6 months off K and dating, dating dating!

[Tr...]

It's been 6 month since I jumped off Klonopin and I'm happy to report things have been smooth and wonderful. I previously wrote about the job I got one month after I jumped http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=136023.0 and so far things are going amazing with it. I've got good health insurance now, a bit of cash set aside in savings, and no anxiety about how this months bills are going to get paid. This week I finally got myself a flat screen TV with the extra money I earned from a freelance project. Wow, what a difference from my small, heavy Sony Trinitron! Money can't buy happiness, but it sure helps put fresh food on the table!

And I've been dating... a lot. Back in February I went out on a few dates they ended with me having panic attacks. I was literally gritting my teeth during the dates I was so nervous internally. The Klonopin roller coaster was not good to me. I'd had previous success with online dating but in the beginning of 2015 I was coming off Zoloft and medicating my rising anxiety with sporadic doses of Klonopin. Plus I was broke and trying to date in New York city.

I stopped dating in the spring to concentrate on 2 things: tapering off K and getting a job. I managed to do both so now I'm back in the dating pool. Luckily I haven't had any panic attacks and have really been enjoying myself. Online dating is a challenge but it's been fun meeting interesting women and enjoying their company. I have to be careful, though, because I'm burning a hole in my wallet. It's pretty easy to blow through more than $60 just meeting a woman for drinks in Manhattan. I have a friend who suggests I just do coffee dates but who drinks coffee at 7PM on a weeknight?

I've had plenty of first dates, 3-4 second dates but no third dates over the past 4 months. Very different than two years ago when I'd just gotten divorced. I had a wad of cash from my divorce settlement and, since I had now job, I had plenty of time on my hands. I dated like I'd just gotten out of jail! Now I'm trying to fit romance in with 1/2 time child custody, full time job, and various freelance commitments.

I'm hanging in there and wouldn't be able to do it if I still had the Klonopin monkey on my back. I don't even think about it now; I just take things in stride, get regular exercise, practice mindful meditation and work to keep my anxious thoughts from overtaking my imagination. My relationship with my kids has improved, I'm getting better sleep and overall I'm much happier with my circumstances. So glad I found this website and the supportive community here to help me kick benzos out of my life!

Congratulations ! I hope u continue to get better and better. This is good for me to read . I'm 8 months off today still not well but, it gives me a little hope things could get better one day.

So good to read this, Travis... I remember when we chatted via PM awhile back when you were doing interviews.  Congrats, I'm glad all's going well for you these days.

Challis  :highfive:

Thanks all. Thanks Challis, I remember. It's good to see you continuing to help people. It's difficult coming back here and seeing how coming off benzos is a continuous struggle for so many people.

What you are describing Travis, is normal life. So GOOD!

Benzo wd stole all that was normal from us and it takes so much to climb your way out of that place. So great to see you enjoying your life and also socializing and dating again...that says a lot about your mental sx GONE! :thumbsup:

Thanks Travis!!  I am 4 months free and have been doing really well my self.  I am finally seeing what it feels like to not have man made chemicals altering my mood all the time.  My mood is not always pleasant but it is all mine now and I am able to learn and grow.

I also remember when you were looking for that job and glad things are working out for ya!  Thanks for coming back and sharing your success!

Stay strong!

sharkey

Thanks Travis!!  I am 4 months free and have been doing really well my self.  I am finally seeing what it feels like to not have man made chemicals altering my mood all the time.  My mood is not always pleasant but it is all mine now and I am able to learn and grow.

I also remember when you were looking for that job and glad things are working out for ya!  Thanks for coming back and sharing your success!

Stay strong!

sharkey

Sharkey...you said a mouthful! I was thinking yesterday as Thanksgiving approaches and almost 10 months off these chemicals, how different my brain is now. I actually feel intelligent again!  :thumbsup:

I did not realize under the influence of these at the time, how stupid I had become in my thinking. I spent money I should not have spent, made decisions I should not have made and just generally was living a half-brain, sedated life.  :'(

It feels SO GOOD, even while I'm still healing, to have my brain be chemical free and that wasteland of fog, way behind me! Carry on BB's, carry on!  :thumbsup:

magic