BENZO FREE DRINKING BEER HARDCORE WHY

[ZO...]

Last few months since off Valium, been off 6 months after 18 months on drug, I have been drinking heavy, I do not crave, but enjoy drinking, 12pack of beer 4-5 times a week.

I do not understand my desire to drink as much as I having been doing the past few months.

I am 47 yrs old male, always drank a bit off and on for 25 yrs, always been able to stop when I want to?

I was on Valium for 18 months per doctor, been off Valium for 6 months, does coming off pills create the desire for alcohol in the brain?

Last few months since off Valium, been off 6 months after 18 months on drug, I have been drinking heavy, I do not crave, but enjoy drinking, 12pack of beer 4-5 times a week.

I do not understand my desire to drink as much as I having been doing the past few months.

I am 47 yrs old male, always drank a bit off and on for 25 yrs, always been able to stop when I want to?

I was on Valium for 18 months per doctor, been off Valium for 6 months, does coming off pills create the desire for alcohol in the brain?

Since benzos and alcohol affect the same brain receptors, it is not unusual to replace benzos with alcohol. You started out drinking a few beers back a couple of months and it seems like it has increased. Most here think it is best to wait a while to start drinking anything as it can also interfere with your healing from benzos. Hope you are able to get this under control.

Hi ZORONO,

I've always been told that alcohol works on the same receptors as benzo's.  I guess you've replaced one drug with another.  That much beer sounds a little excessive, it might be time to take a look at your consumption.  I'm a recovering alcoholic so of course I'm concerned for you.

Pam

I agree with others, who say it seems like the alcohol is replacing the benzo's as it does work on the same receptors.

>:dude...thats called "addiction switchin" i'm a recovering alcoholic who decided to go to klonopin..i rationalized like crazy!i told myself & others "can't get a d.u.i.on klonnys" "they make me a mellow fellow"on and on and on...i was only fooling myself.a drug is a drug is a drug...i know this now,good luck & God Bless You.

I would say DEFINITELY!!!!!

I did the opposite. I quit drinking alcohol and turned to Benzos.

Be careful!!! Our brains are going to find ways to get the chemicals it wants delivered to it. It doesn't care what form it comes in.(interesting book called Beyond the Influence. worth checking out just to read the part about brain chemistry)

Substituting addictions/dependencies is very common.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!!

Steph

I normally drink in moderation, but noticed that as I reduced the drug, my desire for alcohol increased.  Our wise bodies are looking to replace what we have taken away from them.

Now that you've noticed it, can you put alcohol on a reduction schedule?  Work it down gradually over a few weeks?

And of course, you ARE taking care of yourself, correct?  No mixing alcohol with other substances, no drinking and driving, no getting into risky situations, yes?

Warmest regards,

Me  :smitten:

• 2 months later...
I have been off Valium for 10 months---was on Valium for 18 months 12.5mg daily. Did a real slow taper. After a few months off Valium began drinking alcohol 4-5 times weekly. Have stopped drinking a few weeks anxiety is really bad especially in the mornings, I worry all the time about my health think I am dying, negative thoughts, shooting pains in my head, temple, ears---any thoughts of whats going on? What can I do not to be so tripped up?

Hi Zorono,

My question to you is why did you start drinking alcohol?  I am sure you have read how this can set you back.  Now, even if you didn't consume alcohol it is still possible to be going through w/d symptoms.  I am off Xanax for 14 months and just had a 2 week wave. I am in it for the long haul but I refuse to put any type of meds or alcohol in my system.  I am assuming I can have a drink at the 3 year mark and then I am still not sure if it would be a good idea.  Continue to use your coping  mechanisms.

Patty  xo

I worry all the time about my health think I am dying, negative thoughts, shooting pains in my head, temple, ears-

I'd recommend going and having things checked out. If things come back normal, I would chalk it up to benzo withdrawals. You replaced the benzos with the alcohol so you never really gave yourself time to heal from the benzos before substituting with alcohol. It is going to take time to heal, your central nervous system is again very sensitive coming off the alcohol just like it was coming off the benzos. You might want to visit the Anxiety board again to help you re-learn how to cope.  :)

[72...]

I have been off Valium for 10 months---was on Valium for 18 months 12.5mg daily. Did a real slow taper. After a few months off Valium began drinking alcohol 4-5 times weekly. Have stopped drinking a few weeks anxiety is really bad especially in the mornings, I worry all the time about my health think I am dying, negative thoughts, shooting pains in my head, temple, ears---any thoughts of whats going on? What can I do not to be so tripped up?

