Cipro-anxiety-benzo question

[...]

Well, I'm certainly learning a lot reading through this forum !  I saw an old post where a man said he started using benzos after suffering anxiety attacks that he attributed to having taken the antibiotic Cipro.

That connection had never occured to me but, as it happens, my anxiety - for which I was prescribed Ativan - really came on about five days after I finished a two-week course of Cipro.  I am now wondering if Cipro had anything to do with my anxiety level (although there are other issues, which I of course thought were the total cause).

If any of you started using benzos as a result of post-Cipro use I'd be most interested in knowing a few things.  Did your anxiety start while you were still on the Cipro or after you had quit taking it ?  If it came on afterwards, how long after your last Cipro dose ?  In either case, how long did you suffer anxiety before you started taking benzos ?  Lastly, if you have tapered off the benzos did your pre-benzo level of anxiety return ?

I now know that "floxies" are also bad drugs but .... too late now !  Thus I'm trying to find out what others have experienced so as to be prepared for what I might be dealing with.  Any experiences with Cipro leading to anxiety (leading to benzo use) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Hi John,

You can find old posts regarding any subject by using the forum search function. Just click the word "forum" up at the top and then type what you are looking for in the search box located at the upper right hand corner of the forum. Members that I can think of that have been floxed are Recover08, Stoneyco, Dominic and Jsince.

T2 :smitten:

Thanks again Theresa for your time and help.  I did perform a search and the numerous stories realting to Cipro (or others in the class) caused me to wonder about my Cipro exposure.  None of the posts answered my questions directly, though, so I thought I'd create a post listing my specific concerns.

I'm starting to feel that the medical profession treats a lot of folk like guina pigs; just grab some stuff and see what happens.  Two "bad" drugs prescribed in as many months ! 

John

Hi jwm1,

I noticed you'd asked Jsince some questions.  If you'll give it some time, I'm sure he'll log back in and answer you.  What we do is mostly talk to one another.  Someone starts a thread as others have about Cipro and you join in with your comments and questions.  There are more who have experience besides Jsince and Littlebitblond.  Keep searching and questioning, you're on the right track. 

Feel free to start another thread if you'd like, but this one should get the attention you need.  Someone with similar experience will chime in when they see it.

Pam

• 3 weeks later...
Cipro and Levequin and all antibiotics F'N SUCK when your withdrawing.  Trust me on both plus doxyxyline for close to six months and during my entire taper!  nothing but Anxiety and Panic non stop!

Hi, I already had anxiety before I started Cipro,which I had to take for two and a half years due to a lung condition,and I must say my anxiety was wayyyy worse when I was on it.....but I had no choice,then last year,after a very big op...they gave me Cipro again and guess what the panic came back thousand fold.....so yes,I do believe that this antibiotic is very,very bad..........I hope you get better soon and trust you will find the answers you are looking for,p.s.because of the long term use of Cipro I developed r/arthirits as a side effect.....so I'm still feeling it every day....

Any experiences with Cipro leading to anxiety (leading to benzo use) will be greatly appreciated.

John I would have to say yes to this myself. I have taken nothing but Cipro for over 20 years, and lots of it. Can't remember a period of over 4 mos that I did not take it. I was put on xanax for anxiety from a hyperactive thyroid, that was causing bad anxiety. Continued to take it over the years, for recurring bladder infections of which I now know were not true bladder infections. Not knowing until I came to this forum, I have suffered over the years with anxiety, muscle aches and pains, even thought I had fibro. Never mentioned it to a doctor didn't figure it would do any good and would only be more meds to take. Several years go I thought I had a panic attack and called my doctor. I was then put on Celexa and that worked well for many years. Probably covered up some of the anxiety I now think was caused by Cipro. Last year the tendons in my shoulder got really messed up. After two months of pain and pain pills I was given a shot of cortisone which I also had a bad reaction to. Yes at that time I was on Cipro. I moved to the house I am in now and again was put on Cipro for a bladder infection. Did not help only made me worse and landed me in the er where I was told I had no bladder infection. That's when my worse panic anxiety problems hit me and did not stop. Found a doctor that I thought was going to be wonderful as he dealt in more natural medicine. He put me on Klonopin for the anxiety. Told me straight out when I asked him was it additive NO. Well we certainly know better don't we. Looking back now yes I believe everything I have read about Cipro since I heard about the problems it can cause on this board. I am just sick knowing that all these problems could and most likely were caused by this antibiotic. I still have muscle pain, even had a tendon in my ankle give me a lot of problems just recently. I have always been an active person, but I aways paid for it in pain and could never understand why. Think I  know the answer now, and yes I can connect most of my problems to the usage of Cipro. Doctors surely must not know about the problems it can cause because I have been given it like candy for years. I would have never thought an antibiotic could cause these problems. My shoulder will never be completely right again. I do have some permanent nerve damage in it, and it hurts on a daily basis. How sad the thing we find out when it's to late..

M

• 2 months later...

ME too Me too!

:(

In august 09, one week of Cipro 1000mg a day and HOLY xxx!!!!

Never got worse anxiety in my life, I thought I was literally going crazy, insomnia all that good stuff people describe from a bad Cipro reaction.

Its a long and blurry story but the baseline is. after much confusion with doctors, ER trips etc I went on 0.5mg Klonopin on the 12th of Oct, taken in two doses morning and evening.

I cut half of the evening dose off for a week and am still holding at that...

Wondering about water titration...

As one "floxie" said we must heal on our own and I dont want to prolong my healing time with Benzos...I also agree its very confusing to not know which symptoms are actually caused by the Cipro reaction and which by the Klonopin (like Depression etc)

I find myself very weepy most days and cry easily, also some anxiety still(or again) and the sleep got a bit worse after stopping the Seroquel a week ago, which I was given because they diagnosed me Bipolar, until a few days ago I finally made the connection to Cipro...whew...

How confusing and scary all that was and is but at least now I know what I'm dealing with...

All the best to everyone.

Kat

Welcome to the forum.  I'm sorry to hear you got floxed.  I still wonder how much, if any, of my current situation (insomnia, rapid heart rate, palpitations) is due to Cipro but, as you no doubt know, there's no test for Cipro poisoning and many doctors don't recognize that there is such a thing.  So ... all we can do is maintain our health as best we can and hope it eventually goes away.

This is a good place and you've done well to find it.  I saw your other thread and know that you'll get plenty of good advice about how to taper.  Good luck to you.

John