Stories of hell and healing: How Internet users construct benzodiazepine distres

[re...]

Hi Redxxxx,

I got this in my email inbox this morning too!  How great, I'll have to take the time to read it thoroughly.  I read through her undergraduate thesis, it was very interesting.

Thanks for posting this link!

:smitten:

Ali

Stories of hell and healing: How Internet users construct benzodiazepine distress and withdrawal

By:Alison Fixsen

University of Westminster, Complementary Medicine, Faculty Member

https://www.academia.edu/20055024/Stories_of_hell_and_healing_How_Internet_users_construct_benzodiazepine_distress_and_withdrawal?

Thank you red....this is priceless, sums it up purrfect ! :thumbsup::)

It's an interesting read for all of us here on BB, since the author has used many, many references from this site.  It states that it's a draft version, so I'd be interested in seeing the final version.

By the way, I was trying to figure out what BMC is, i.e. the place to which it was submitted, and I believe this is the one:

https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/

They're very familiar with the process,This is the 1st paper

I’m not Waving, I’m Drowning”: An Autoethnographical Exploration of Biographical Disruption and Reconstruction During Recovery From Prescribed Benzodiazepine use

48 pages protected content @

http://www.academia.edu/11920123/I_m_not_Waving_I_m_Drowning_An_Autoethnographical_Exploration_of_Biographical_Disruption_and_Reconstruction_During_Recovery_From_Prescribed_Benzodiazepine_use

join and login for access

21,448 total members over the 10-11 years the forum has been in operation.  Far fewer active at any one time.

Really? That's incredible! What about "guests"? What are they and how do they figure into that number? When I see how many people are online at a given time, I see many more "guests" than "members".

21,448 total members over the 10-11 years the forum has been in operation.  Far fewer active at any one time.

Really? That's incredible! What about "guests"? What are they and how do they figure into that number? When I see how many people are online at a given time, I see many more "guests" than "members".

Guests don't figure in to the member count.  Since I've been here, there have always been more guests (public readers) than active members.  I think that's an indication of a bigger problem with benzodiazepines than anyone realizes.  Often new members will say they've been 'lurkers' for a long time.  In other words, reading without joining.

Ah, I see. Thank you. I'm sure you're right, Challis. I believe the problem is way bigger than we think, but we'll never actually know. In the meantime, people can read and learn and hopefully get help here, even if they're not interested in joining the conversation.

The thing I like about this paper is that it seems to be aimed at explaining benzo wd to academics, but from a patient perspective. Good stuff.

Guests don't figure in to the member count.  Since I've been here, there have always been more guests (public readers) than active members.  I think that's an indication of a bigger problem with benzodiazepines than anyone realizes.  Often new members will say they've been 'lurkers' for a long time.  In other words, reading without joining.

Very true. I believe the average number of guests on an internet forum to active posters is something like 100 to 1. That means that for every poster there are 100 people reading who are not signed up.

I would suspect that this number might be a little different for BB due to the nature of this illness and because of the restrictions on what can be seen by a guest. These things might spur more guests into becoming members. But even if it was only 50 to 1 that is still a ton of people who never get "counted". Colin might be able to shed some more light on this.....