Zorona- can I ask, why were you initially prescribed Valium? Before I reply, can you answer that briefly?

Just Breathe

[72...]
Zorono, I moved your PM here, okay?

(No subject)

« Sent to: Just Breathe on: Today at 04:32:27 PM » Quote Reply Remove  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was put on Valium for tense muscles, sleeping issues, anxiety.

Okay, you are off Valium :yippee: but you are still having anxious feelings? Anxiety is normal...what coping skills are you using to deal with it? Alcohol does not help anxiety...you may initially feel better b/c it hits the same receptors as benzos but alcohol is a depressant...so you wont feel so good the next day. You may feel depressed.

I am not going to say you are having w/d symptoms...I think you are haviNg some anxiety symptoms. Do you want some tips on helping deal with it? Have you researched anxiety coping techniques (google), are you staying away from caffiene, excercising, practicing diaghragmatic breathing, educating yourself on what anxiety is? You can help yourself...if you would like some more suggestions, just ask.

Just Breathe :smitten:

Dear Zorono:

I am sorry you are feeling bad.  Best to get it checked out medically.  If nothing is found then you are left with withdrawal and pre-existing condition.  One of the things about benzo w/d is that it seems to find our weakest point and work on it.  Some people including myself still have w/d sx for quite a while after we complete our taper.

ntw

• 4 weeks later...
How long does it take for neurotransmitters to repair once off of benzos? I have been off Valium for 10 months after 18 months use, did a slow taper--still feeling strange?  I missed up after 3 months off Valium, started drinking alcohol almost daily for about 6 months. Have stopped drinking, it has been 2 weeks since stopped alcohol use. I feel really strange, dizzy, irritated, anxious, worry a lot, really stressed out? What can I do to feel better? Why are my withdrawal symptoms so strange, I have been off Valium for 10 months, off alcohol for 2 weeks, what going on with me?

Hey ZORNO,

I too have been off of Benzos for about a year now and i feel "strange" also. I had also drank a little bit from time to time. Im pretty sure the drinking slowed down the healing process. Are you feeling better than 10 months ago? I have found that exercizing and eating healthy helps alot in the long run. All i can say is continue to stay off the benzos and the alcohol and you will feel alot better in due time. Your body has to get use to your new healthy lifestyle!

Hope you get better soon!

Hi ZORONO,

I'm so glad you stopped drinking, better give yourself more than a couple of weeks to feel better though.  You've been beating your GABA receptors up pretty bad for the last few months.  You replaced the Valium with alcohol so you've arrested your healing.  I was just looking at the threads you've started talking about how bad the booze was making you feel.  I see you started 2 in April, 1 in July, 1 in August and 1 in October. 

If you stay off of the alcohol, I'm sure your healing will speed up. :thumbsup:

Pam

hi zorono it all takes time and we all heal at differant paces so try not to worry so much you will be fine in no time all of a sudden and xmas brings its own stress be it a lovly time just take it as you are you have done a lot with 2 wsa dont forget ok love to you caral  :thumbsup:

Hi Zorono,

I am also pleased to hear that you've stopped drinking alcohol, it will have played havok with your recovery in my opinion.

I have a few times made the mistake of drinking during nights out etc since finishing my taper, mostly to see if I could tolerate alcohol in a 'normal' way like my friends. Not so! personally, I have found that post-benzo I will have to quit drinking alcohol as I'm incapable of dealing with the effects, especially the hangovers.

10 months may also be fairly early in your healing process. As we know, the length of time healing takes place in is unique to each person and it appears that alcohol may have hampered things for you.

It seems that even people who could enjoy alcohol previously in moderation can have trouble tolerating it even after withdrawal.

Simply put, as Pam has said, just stay off it and your recovery should be back on track,

all the best,

Mr B

Hi Zorono:

I got my first glimerings of normalcy at 8 months off.  Now at 17 months off I feel 80-90% Ok.  Have not drunk any alcohol, too scared.

ntw

Why are the after effects so bad after drinking alcohol, for days after drinking I feel really bad? It never used to be like this before I starting taking Valium, I would feel bad the next couple of days, not 7-10 days. I have been off Valium for 10 months, was on Valium 18 months.

Hi

The reason you feel so bad after alcohol is because alcohol works on the same receptors as benzos do, so by drinking you close down some of those receptors like  benzos do and then when stop and alcohol leaves the blood stream they open up again, giving often quite strong w/d sxs.  Advice here seems to be you shouldnt drink until at least a year off benzos.  Hope that helps

Spring