Watch out if you are using milk titration and you have a cat!!!

[Da...]

:) Just a friendly warning/reminder: If you are using milk to mix your medicine in as you taper, and you have a cat---just remember how much cats LOVE milk--and keep a watchful eye!!!  :D

Last night I put my daughter's glass of milk/clonazepam  mixture on her desk while she was working on her homework. She drank some, set it down, and continued working on her homework --and then her cat jumped up and quickly started to lap it up before she could stop her. I think the cat only got a few laps of it, and, as of this morning, the cat seems fine. (Maybe it will even help her overcome her anxiety over our new cat? :laugh:)  However, my daughter, who evidently didn't get enough of her medicine, is really having a hard time getting out of bed this morning--despite really wanting to go to school! (I gave her a little bit more medicine and so I hope that will "kick in " soon and she can get out of bed!)

Those darn cats!!

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks, gardener99. I think the cat is ok, but evidently it didn't help her overcome her anxiety over the new stray we adopted! She hides out under the bed most of the day!

Just in case anyone else has a cat digest one of their benzodiazepines--I just googled it and found a post from a vet stating that clonazepam is actually used as an anticonvulsant in cats--someone had asked because their cat ate a .5mg clonazepam pill!!! (I can't imagine a cat wanting to eat a pill --my cats are so fussy they turn up their little whiskers if their canned food is sitting out for more than a few minutes!) This particular cat was an older cat (and about 11 pounds if I recall) and the vet seemed to think that the .5mg wouldn't be too dangerous (though she did caution to keep an eye on him because everyone reacts to medicine differently).

So I feel a lot better--knowing that my cat couldn't have gotten that much medicine from just  a few laps of the milk mixture!! I just thought I'd post this in case anyone else's cat ever gets into their meds!!! :)