• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [lo...]

• [Te...]

• [be...]

• [Mo...]

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Our article appeared in the Scottish press today.  Please leave a comment about the harm that these drugs do.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/health/two-scots-women-who-suffered-7328665#v9k2yIDukuMELedp.97

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/real-life/record-view-government-must-tackle-7330345#Ay5vmt3MxidSXfKk.97

There was another column with David Healy's comments about the harmful effects of anti-depressants but I can't see it online. 

I also spoke on Radio Scotland this morning just after 10.00 a.m.  The Kaye Adams Show.  Only spoke for a few minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b055jkys/episodes/player

I hope there will be some response from the public to the newspaper article.

Fiona  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS  Have listened to the radio programme again and sent the following comments to the programme researcher.  They have been passed to "the team".

Dear .....

We spoke briefly this morning before I took part in this morning’s programme.  I was pleased that the subject was given some publicity but it was such a short time slot there was little time for discussion.  I was therefore disappointed that once again the subject turned to drug ADDICTION and indeed Louise herself was using that word.  One listener said she had gone to Alcoholics Anonymous which is again for problems of addiction.  The GP on the programme spoke about one patient on a very high dose of drugs who did not want to come off, suggesting once again that the patient is the problem.  He then spoke about Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous as appropriate organisations where patients can get help.  Every time this subject is in the media those of us who have taken drugs AS PRESCRIBED and who suffer terribly as a result are mistakenly portrayed, directly or indirectly, as having become addicted to the drugs when this is quite simply not the case.  I wonder if there could be an opportunity to discuss this subject properly on radio or television so that these misunderstandings can be discussed and clarified.

It is deeply distressing for those of us who have been put in this situation by our GPs to be repeatedly portrayed as ADDICTS. We have never craved the drugs, never needed to increase the dose but have had our lives ruined nevertheless.  So many people are desperately ill simply because they followed their GPs’ instructions. 

I hope you will pass my feedback to Louise or to Kaye Adams. 

Kind regards

We spoke briefly this morning before I took part in this morning’s programme.  I was pleased that the subject was given some publicity but it was such a short time slot there was little time for discussion.  I was therefore disappointed that once again the subject turned to drug ADDICTION and indeed Louise herself was using that word.  One listener said she had gone to Alcoholics Anonymous which is again for problems of addiction.  The GP on the programme spoke about one patient on a very high dose of drugs who did not want to come off, suggesting once again that the patient is the problem.  He then spoke about Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous as appropriate organisations where patients can get help.  Every time this subject is in the media those of us who have taken drugs AS PRESCRIBED and who suffer terribly as a result are mistakenly portrayed, directly or indirectly, as having become addicted to the drugs when this is quite simply not the case.  I wonder if there could be an opportunity to discuss this subject properly on radio or television so that these misunderstandings can be discussed and clarified.

It is deeply distressing for those of us who have been put in this situation by our GPs to be repeatedly portrayed as ADDICTS. We have never craved the drugs, never needed to increase the dose but have had our lives ruined nevertheless.  So many people are desperately ill simply because they followed their GPs’ instructions. 

I hope you will pass my feedback to Louise or to Kaye Adams. 

Kind regards

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fiona, thank you so much!!

I have posted my comments on Daily Mail and also the article on Barry Haslam.

Thank you for all of your continuing fine work, Fiona!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, everyone. 

That was very good of you to post a comment on the article, Terry.  I have to say I was disappointed at the lack of comments but then I looked at other health articles in the Daily Record and they don't have any comments at all!!!  It is interesting because in the broad sheet papers with a middle class readership such an article would get many, many comments.  Or maybe the Scots are too shy!!!  The broad sheets are predominantly English papers.  The article has been shared almost 300 times though which is interesting.

I think my campaign may have come to an end really.  I can't think of anything else I can do right now.

There is another meeting at the British Medical Association later this month so will see what comes out of that.

Thanks for all your support.

Fiona  :smitten:

Maybe your portion of the campaign has ended, but your voice has been added to others and the message has gotten stronger and stronger as each voice has been added. And, who knows, something you have said during your campaign may have already stopped someone from getting on the benzo train!

