that do not post often because I'm not having a bad time after two cuts.  Some anxiety is about it, even after making what I have been told was a big cut before coming here to BB.  I don't want one person to think that I am "bragging".  I come here often because being retired and living in Ohio, there's a whole lot of time in a day to fill.  I read the scary stories but try to keep in mind that everyone is different.  Reading something positive does help me.

I think a lot of people get freaked out by so many horror stories and that this ramps up anxiety and wd sxs.

Well, I did not see that post before mine (http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=150741.0) was moved here. It conforts me a bit about writing it. I'm wondering if a "positive" sub-forum should not be created if everyone does not agree with the need expressed by Lynn and myself.

I decided to hang around (far too often as I have far too much time on my hands!).

I'll check out that thread.  I do think that perhaps the initial "welcome" should state that some do very well with only short-term wd sxs and that no one should expect the worst...just sayin'

The one comment about "if all comments were positive that that would be just as bad"  (paraphrase) is really a strawman as that will never be the case (100% positive).

Anyway - at .375 and only wd sx is tinnitus  (hope I didn't cause perm. damage by doing too rapid a taper).  Not freaked. I'll take it as it comes. :) :) :)

Lynn,

Your "stoning" wasn't nearly as harsh as mine a few weeks ago when I posted a thread with the exact same topic.

So, good for you!!!

The rampant, pervasive negativity is why I don't frequent the boards much anymore.

Hey, are we having a contest on who's been stoned worse?  I'd make a credible entrant! :D :D :D  Extra points if the mods themselves passed around a basket of rocks!

Hey, I've just been thinking--(dangerous, here!)--nobody ever got worse by hoping for the best!  There's no punishment for hoping and then being disappointed.  Nobody up there is keeping score and giving people healing points for being "realistic."

I've written out this story before, but it seems appropriate here.  I had a beloved doctor when I was younger who  had been in a Japanese prisoner of war camp.  He traded his last pack of cigarettes for a medical book somebody had and started studying it.  While in the camp, he applied to Harvard Medical School.  You can bet they were surprised when he actually showed up to start classes!

I was in a very bad way around the age of thirty when he told me that even if my knee didn't get better, I would get better.  "We live on hope," he said.  I took that to heart and ever since then I tend to want to argue against people who talk about false hope and the foolishness of "getting your hopes up."

Get your hopes up, I say.  There is no such thing as hope that's false.  :smitten::thumbsup:

No, liberty, it absolutely didn't.  Hope is not a jinx.  You may have gotten worse after you hoped you'd get better, but it wasn't the hope that made that happen.  There's no more correlation here than there is between somebody wearing a red shirt instead of a blue one, having a wave and then saying, "See!  Red shirts cause waves!"  :D

When we're hopeful, we're more likely to operate as people who expect to get well and engage in behaviors that will lead to that.  It's the people who daily tell themselves that they're doomed who are more likely to  go out and use again or reinstate in desperation and set themselves back.  Their LACK of hope does them in.

Hey, I've just been thinking--(dangerous, here!)--nobody ever got worse by hoping for the best!  There's no punishment for hoping and then being disappointed.  Nobody up there is keeping score and giving people healing points for being "realistic."

I've written out this story before, but it seems appropriate here.  I had a beloved doctor when I was younger who  had been in a Japanese prisoner of war camp.  He traded his last pack of cigarettes for a medical book somebody had and started studying it.  While in the camp, he applied to Harvard Medical School.  You can bet they were surprised when he actually showed up to start classes!

I was in a very bad way around the age of thirty when he told me that even if my knee didn't get better, I would get better.  "We live on hope," he said.  I took that to heart and ever since then I tend to want to argue against people who talk about false hope and the foolishness of "getting your hopes up."

Get your hopes up, I say.  There is no such thing as hope that's false.  :smitten::thumbsup:

Right on FJ  :hug: Hope is a ''Super power'' along with ''Choice'', making the right choice can create miracles, and miracles take time. ''Patience is also another 'Super power'' and all  like all ''Super powers'' need plenty of practice  ;)

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

False hope can be very bad and destructive.

“There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state with another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, Morel, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of life. Live, then, and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget, that until the day God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words, 'Wait and Hope.”

Alexandre Dumas