What do you do to cope with a sudden anxiety and panic?

[co...]

It often comes suddenly.

Normally I had it regularly at night time, or at the weekend when I have nothing to do. In that case, instrument music, yoga, may help and relieve a bit of my anxiety or stress. But a bigger problem comes when it suddenly barging to my mind in a random time and place such as subway, office, or even when I ate dinner with my friend or boss.

This works well for me.  These days I only have the normal anxiety that everyone experiences now and then, but I can do this without the graphic because it's become automatic now:

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii589/challis99/breathe-gif_zpstuxdwviu.gif

Breathe in as it opens.

Breathe out as it closes.

That's a helpful tool Challis.

I got hit with anxiety on Christmas Eve.  My teen aged grandson unexpectedly came over early in the day and getting him occupied and happy, (answering his demands) whilst having the pressure to clean house, wrap some remaining gifts and prepare the Christmas Eve meal all before 5 PM, caused me to become quite anxious and panicky.  The first thing for me was to stop and notice my fear reaction.  I began slow, deliberate breathing.  I talked myself through it, telling myself comforting words like ... "Everything is okay.", "I have plenty of time to take care of what needs doing.", "I can enjoy myself today and relax."  "I can be in the moment.  There is no rush."  I continued the gift wrapping with concentration and deliberation whilst slow breathing.  My grandson and his little girlfriend helped me prepare the meal ... it turned out to be a good day and much to my amazement, everything was ready on time for company including all the prep dishes washed, making clean-up a breeze later on.  I was calm and present for the gift opening and the sharing of the meal.

I have discovered that "time pressure" is one of the big things that triggers anxiety in me.  It has helped me a lot to use awareness and learn what my triggers are, to focus on being in the moment using my breath and to self-sooth with words.  I have become my own loving parent guiding myself thru tense times.

I hope some of these tips might work for you also.  I'm happy to share the coping tools that help me have a better, more enjoyable life.  Withdrawal sure teaches you a lot of useful stuff I wish I knew decades ago.  :)

Chalis

it is a nice indicator, I did try a lot of breathing technique and it reduce my anxiety. I almost forget about that  :thumbsup:

Whoopsie

I am glad you had a great time on your holiday. Yes, occupied by something reduce my anxiety a lot. Usually I am getting uneasy when I had nothing to do and some intrusive thoughts are keep coming. Thank you for sharing with me.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

That's a helpful tool Challis.

I got hit with anxiety on Christmas Eve.  My teen aged grandson unexpectedly came over early in the day and getting him occupied and happy, (answering his demands) whilst having the pressure to clean house, wrap some remaining gifts and prepare the Christmas Eve meal all before 5 PM, caused me to become quite anxious and panicky.  The first thing for me was to stop and notice my fear reaction.  I began slow, deliberate breathing.  I talked myself through it, telling myself comforting words like ... "Everything is okay.", "I have plenty of time to take care of what needs doing.", "I can enjoy myself today and relax."  "I can be in the moment.  There is no rush."  I continued the gift wrapping with concentration and deliberation whilst slow breathing.  My grandson and his little girlfriend helped me prepare the meal ... it turned out to be a good day and much to my amazement, everything was ready on time for company including all the prep dishes washed, making clean-up a breeze later on.  I was calm and present for the gift opening and the sharing of the meal.

I have discovered that "time pressure" is one of the big things that triggers anxiety in me.  It has helped me a lot to use awareness and learn what my triggers are, to focus on being in the moment using my breath and to self-sooth with words.  I have become my own loving parent guiding myself thru tense times.

I hope some of these tips might work for you also.  I'm happy to share the coping tools that help me have a better, more enjoyable life.  Withdrawal sure teaches you a lot of useful stuff I wish I knew decades ago.  :)

Sorry, Whoopsie...just now seeing this.  I agree with you that wd has taught me some lessons on coping with normal anxiety that I never had to learn before.  I've done just what you described as far as talking myself down and monitoring my breathing at the same time.  I rarely have to go that far, but it's nice to have that tool in the toolbox, isn't it.

:smitten:

• 3 weeks later...

I have been anxious about how to reframe my many bad memories and wasted time while on drugs and meds. Today I remembered a series by Joseph Campbell that I watched when it first came out in 1988. I had just gotten off heroin and left a abusive relationship but the world was opening up for me with a decent job and night classes that was leading to a new undergraduate degree.

Then too I had these horrify memories of humiliation, anxiety and past events I wanted to forget. This show helped me put it into another context. They are hard to find online and expensive to buy but I found this website and if you don't mind Spanish sub titles,money really are marvelous. We have all been through trials and want to move to a new realm. I feel so connected to possibilities.

Maybe some of you will too. https://vimeo.com/124692182

I did a jump and am having morning palps, sweats and depression. This helped, since if I put my mind in a more encouraging, almost heroic state, I can stand it.

I found a site www.anxietybc.com that has some helpful information for those of us that suffer with anxiety, panic, etc.  Hope this might help.  I bookmarked it for me.  Trying one day at a time to work through my fears.  Best wishes.  :-*

I found a site www.anxietybc.com that has some helpful information for those of us that suffer with anxiety, panic, etc.  Hope this might help.  I bookmarked it for me.  Trying one day at a time to work through my fears.  Best wishes.  :-*

Thanks for the link, Rosie.  I really appreciate it  :)

I have been anxious about how to reframe my many bad memories and wasted time while on drugs and meds. Today I remembered a series by Joseph Campbell that I watched when it first came out in 1988. I had just gotten off heroin and left a abusive relationship but the world was opening up for me with a decent job and night classes that was leading to a new undergraduate degree.