Gard :smitten:

I agree with Gard, if just one person heard your voice about benzo's it will have made a difference, and sometimes when it looks like the end

is when the tide turns and things change, hold on, you just never know. you have been the best advocate, and it is hard for me to believe it is over.  :thumbsup:  :smitten:

Thanks, gard and begood. 

I will keep you posted of further developments ...  maybe I will think of something else!!!

I am happy that I have raised awareness to some extent.  I know even my family and friends have had their eyes opened about the pharmaceutical industry.

Hugs

It's made the news section of the Mad in America site...preaching to the choir, but I think of it as more ammunition for the fight.

Thanks for all your efforts, Fiona.

Thanks, gard and begood. 

I will keep you posted of further developments ...  maybe I will think of something else!!!

I am happy that I have raised awareness to some extent.  I know even my family and friends have had their eyes opened about the pharmaceutical industry.

Hugs

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you so much, Challis.

The article has been shared over 300 times so that is good and has been emailed to a variety of people.

Fiona  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just came across this guy, Fiona, FYI.  Gary Sidley.  Not sure if you're already aware of him?  Maybe he'd be interested in chatting to you, who knows?

His book:

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Madhouse-Insider-Critique-Psychiatricservices/dp/1906254753

Review

Gary Sidley has written a passionate and gripping critique of mental health services in the UK, informed by his long experience as a psychiatric nurse and then, later, as a clinical psychologist practicing in the NHS. Although he supports his case with clearly reviewed research, it is the accompanying stories of his experiences with vulnerable patients mistreated by the system which are particularly compelling. Sidley vividly describes how power operates within psychiatric teams to the detriment of those who are utterly powerless. Richard Bentall, Professor of Clinical Psychology, University of Liverpool,UK.

About the Author

Gary Sidley worked within NHS mental health services for 33 years in a variety of nursing, psychological and managerial roles. In the 1980s he was employed as a psychiatric nurse a large asylum in Manchester, commencing his clinical psychology training in 1989. Subsequently, he worked as a clinical psychologist in community mental health services, inpatient units and GP practices. Gary opted for early retirement in 2013 and currently is a freelance writer and trainer with an interest in promoting alternatives to bio-medical psychiatry as ways of responding to human suffering.

http://www.talesfromthemadhouse.com/

Clinical psychologist, Gary Sidley, believes that current psychiatric practices are based on pseudo-scientific assumptions that are barely more valid than those of witchcraft and demonic possession that dominated society’s approach to madness in bygone centuries.  :D:o

:smitten:

Sounds interesting Lapis. :thumbsup:

Heavy statement....

Current psychiatric practices are based on pseudo-scientific assumptions that are barely more valid than those of witchcraft and demonic possession .

Thanks, abcd. Not able to read just now.  Maybe in the future.

I have lived through the same era as him, but as a patient.

Heavy statement....

Current psychiatric practices are based on pseudo-scientific assumptions that are barely more valid than those of witchcraft and demonic possession .

Lapis?  Lol, Morr!  :laugh: :laugh:  Yes, quite the statement, isn't it, particularly coming from an "insider".

Thanks, abcd. Not able to read just now.  Maybe in the future.

I have lived through the same era as him, but as a patient.

Sorry, Fiona, hope you feel better soon!  :hug:

Heavy statement....

Lapis?  Lol, Morr!  :laugh: :laugh:  Yes, quite the statement, isn't it, particularly coming from an "insider".

Please forgive abc..... :laugh: I just woke up when I posted ... :idiot::laugh:  :-*

• 5 months later...

Thank you.  Became too ill to continue with it.

Cognition still very poor but feeling better.

I also seem to have lost the desire to campaign.

Yes, I understand.  It's good you did it when you did, when you had the desire and left a record here.  It's not always the right time.  I try to tell myself this, I get obsessed to my own detriment.  Sometimes I feel hopeful that it makes a difference.  Other times it feels futile.  Sometimes I think it's good therapy,  the only way I can scream.  Other times I wonder whether it's sent me into this wave.  I'm taking a break for now. 

It is heartening to see everyone here doing what they can when they can, including sharing news, supporting each other...

Mostly, It's very good to hear you are feeling better that before and I wish you more of this.

Thanks, benzohno.  Yes we just do what we can when we can.

I'm sorry you are in a wave and hope it passes soon.

Fiona  :thumbsup: