Medical Marijuana

[Tu...]

When I started tapering the insomnia kicked in hard and I am the type that NEEDS sleep to be able to function at work where I am making critical decisions. I started getting a little marijuana from my younger brother and it provided just enough respite from w/d's that I could fall asleep. I should add that I used marijuana in college and so I was familiar with the effects. I now have a medical marijuana card. I have read good and bad about marijuana. I am sure it does not allow the best quality of sleep as far as natural cycles go- but I feel that any sleep is better than no sleep- and I don't wake feeling hung-over. Perhaps I have set myself up for marijuana dependency in the future, but I feel that if it is helping me get off this klonopin then I can work on quitting that habit once I have achieved my goal of being benzo free.

Anyone else here try this? Any questions/opinions/suggestions appreciated.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [GA...]

• [Bu...]

• [Af...]

• [Ma...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[8d...]
I used cannabis to help me during my withdrawal.  Mostly, I took it at night to help me sleep longer.  Like you, I was familiar with its effects (and could obtain a script).  Yeah, it's another drug, but I considered it a step in the right direction.  After several months, I sort of had to stop the cannabis use (I was traveling overseas).  There was a withdrawal, but it was nothing compared to the benzo withdrawal.  Some insomnia and a little irritability was about all.  That lasted about 10 days.  Then I was able to sleep on my own (for the first time in many years).

I'm not a medical marijuana user, but I have bought recreational weed in Colorado (legally) and used some last night.

Pot has different effects on different people; for me, it seems to relax me physically but stimulates me mentally. So, it is not good for sleep - UNLESS I take the last hit at least three hours before bedtime. Then it actually helps me sleep. I did it last night for the first time since I began tapering off benzos a week ago. I might experience some anxiety during the first twenty minutes or so, but it is fleeting. It's always been like that, way before I started benzos. But it does seem to help me sleep at night, just so I don't do it too close to bedtime.

When I was in the store in Colorado, a guy came in with a medical marijuana card and asked for something to help with insomnia. They mentioned a strain called "Emerald". So they do have specific strains for specific problems. I didn't buy that particular stuff because I didn't have the insomnia problem then.

I'm also taking Melatonin and Magnesium. Those are kind of "iffy", sometimes they seem to help, other times, no. But the pot definitely helped.

[8d...]

MJ also activates my brain for a while, but not three hours - maybe more like 30-45 minutes.  I get real talkative, then slowly quieter.

Find out the composition of Emerald, if you find it again.  It's reported to cause significant 'couch lock' which is good for sleep, but I do not see a breakdown of the analytes anywhere.

MJ also activates my brain for a while, but not three hours - maybe more like 30-45 minutes.  I get real talkative, then slowly quieter.

Find out the composition of Emerald, if you find it again.  It's reported to cause significant 'couch lock' which is good for sleep, but I do not see a breakdown of the analytes anywhere.

I'm not that informed, as regards to analytes. Leafly.com is a great place to look up various strains, I'm sure Emerald is listed there. I was at the Medicine Man, Denver, Co. when I overheard the guy next to me ordering it.

Last night I vaped the LSD strain. Kind of a scary name, eh? It's 50/50 sativa/indica. I did sleep pretty well afterward.

About that three hour figure, that doesn't mean that I'm high for three hours. That just seems to be the minimal time for me to come down far enough to sleep.

Anyway, I won't be doing anything tonight. There is something anti-addictive about pot for me; it's something I don't want to do regularly or daily. Maybe two nights in a row and then I feel like taking a break.

I'm in Georgia and really wish mmj were legal here. Not only that it may help with insomnia, but I know people that have children with epilepsy that it could benefit.

When I started tapering the insomnia kicked in hard and I am the type that NEEDS sleep to be able to function at work where I am making critical decisions. I started getting a little marijuana from my younger brother and it provided just enough respite from w/d's that I could fall asleep. I should add that I used marijuana in college and so I was familiar with the effects. I now have a medical marijuana card. I have read good and bad about marijuana. I am sure it does not allow the best quality of sleep as far as natural cycles go- but I feel that any sleep is better than no sleep- and I don't wake feeling hung-over. Perhaps I have set myself up for marijuana dependency in the future, but I feel that if it is helping me get off this klonopin then I can work on quitting that habit once I have achieved my goal of being benzo free.

