Possible daytime withdrawal from Xanax? Newbie question

[jb...]

Hello Group,

Great forum, thank you.

I feel like I'm going crazy. For 3 weeks now I have been taking one 1/4 of .25 mg of Xanax at night due to raging

adrenaline rushes. That little bit has helped me as I have a low tolerance for drugs.

Now though during the day for 4 or 5 hours I have the worst andrenaline rushes ever. These ease by evening but it drives me crazy during the day.

Is it possible withdrawal from the Xanax? Hard to believe its that powerful.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.  :o

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, jbo123.  ;D

I think you could be experiencing interdose withdrawal.  Xanax is powerful but so short-acting, it's out of your system in a matter of hours.  You are at such a low dose and have been on it for such a short time, though, it shouldn't be hard to get off of it.  Of course, you were having adrenaline rushes before you started on xanax which makes me wonder if your doctor has determined what they were originally caused by.  If it's a kind of panic attack, that is something you can gain control over.  :thumbsup:

Hi JBO,

You are very welcome here at Benzo Buddies!!! 

I would wonder too, what the cause of your "adrenaline rushes" might be.  I'm curious...what do they feel like?  Does your heart start racing, and that kind of thing? 

adelia

The night time adrenaline rushes started in April just a few hours early in the morning then to the point of all night with no sleep at all.

I lost my job in April plus I have enlarged Thyroid so I am not sure what is causing what. The Dr. gave Xanax and Trazadone so I could get some sleep but now the days are as bad as the nights with the adrenaline rushes and anxiety. 

I don't know which way to turn at this point.  :-\

Thanks so much...

Jbo,

Does the trazodone help you sleep at all?  I have taken this medication and it usually kicks my butt, but I think its all about finding the right dosage to help you sleep.  How much traz are you taking to try to help you sleep?

Tim

Hello jbo123,

A belated welcome to BenzoBuddies, I have some questions for you as well?  Since you have an enlarged thyroid has your Dr checked your hormone levels?  Are you on medication for your thyroid?  If you are, I know that too much can give you anxiety. 

I would hope that your Dr is trying to figure out what is causing your problems rather than just treating the symptoms. 

In my opinion it would be a good thing to taper from the Xanax since it's not working for you.  When we're put on two different medications at the same time it's difficult to know which one is causing the problem.  And since Xanax has the stronger possibility of dependence it would be good to get off of it as soon as possible.

Pam

Thanks for the input. What a great bunch in this forum!

The Trazodone 75mg makes me drowsy but seems to last 3 hours at the most, then the

night rushes start thus the Xanax to get to sunrise...horrible routine.

Without either though I literally get no sleep at all, just my body buzzing at 100 miles an hour.

The tests show the Thyroid is functioning OK although enlarged. I have a feeling

my adrenals are toast as the last year has been brutal for me with job loss, divorce,

health issues, etc.

I am lost and not knowing which way to turn.

The Dr. wants to add Paxil for the daytime but I'm scared to get any deeper with the prescription stuff.

Meantime I wake up like a Zombie and the job I have now means driving a 100 miles a day.

Geez... :o

So....lost job, new job, divorce and health issues!!!  Have you and your Dr talked about looking at the root cause of your night rushes?  Gees, anyone would have problems with the events you've described. 

I would certainly look into getting some help, maybe Cognitive Behavior Therapy.  It would be great if you could find a way to work out these problems without the aid of drugs.  Especially if you're driving a hundred miles to and from work each day.

I know you feel lost, but we're here to help.  Would you consider tapering off from the Xanax since it doesn't seem to be helping you at this point?  I just hate to see you stay on it any longer than necessary. :(

Just a question, jbo.....have you been on any new medicines lately other than the ones you have mentioned?

Patty  xo

Patty,

No other medicines. Before this severe anxiety all started a few months I was healthy, upbeat and a very good sleeper. I miss "me".

Hi jbo,

Because of my experiences with Klonopin, I no longer trust any medications.  That's why I ask so many questions..... :laugh:  In the future, I intend to be asking myself very detailed questions, if I ever even try to take another med (if every day, more than just the occasional tylenol, etc.). 

I know that drs. are (supposed to be) trained to ask, as the very first question they ask a patient, who comes to them with a troubling symptom:  are you on any medications? 

There's obviously a reason for that.  It's because the drugs we put into our systems often cause so many severe side effects -- in addition to the one or two hopefully good effects.  If we're lucky.   

Just out of curiostiy, what does your drug info sheet -- the one you get from the pharmacy with your meds -- say the possible side effects of trazadone are?   

adelia

Hi jbo,

Because of my experiences with Klonopin, I no longer trust any medications.  That's why I ask so many questions..... :laugh:  In the future, I intend to be asking myself very detailed questions, if I ever even try to take another med (if every day, more than just the occasional tylenol, etc.). 

I know that drs. are (supposed to be) trained to ask, as the very first question they ask a patient, who comes to them with a troubling symptom:  are you on any medications? 

There's obviously a reason for that.  It's because the drugs we put into our systems often cause so many severe side effects -- in addition to the one or two hopefully good effects.  If we're lucky.   

Just out of curiostiy, what does your drug info sheet -- the one you get from the pharmacy with your meds -- say the possible side effects of trazadone are?   

adelia

Thanks Adelia...

The pharmacy sheet listing the side effects of Trazodone shows just about every bad possible side effect imaginable. It's a double edged sword as I said because without taking it I don't sleep at all versus 4 or 5 hours with taking it.

The Drs. send you in circles saying the meds are needed for sleep/depression. Seems like they create a nightmare situation on there own.  :-\

Hi JBO,

Oh boy, lot of possible side effects, eh?  Well, that doesn't surprise me.  And I know what you mean about doctors.  They are there to help us, and many of them do.  But they can also mess things up too, depending on what we "let" them do.  I've read of many people's anger toward their doctors for having them (or letting them) take benzos for so long, etc.  When I first realized the magnitude of the damage benzos can do, I wanted to feel angry too.  But then I remembered....it was me that put the pill in my mouth every night, and drank it down with water.  I did it. 

It's taken me a few years, but I decided I want to be in charge of my own health care.  A "co-pilot" so to speak, with any doctor that I see as my other "co-pilot".  Then if something isn't working or is making me worse, I consider it my resonsibility to find something else to help me.  The dr. is then just one aspect of my search.   

adelia

• 2 months later...

Patty,

No other medicines. Before this severe anxiety all started a few months I was healthy, upbeat and a very good sleeper. I miss "me".

God I know how this feels. I was the same - had been my whole life. Slept easily and well, healthy, very low stress.

On topic..is the Op talking about taking 1/4th of .25mg Xanax daily? That's such an abysmally small dosage - .0625mg? Once a day? I can't imagine that causing any sort of biochemical problems.

[3c...]

Patty,

God I know how this feels. I was the same - had been my whole life. Slept easily and well, healthy, very low stress.

On topic..is the Op talking about taking 1/4th of .25mg Xanax daily? That's such an abysmally small dosage - .0625mg? Once a day? I can't imagine that causing any sort of biochemical problems.

Yes, the OP was talking about that dose amount..may be a small dose and it is...but given the tendency for benzo's to stop working fairly quickly..dose increases are the next step. .0625mg will go up and up as tolerance to the mediction begins.

JB