Tapering and insomnia natural products

[cb...]

Is it ok with a taper to mix in some natural sleep aids like valerian hops and or passionflower or even L Trptopyphan? I am using a product right now with my dose called De Stress by Biotics Research. it is helping me sleep, but it has lactose in it and I know that is bad for the candida and would like to try others like valerian etc./..

I started my taper August 4th at .375 mg of klonopin. I need something to help me sleep because my health is bad candida thyroid and adrenals problems.

Thanks for any help,

Ann

Is it ok with a taper to mix in some natural sleep aids like valerian hops and or passionflower or even L Trptopyphan? I am using a product right now with my dose called De Stress by Biotics Research. it is helping me sleep, but it has lactose in it and I know that is bad for the candida and would like to try others like valerian etc./..

I started my taper August 4th at .375 mg of klonopin. I need something to help me sleep because my health is bad candida thyroid and adrenals problems.

Thanks for any help,

Ann

Hi cbann,

As I mentioned, I'm not that familiar with too many of those supplements. We do, however, recommend starting out only trying one thing at a time as to help in ruling out which one might cause problems if you should have any.

Your best bet while waiting for others to comment is to click on the word "forum" above, then type in the search box some of the supplements you have asked about. There have been numerous discussions on most of those.  :thumbsup:

T2 :smitten:

I swear by 5HTP. It is a cheaper & safer alternative to tryptophan -If I remember correctly it is a precursor to meletonin. Be careful with supplements that effect your serotonin levels if you are on any SSRIs or certain other drugs - certain herbs like skullcaps, Valarian, Kava Kava have Anxiolic properties (wikipedia). Check with your doctor!!! Bu not all doctors will give you any alt medicine advice.

The Food Bible suggests taking Hops, Passion Flower, Skullcaps, 5htp, Californian Poppy and Lime Flower.

I also take Holy Basil, Rainbow Light's Cal-Mag (Magnesium relaxes you, as does Niacin and other B vitamins) and a good Omega complex from Nordic Naturals.

One more thing.

My first (sometimes last) resort is the guided relaxation / hypnosis I have on my ipod. Mine is the hypnotherapist I used to quit smoking a few years ago. (It was one of my better attempts to quit)

Head to toe guided relaxation is amazing. I often fall asleep within the first 5-10 minutes of the 30 minute session! Deep relaxation takes a little practice (your breathing is key!), but it has benefits beyond a good night sleep. It helps anxiety while awake as well. There are a ton on amazon, itunes, etc. may be worth a shot.

Well said tbuns - I have found my iPod to be my saviour at night.  I usually get off to sleep easily but often wake during the night and I have found listening to soothing relaxation messages a great stress reliever.  The total body relaxation is great and I sometimes use it during the day to help with anxiety as well.  It usually gets me off to sleep again and many a morning I have woken to find my iPod still running and the cords wrapped around my neck - wonder I haven't strangled myself.

Another thing re supplements tryptophan is found in bananas and turkey - so a turkey and banana sandwich before bedtime could get you off to sleep - well perhaps one or the other !! :laugh:

I have also heard that some of the so called natural remedies can also be addictive if taken on a regular basis.  Can't imagine them being as bad as benzos but suggest you do some research.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note about B vitamins: for some of us they make our w/d s/x WORSE!. :sick:  Every person is different , so I hope you find what works for you.  So far, I've not found anything that helps, but I think that's the nature of the beast (benzo beast).

Best wishes for you and I hope you find relief soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at my post today regarding my success with l-theanine and inositol.  It might be somehting you want to consider trying.  Believe me, I know how bad lack of sleep is and wish you the best of luck in finding a solution.

John