Anyone else here try this? Any questions/opinions/suggestions appreciated.

I would choose an indica, not a sativa and go for the highest cbd or cbn count for insomnia.  Be aware that you may not be cognitively as alert the next day as you might have been if you hadn't had the mmj. It's subtle, but watch for it since you are making critical decisions.

I have been using Marijuana to help with sleep during my withdrawal and it helps a lot. I live in California and have a medical license. I buy Indica which mellows you out and helps with sleep. I was a long time user of marijuana and did not have any problems stopping it, so, I am quite familiar with how is effects me.

Marijuana has helped with my Clonazepam withdrawal and I am glad it has been legally available to me. It also helps with my anxiety and puts me in a more positive frame of mind which I definitely need when I feel like crap. It may not be for everyone, but, it works for me.    A hell of a lot better than the poison all the M.D's give out.

[ad...]

Cannabis can be great for sleep or bad for sleep depending upon a few factors.

First of all a strain that is high in CBD will exacerbate insomnia. CBD has many other incredible health benefits, but helping insomnia is not one of them. You will become relaxed but not sleepy from CBD.

It is the psychoactive ingredient THC that will cause sleepiness when it wears off.  After consuming, THC degrades into CBN in the body which then creates a hypnotic sleep inducing effect. THC can last up to 1-3 hours if smoked and up to 10 hours if eaten.

The best MJ for sleep is a Cannabis Indica strain that has been grown "past ripeness" where the THC Trichomes have turned amber and partially degraded into CBN. Smoking cannabis that has this characteristic will induce sleep in 30 minutes. There are other ways to convert THC into CBN with "ripe" cannabis to also achieve sleep inducing qualities.

Smoking cannabis will effect dreaming and rem sleep. Many users say "I Never Dream". But deep non rem sleep is increased and users may wake up groggy and feel like they "slept great".

Cannabis will increase sleep maintenance (less awakenings) especially if ingested as an edible.

As the science of cannabis increasingly becomes more and more understood, there will be incredible hybrid strains developed that will be of tremendous help to insomnia sufferers, some are already here.

Daily Cannabis use PRN, especially high CBD strains can greatly reduce withdrawal symptoms of benzos. There is so much to learn about cannabis. It is far less harmful than benzos and antidepressants and often just as effective if not more so. Spend some time googling it, you may be amazed.

I think that medical Marijuana has a lot of good potential to aid with many complaints, but I would be afraid that it could effect the same receptors that benzos mess up. If this proves to be the case, then it might delay recovery and cause additional problems. Maybe research can answer that question, but it is a question that needs answering.

[8d...]

THC metabolism is pretty well understood.  It does not become CBN in the body.  That reaction requires free oxygen which is a big no-no in the body.  CBN production occurs (very slowly) in the plant or after being extracted.  Heat and light speed up the reaction, but it takes quite a bit of heat/time.  If you want high CBN, then buy products that are high in CBN.  A decent distributor or testing lab can provide those numbers.  Oils or waxes are probably a better source for CBN than flowers since most oils/waxes have seen some heat.

I agree that CBD doesn't do much to induce sleep. 

[ad...]

Aloha!

I lived on the Big Island and Maui for many years, you are so blessed... While Cannabis and Benzos both effect Gaba and dopamine they do so in different ways and using different receptors...

In my opinion just like some people use Valium as a crossover and then taper from other benzos, cannabis can be helpful in transitioning away from benzo's, relieving wd symptoms and even treating some of the underlying reasons that benzo's were taken to begin with, such as anxiety or insomnia.

But you are right much more needs to be understood about the chemical make up of cannabis and it's hundreds of compounds. Some MJ that is high in THC that was harvested too early and has very little cbd can cause major anxiety issues. This would not be good at all for those who were prescribed an anxiolytic benzo for anxiety or other stress related symptoms.

However there are new strains that are super high in the MJ compound CBD which is not psychoactive and very low in thc which is wonderful for relieving anxiety.