Then too I had these horrify memories of humiliation, anxiety and past events I wanted to forget. This show helped me put it into another context. They are hard to find online and expensive to buy but I found this website and if you don't mind Spanish sub titles,money really are marvelous. We have all been through trials and want to move to a new realm. I feel so connected to possibilities.

Maybe some of you will too. https://vimeo.com/124692182

I did a jump and am having morning palps, sweats and depression. This helped, since if I put my mind in a more encouraging, almost heroic state, I can stand it.

Dogtag,

Thanks for sharing. I understand that we have a hard time now. But I do believe this is only a withdrawal, and once we off, we are trained to face the real deal.

Yes, I also find out myself veru anxious these day, panic, dizzy, and weak. I got better by a weak, but I need to prepare for the worst. Soon. I just jump recently, so I am afraid the wave will come

Rose, thank you.

I am chilling myself on the website. Can't be more helped.  :thumbsup:

It often comes suddenly.

Normally I had it regularly at night time, or at the weekend when I have nothing to do. In that case, instrument music, yoga, may help and relieve a bit of my anxiety or stress. But a bigger problem comes when it suddenly barging to my mind in a random time and place such as subway, office, or even when I ate dinner with my friend or boss.

I breath slowly, relax my muscles as much as possible, and try to think about something else. Usually about how nice it will be when that situation is over. I stay as silent as possible and avoid speaking and eye contact, and try to look relaxed so people wont think I am having some sort of meltdown. I sometimes play with my phone so people will think I am busy doing something.

My living situation is quite bad--lots of noise, aggravation, chain smokers below, running children above & below, financial instability & an aging alcoholic parent. I teach one class & have a communal studio to work in. Very thankful for that. Somehow I'm hanging on. Have good moments but mostly waves &  uncomfortable physical symptoms. Climbing the walls stuff.

Trying to remember time is what will lessen. Eventually anyway.

I stay as silent as possible and avoid speaking and eye contact, and try to look relaxed so people wont think I am having some sort of meltdown. I sometimes play with my phone so people will think I am busy doing something.

I agree with you to avoid eye contact with anyone at that time. I used to able handle lot of people until suddenly got anxious toward them. I will have a dinner with my professor soon, and the last time I had it, I need to hold my tremor and trembled like crazy in my feet. How you usually relax your muscle if you don't mind telling me? :)

This works well for me.  These days I only have the normal anxiety that everyone experiences now and then, but I can do this without the graphic because it's become automatic now:

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii589/challis99/breathe-gif_zpstuxdwviu.gif

Breathe in as it opens.

Breathe out as it closes.

That's really helpful, where did you get the image please

I have anxiety hit when our house is loaded with people...they either have to put up with my anxiety (which isn't pretty) or I have to separate myself from the crowd. The separation works for all, and often the group doesn't miss me to badly (or not at all).

I just get irritable and feel a bit of panic. It's hard to describe but I really know when it's happening.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Zion.

That's pretty annoying type of anxiety. Did you also feeling depressed and stressed out when you need to prepare the upcoming of social activity? In my case it does also one thing that trigger my panic. I had my family visit me this month, twice, and I worked out so much, stressed, and panic. My last wave also came along with those event. 

contikitiki91: I do feel social anxiety as well. I place myself in social situations which I totally avoided for a year. Now however, when I comment or talk in public, many times I feel my heart racing and I worry so much about saying something out of line I many times don't say what I intended. I must admit it is getting better though.  :thumbsup:

Indeed, that kind of situation makes us to avoid public. That's a great that you are feeling better. Instead of social anxiety, I am more concern with my health anxiety.  I am so anxious now due the dizziness symptom that persists since I jumped which makes me crazy all day long. I am learning how to meditate now. It is not easy though.

I went to an anxiety group therapy a few years ago.  They taught all sorts of coping techniques.  It was free, and the sharing with others was helpful, made you feel you're not alone.  I wasn't a very good student, though and didn't do enough practice.  Now I've forgotten about most of them.  I did learn enough about what to do with panic/anxiety attacks and was able to calm down when that happened.  I suppose the only problem was people with social anxiety would have to be brave to go to such a setting every week.

• 1 month later...
Social anxiety...it sure continues, even after almost eight months since I jumped. Today I installed a computer for a friend and after two hours of one-on-one time with her I was ready to explode. I have not been in that kind of situation very often since I began my withdrawal from Clonazepam. I'm still looking for a way to cope, but that method has so far eluded me. I wish I could be more positive.  >:(

I get up and do some type of chore immediately. If I am not in area where I can do a chore, I just go for a walk.

Hi All.

I have been absent for 2 weeks or more. I am still dealing with a social anxiety, health anxiety, so on, even after 2 months jump. I have a guest for a week and had to deal with them. It is not easy, but I made it so far.

I went to an anxiety group therapy a few years ago.  They taught all sorts of coping techniques.  It was free, and the sharing with others was helpful, made you feel you're not alone.  I wasn't a very good student, though and didn't do enough practice.  Now I've forgotten about most of them.  I did learn enough about what to do with panic/anxiety attacks and was able to calm down when that happened.  I suppose the only problem was people with social anxiety would have to be brave to go to such a setting every week.

Saphire, do you know android application called Headspace ? Just recently I try to use this application for my mindfulness and meditation instruction, they did a quite a nice job.