Compounding Pharmacies and Liquid Preparations

[br...]

Hello All,

I've watched several YouTube videos about how to do a liquid titration. I originally thought that if I put in a request for a liquid titration taper plan on this forum, somebody here would contact me with support. I must have misunderstood, as I never received a reply.

Quite frankly, the whole process of preparing a liquid titration was SUPER confusing to me. I never was good in the chemistry lab. :) I am working with a Naturopath who put me in touch with a compounding pharmacy. They said, "We'll work with your doctor to prepare a liquid compound" Hahahahahahahahahaha! Um, no, I said. I've NEVER been to a psychiatrist that understands the need for very, very, very slow tapers. So I said, "There isn't a psychiatrist I know of or trust to give you proper instructions about preparing a liquid formulation."

I did explain that I would want to taper at the rate of 10% per month-- but to decrease with tiny daily changes instead of the big jumps. The pharmacist didn't seem to think this would be a problem.

Have any of you ever gone to a compounding pharmacy for assistance with liquid preparations/titrations? If so, how did that work out? Or, if you know who I can contact for information about liquid titration plans, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I literally need someone to hold my hand and walk me through the process. :)

Thanks!

You can just post here and people will help and even walk you through it if needed.  Compounding pharmacies can do the job or you can easily do it yourself.  You seem to have an idea of what you want to do.

Thanks SG7! Honestly, I don't know how to go about doing a liquid taper on my own. I sort of understand from videos I've watched. But I'm not confident about how to even go about it. I guess I'll see what the compounding pharmacy has to say. At some point, even if I go with them, I may want to find out from you all how to do a proper liquid titration. Thanks!

The internet videos I've seen make it more complicated than it is.  But a compounding pharmacy will work as long as they make the liquid to a strength that is right for your cut size.

I just had a liquid made of Librium.

They had to add 5 other things to the compound, 3 of which were not covered. So the copay was $65. These additives are not optional.

When I tried it it was so bitter that I couldn't imagine taking it twice a day.

I am junking it. I can do dry cuts by breaking the Librium capsule.

Hows the liquid taper going Draddog?

I am junking the liquid. It is too bitter. I bought a gram scale and some gelatin caps and will start cutting soon.

I tried to see if anyone else found the taste bitter but I can never get any traction around here. Boo hoo. Wish I'd known before hand.

• 2 months later...
Hey SG71 and Draddog. I really need your help here guys. Long story short updosed to 110 to stabilize then started cutting cut n hold cause lowest I can drop in compound is by .5 mgs Im currently at 102 very symptomatic way worse than before. Its 2016 and I still can't get off this crap I have so many symptoms oeople only get when they jump. The weight loss is relentless no matter how much I eat no Drs know what to do for me. Please any help I really need some! Ty mo2 :'(

I went to a compound pharmacy first, but never took the meds bc i frankly don't trust them to get it right. I make my own. My method is in my signature.  :thumbsup:

Hows the liquid taper going Draddog?

I am junking the liquid. It is too bitter. I bought a gram scale and some gelatin caps and will start cutting soon.

I tried to see if anyone else found the taste bitter but I can never get any traction around here. Boo hoo. Wish I'd known before hand.

So just mix it with fruit juice, soft drink, add it to honey, etc.... ::)

• 4 months later...
Mine adds a sweetener to the compound. But Draddog how many times a day did you dose the librium until you jumped? I'm struggling with .5 drops cut n hold every 2 weeks. SG57?

Mine adds a sweetener to the compound. But Draddog how many times a day did you dose the librium until you jumped? I'm struggling with .5 drops cut n hold every 2 weeks. SG57?

I dosed at 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM, twice daily, until the last 1mg step I took in the PM. Check the sig for the progression. I think I did it pretty slowly.

Drag Dog- did you feel your cuts? How long would you feel them for? How are you post jump?

I'm dry cutting the same way you are.

Did you daily taper or do cut and hold according to your siggy?

I've been using a liquid clonazepam formula from a compounding pharmacy.  It was recommended to me by the psychiatric nurse practitioner who is helping me taper.  It has worked better for me than cutting tablets because, it helps me measure doses more accurately.  I didn't try cutting and using a scale but, that might have worked too.  I was just eyeballing my cuts.

I've been using a liquid clonazepam formula from a compounding pharmacy.  It was recommended to me by the psychiatric nurse practitioner who is helping me taper.  It has worked better for me than cutting tablets because, it helps me measure doses more accurately.  I didn't try cutting and using a scale but, that might have worked too.  I was just eyeballing my cuts.

Liquid is easier and more precise.