Where legal, these high CBD strains (cannatonic is one) of MJ can be easily obtained and very helpful in taking the edge off and mitigating wd effects from benzo cessation. But when buying random bags from the corner dealer, it is very hard to know what chemicals one is ingesting, THC, CBD, CBN? Who knows and they can be as different as cocaine and valium!

Aloha Nui Loa and Mele Kalikimaka!

ParkerAlan

Aloha!

I lived on the Big Island and Maui for many years, you are so blessed... While Cannabis and Benzos both effect Gaba and dopamine they do so in different ways and using different receptors...

In my opinion just like some people use Valium as a crossover and then taper from other benzos, cannabis can be helpful in transitioning away from benzo's, relieving wd symptoms and even treating some of the underlying reasons that benzo's were taken to begin with, such as anxiety or insomnia.

But you are right much more needs to be understood about the chemical make up of cannabis and it's hundreds of compounds. Some MJ that is high in THC that was harvested too early and has very little cbd can cause major anxiety issues. This would not be good at all for those who were prescribed an anxiolytic benzo for anxiety or other stress related symptoms.

However there are new strains that are super high in the MJ compound CBD which is not psychoactive and very low in thc which is wonderful for relieving anxiety.

Where legal, these high CBD strains (cannatonic is one) of MJ can be easily obtained and very helpful in taking the edge off and mitigating wd effects from benzo cessation. But when buying random bags from the corner dealer, it is very hard to know what chemicals one is ingesting, THC, CBD, CBN? Who knows and they can be as different as cocaine and valium!

Aloha Nui Loa and Mele Kalikimaka!

ParkerAlan

Mele Kalikimaka to you too ParkerAlan.

Maybe Marijuana is safe to use during benzo or Ambien withdrawal, but should it be? As tough as it is to do, maybe living through a withdrawal should be done without any external assistance. I think that part of the process is letting your brain return to its natural state all on its own. You don't want to just look at the recovery process, but beyond as well. Relying on chemical assistance to deal with our problems is what led to our current dilemma in the first place. Something to think about.

[8d...]

I'm wondering if any benzo withdrawers have tried using juiced cannabis to help alleviate their symptoms.  Many of the same benefits as smoking/vaping/eating, but no 'high' (since it's not heated). 

Parker - there are even higher CBD strains out there now than Cannatonic.  I've recently tested two strains @ over 18% CBD and less than 1% THC.  It's basically high CBD hemp.  Growers are beginning to ramp up production big time.  It will be interesting to see how this works with patients since many who use high CBD strains also want some THC in the mix.

I like what Parker Alan says about it being the THC itself that causes sleepiness when it wears off. That seems likely, because whether it is indica or sativa dominant, all the weed I've purchased legally in Colorado is high in THC. I never bothered to find out the CBN or CBD content, but I sure know the THC is there!

I just can't do it too often. Sometimes the high is pleasant, sometimes not so pleasant. I did it last night for the first time in about three days. I used an indica, Critical Kush. I had a total of three hits in a total of three hours, using a vaporizer pipe. I made sure I had come down about three hours before bedtime.

I slept quite good! If someone wants to try this who is not used to marijuana, I would be very cautious because too much can cause anxiety; I take it very careful with this stuff. I'll use it again tonight and then lay off for a few days.

Hope everyone has a nice holiday!

[ad...]

I like what Parker Alan says about it being the THC itself that causes sleepiness when it wears off. That seems likely, because whether it is indica or sativa dominant, all the weed I've purchased legally in Colorado is high in THC. I never bothered to find out the CBN or CBD content, but I sure know the THC is there!

I just can't do it too often. Sometimes the high is pleasant, sometimes not so pleasant. I did it last night for the first time in about three days. I used an indica, Critical Kush. I had a total of three hits in a total of three hours, using a vaporizer pipe. I made sure I had come down about three hours before bedtime.

I slept quite good! If someone wants to try this who is not used to marijuana, I would be very cautious because too much can cause anxiety; I take it very careful with this stuff. I'll use it again tonight and then lay off for a few days.

Hope everyone has a nice holiday!

Gaba,

Yep it sounds like you have seen some of the new realities of cannabis in the age of legalization...

