taper and titrate klonopin or cross over to valium and then taper?

[kp...]

Hi folks.  I have gotten down to 1.5mg of klonopin from 4mg.  Now I must slow down.  I don't know if I should stay on the klonopin or cross over to valium.  I have ordered a graduated cyliinder and a mortar and pestal so I can start to titrate next week at the soonest.  I am eager to take my next step down but ive got a lot of cog fog right now and not sure if I can keep track of all the titration calculations for the klonopin.  the valium pills are so much lower in dosage that I feel that would be a good idea; but; still; perhaps once i get used to titration it will become easy.  I see my md in two weeks and he is willing to go any route I choose.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Kenny

Hi folks.  I have gotten down to 1.5mg of klonopin from 4mg.  Now I must slow down.  I don't know if I should stay on the klonopin or cross over to valium.  I have ordered a graduated cyliinder and a mortar and pestal so I can start to titrate next week at the soonest.  I am eager to take my next step down but ive got a lot of cog fog right now and not sure if I can keep track of all the titration calculations for the klonopin.  the valium pills are so much lower in dosage that I feel that would be a good idea; but; still; perhaps once i get used to titration it will become easy.  I see my md in two weeks and he is willing to go any route I choose.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

There really is not any math to titration. The schedule that Colin makes up will tell you how much to take out every day. You might have to divide the total daily dose by how many doses you take a day, that's it.

Some people swear by crossing over to Valium but everyone is different and there are quite a few that did not tolerate the Valium very well. It can be very sedating and many have experienced depression and nausea from it.

You just need to keep researching and searching and come to your own conclusions what you think will be best for you.  :thumbsup:

T2 :smitten:

Sincerely

Kenny

Hi, Kenny.  ;D

All I can tell you is what I'd do in your place.  I'd get a titration schedule from Colin and taper 1%/day to start.  That might be fine all the way to the end or I might end up altering the schedule a little at the end depending on how I felt.  I wouldn't cross over to valium now for 4 reasons:

1.  1.5mg klono is about equal to 30 mg valium so switching now and then tapering would drag out the taper  you also have to factor in 3-4 weeks to crossover). 

2.  I've seen many people here have trouble crossing over to valium.  Depression, in particular, seems to be greater on valium for some people. 

3.  Most people do fine dry cutting their benzo either all the way to the end or tirating the last .5mg or so.  Klono is one of the longer-acting benzos so is easier to taper from then xanax or ativan, for instance.  In fact, most docs in the US switch people to klonopin to taper because they are leary of valium.

4.  Everyone here who has tried titration have said it is a snap to do after you do it once or twice.  That's assuming you will have access to a kitchen throughout, of course.  Have you seen the titration video created by one of our members?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RzUvM6M55s

When you decide that you do want to titrate, here's a link to the info Colin will need:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=11093.0

Kenny,

I had never even heard of titration before I found BB.  It looked difficult at first and I thought I would never figure out the math.  It is really alot easier than it sounds.  Beeper is right, after doing it a couple times, I felt like an old pro.  You will too. Whatever route you decide to go, I wish you much success in your taper.

Tim