lnchldy's titration request

[ln...]

im new to this forum and need to get a schule for titration can someone help with this im not sure if im posting this in the right place on the forum thanks for any help

start date :aug 20 2009

dose: 1 mg half in morning and half and night

tablet dose :1 mg and i have about 60 tabs and i can get one more refill of 30

taper rate :1ml aday

cylinder details :100ml with 1ml increments on it

Hi Inchldy,

Which benzo do you take?

Is it that you would like the taper to take as long as possible with tablets you have available?

i tried the direct tapering a it was just not for me i need a slower and smaller doses and that is why i think this is a good thing for me to try

Hi lnchldy,

The problem with titration is that you usually dispose of liquid, and since you have a limited supply, you will be wasting some of your pills.

It might be better to make up your liquid using distilled (or boiled and cooled) water. This should keep longer than using milk. Then go for a simple titration schedule. Assuming you have 78 tablets left, and you take two per day, your supply will last 39 days (at two pills per day). Your average dose will be one pill per day. So, 78 tablets can be made to last 78 days, if you are careful.

Hmmm. On second thoughts, I'll draw up a proper schedule.

Your schedule: http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-lnchldy-2009-08-22.html. be sure to print this off now!

Please add the following code to your signature line:

[url][u]My Titration Schedule[/u][/url].

I've simplified your schedule because of your limited supply of tablets. because you cannot afford to waste benzo by disposing of liquid from the liquid you make up (as per our usual method), instead, make up a fresh batch of liquid as and when you need to.

What I'm suggesting is that you divide your pills in two, so that you are taking four half-pills per day. Now, if you take half-a-pill, crush it, and add it to 100ml of water, you would drink just the amount indicated by the schedule, plus your other three tablets each day. Unlike our usual method, you will KEEP the liquid you do not drink for the next day.

So, on the 23rd Aug., you will make 100ml of liquid using a crushed half-pill. You will drink just 80ml of the 100ml of liquid. You will take an additional three half-tablets. The remaining 20ml will be used on the 24th. Of course, this is not enough liquid, as you should be drinking a total of 80ml (plus three half-pills). So, make up a fresh batch of 100ml, drink an additional 60ml, and keep the remaining 60ml for the 25th. Just follow the schedule, keep what you don't drink, and make up fresh batches as you need them.

When you down to drinking just 20ml per day, you liquid will last up to five days. I don't think it is sensible to keep liquid for longer than this, which is why I devised the schedule this way. When you have completed your taper, you should have some tablets left over - it seemed sensible to give you some wriggle room in case of accidents.

One past member used to swear by adding a little vodka to the liquid to act as a preservative. If you think this sensible, be sure to add only a little, as benzos and alcohol are not a good combination.

Your schedule indicated that you start your taper by taking 80ml (by titrating one pill) and three additional pills per day. This is because to make the schedule work for you, the halved pills are treated as single pills in the schedule. Even though it says '3 pills', it means three halves. ;)

Let me know if you have any questions.

im not sure if i made myself clear i have 60 1mg tabs and i only use one per day i brake it in half so im taking 0.5mgs in morning and them 0.5mgs in the evening it saves me money to do it this way but i think i put it as i was taking 2 mgs a day morning and evening and i was wrong just a little nerve iv never as for help or typed anything on a forum before so if u need to redo my reductions please do so thanks if this is what u thought then im still miss understanding please help thanks

Oh, I thought you took one 0.5mg tablet twice a day. I'll draw up a new schedule later.

How many tablets do you have (including your refill), precisely?

i thought i only had 60 tabs but on count i have 90 with one refill of 90 tabs they r 1 mg tabs and i only take 1 tab per day half in morning and half in evening im just writing this again b/c im sure u read all of stuff so just to remember but my doc said that should do me  until may next visit and if she thinks i need more to finish she will write for more to help me. thanks colin for the help

Hi,

Oh, it seemed before that you were limited to your present prescription plus one refill. Since it appears that you will be able to obtain further refills, I would highly recommend that you obtain the 0.5mg tablets (perhaps your doctor would supply you with 60 0.5 tablets instead of the 30 1mg tablets with your next refill). These smaller dose pills will enable you to make smaller cuts to your dose. Then, if you need to, at a later stage, you can still titrate. However, switching to the 0.5mg pills might be all you need to do to manage your taper.

If you are taking 1mg per day, and are using 0.5mg tablets (or a combination of 1mg and 0.5mg tablets), they could reduce your dose by 0.125mg (a quarter of 0.5mg tablet) about every week or two (or whatever suits you, according to how you react). These 0.125mg cuts will amount to a cut of 12.5%, which many seem to tolerate without too many problems - you will have to try it out for yourself.