It is absolutely necessary to have some CBD in the strain that you choose to ingest. It is what takes away the anxiety from THC alone. Especially when the THC % is above 10%! This is not your Grandfathers weed anymore, watch out!

Since you are in a great state that allows medical usage try to find something that has a high CBN %, 3% or higher would be great! It is the CBN that really induces sleep. Also have them look under the microscope at the trichomes, you do not want them to be clear or even cloudy, they will get you hyper and cause anxiety, get weed that has darker or amber colored trichomes and it will quickly bring on sleep with no jitters.

Ideally if eaten instead of smoked it has a longer acting effect for sleep maintenance but getting the dose right can be tricky. No more than 5mg per edible to start! You don't want to "Over Dowd"!  Learning how to decarboxylate and make reliably dosed edibles is not difficult at all. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

ParkerAlan

• 1 month later...
I have found MM to be helpful with many things, including sleep. It helps also a lot with nausea and GI issues. I have also used it for muscle aches and pain. It relaxes my mind and my body. Everyone is different. From me an indica strain high in CBD, but that has a decent amount of THC is best for sleep. That two work together well. You have to be careful with THC and know your limits. In the past I said I would never use pot again becasue it made me anxious and paranoid. That went on for 8 years. Then during this taper I learned about the benefits and I got a medical marijuana card. I have only used MM bought from a dispensary. I look at the different cannabinoids and the description, get input from the people there etc. I use different strains for different reasons. I wish I had been prescribed MM instead of klonopin for PTSD.

Hi Maya,

Just posted you on the K Klub thread too.  Glad to know someone else there is using MM to help taper off Klonopin.  My doctor told me to give cannabinoids a try for a lot of the same symptoms that you are having.  I just got some Charlotte's Web CBD with 3% or less THC.  It sounds so promising-I really hope it helps.  Good MM has to be a million times better that any Benzo!  Glad folks on Benzo Buddies started this topic :)

[ad...]

Hello Maya,

Glad to hear that you too have benefited from the use of MMJ, It is very promising for the future treatment of many illnesses. You are correct getting a strain with high cbd content will take the edge off of all anxiety especially the anxiety that can be caused from the thc itself.

Something else to look for which is even more medicinal than cbd is cbn. Ask about and try to find a crop that is high in cbn. It is the absolute best for sleep initiation and maintenance. Ask your Budtender to let you see the trichomes in various batches under a 100x scope. When the trichomes are more of an amber color instead of clear it will be high in cbn and have tremendous anxiolytic properties.

The absolute best medicine is a Cannatonic strain that has amber trichomes. maybe 17% cbd - 6% thc and 2-3% cbn... very little high, but super medicinal.

Cheers and continued good healing!

ParkerAlan

[8d...]
CBN is a breakdown product.  It's not actually produced by the plant.  It's usually a sign of older cannabis or cannabis that has seen a lot of sunlight and/or heat.  I agree that it has nice sedative properties, and that you can sometimes find samples with fairly high CBN content.  Oils often contain a fair amount since most oils see heat.  But it will vary from batch to batch, so be sure to ask for the analysis whenever you consider purchasing the stuff.

[91...]

Google Mary's Medicinals CBN patches and capsules,

I really want to try these but, although I live in a State where mmj is now legal, they are not yet sold here. I want to try these !

[ad...]

Google Mary's Medicinals CBN patches and capsules,

I really want to try these but, although I live in a State where mmj is now legal, they are not yet sold here. I want to try these !

Hi CMGmelo,

Yep Mary's makes great products. This company also has some really good products and amazing tinctures. The future is here!

http://altacaliforniabotanicals.com/

Look for CBN for sleep, CBD for anxiety, THC for pain relief... Too much CBD can actually make you relaxed but not sleepy...

ParkerAlan

[91...]

Hi Parker Alan

I've read about the Alta product as well, any idea when it's coming out ?

Of course I'm not in California but am hoping to try one of these products.

I'm curious about CBN.

Thank you

Hi Parker Alan,

I'm trying CBD for anxiety and pain(?).  Starting to have worse insomnia during my taper and am also interested in CBN but, don't know anything about it.  Could you explain a little more what it is and does?  Thank-you!