Ideas on how to control cortisol?

[...]

I find that I'm having little panic attacks throughout the night and in the morning. They seem to be worse when I lie down flat. I don't know why that is?  I do fairly well throughot the day. I believe it is that my cortisol levels are messed up. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks! Yoda

Hi, Yoda.

Unless you've been tested for excess cortisol, there's no real way of knowing that what you are experiencing is do to cortisol.  What you want to do is change how you feel, regarless of the cause, right?  Well there are several good suggestions here for heading off those panics:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=13001.0

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=13416.0

If you keep at it, you can learn to turn down the volumn on the anxiety standing up or laying down.  Good luck.  :thumbsup:

Hi Yoda,

Why do you think that cortisol is causing the problem with anxiety?  I agree with Beeper, that there's no way to know unless it's tested.  And maybe not even then.  The main point is that we can do some things to affect our anxiety and panic attacks. 

When I feel some anxiety or panic coming on, even if I think I have to get something done, like in a busy grocery store -- I immediately STOP doing what I was doing.  I see the feelings as a "sign" that I need to act on, and the sooner the better. 

If I'm just resting at home, then I turn on the TV to distract myself.  Or call someone.  Or go for a walk.  Just SOMETHING different.  Know what I mean? 

adelia

Yoda,

I can tell you that at certain times my s/x seem to be worse when i am laying down.  I don't know why this is, but it has been the case for me during certain periods of my taper and even in these few days post benzo.

Tim

Isn't that weird TC! I know it is the benzo wd, but other than that I have no clue! Unfortunately there r no test for cortisol, but I do know that anytime our body is under a great amount of stress our cortisol levels increase. Black tea and foods like turkey help with controlling cortisol! Hang tough TC! 8)

Hey Yoda,

I'm with you the worst times for me is laying down doing nothing, that's when the anxiety seems to kick in. I've had numerous tests for cortisol,norenepherine levels which never pinpointed anything for me. I think free floating anxiety is the monster we battle. I agree with TC and others one of the keys if diversion, and I mean something that will take your mind off your body. It's terrible that is happens when totally relaxed but knowing that I convince myself that it is my body telling lies and playing tricks on my mind and that it will pass with some help. Don't give in to those sensations as that is all they are.

Sidney

WOW!! I am just about to post that my anxiety is wost when I wake in the morning and often when lying down. I would love to know why this is!!

not that it is a good thing but it is reassuring to know others experience this.

be well!

Steph