Sound's new titration request

[el...]

Husband had some surgeries and to much stress. Had to be on the ball and never started the titration.  Have all the equipment. Take 2 0.5 Klonopin. One at night and one in morning. Reduced to 1 7/8 by shaving each one. At what number should I start like 95. Colin did make me up a schedul e starting at 86 but believe I was down to 1 3/4. Also said to titrate 1 at a time. So suggested to dry cut 1 in half and take 1/2 of the 0.5  plus half of the  titration mixture in the morning and the other dose of dry cut 1/2 pill and the other half of titration mixture at night to keep the doses even. As I take the medication in the morning and night. Don't know if you still have my history. Fast run down. Started Aug. 04 on Xanax one 0.5 went up to 4 . Changed to klonopin 4. Dry cut to 2 in 2007 and just couldn't get down any further, withdrawl too much, and I had to function. Believe I am in tolerance. Ok to refrigerate the other half with milk? Ok to substitute with water if not going to be home. Can that mixture with water be left out and carried with me? Husband will have knee replacement surgery in Sept. and daughter needs surgery, so I will be in charge of grandchildren. But would like to start this titration. Hoping it wil be smooth enough. What would be a good mi to start at.  Had me reducing 1 mi a day. Can't keep putting myself last. Will await your reply as how to proceed.  Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Sound!

I'm glad you've come back to continue your taper. Good for you. Sorry about all the stressors in your life. When it rains it pours.

Anyway, I can't answer taper questions via pm, it's not allowed. I will post your pm in the titration board, if that's ok with you? YOu can edit it first if you want some of your personal stuff out of it.

After I post it, we will set you up again with a plan. I will send you a link to where I posted it.

Let me know if that is ok!

Linda

Hi Sound,

Colin will make you up a new schedule. He'll take a look tomorrow.

I'm trying to decifer it a bit.

You have 0.5mg klonopin pills

You are taking 0.5mg two times a day (1mg total)

You were reducing by 1 ml a day previously. This is a 10% taper rate.

Is this all correct?

Then we just need a start date and the number of pills you will have available. Will you have enough refills to complete it? 

Yes, it's ok to refrigerate the other half of the milk. And a water mixture can be left out and taken on the road with you.

I hope I answered all your questions! 

I never started titration. Last schedule Colin suggested 1mg a day. I have a plastic 100mg cylinder. Is that OK to use. Aug. 15 a good starting date. Have enough pills. Dr. refills prescription.

The cylinder is marked with lmgs

Hi sound, I think you mean 1ml. (milliliter) a measure of fluid volume.  mg(milligram) is the strength of the medication.

Sounds like you have the right equipment. Colin will have the schedule ready for you before your start date. We'll let you know if we have anymore questions, and please feel free to ask if you have any.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sound,

I'm trying to decipher your present dose and the taper rate you require.

I understand that you use 0.5mg Klonipin tablets, and you take two a day (for a total 1mg per day). Is this correct?

The last schedule I drew up for you, you were tapering at 5% per week - do you require a schedule for a similar rate?

Thanks.

I will leave that up to you. Don't want anything to fast as I would like to be successful. Yes I take 2 pills of Klonopin 0.5mg. One in mornig and one at night. I have cut the pills in half and have chipped about 1/16 off both morning and night. Started with Xanax 8/03 worked up to taking 4 pills a day .05's. Switched to Klonopin 8/5 /05. Same doasage 4 pills at .05 a day two in morning and two at night. Started tapering 12/05 till 12/06. Got down to 2.  Then to 1 1/2  by 5/07 but with drawl was too much . Back up to the 2  and tried several times to cut again and when I get to the 1 1/2 can't seem to get over that hurdle. Six yrs with this messand I believe I am in tolerance as I am having all sorts of withdrawl. Fatigue, muscle aches, backache and shakiness mostly in the morning. Refuse to up the dosage.

Husband goes for knee replacement surgery Sept. 1 which no doubt will cause me some anxiety. Am I better off waiting till Sept.15 to start titration? Tired of putting it off which I have done in the past due to everybody elses problems and  I always want to be able to help. Maybe this titration will be easier and I will be able to manage and feel good that I am doing something for myself. Thank you . Greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work.

Husband goes for knee replacement surgery Sept. 1 which no doubt will cause me some anxiety. Am I better off waiting till Sept.15 to start titration? Tired of putting it off which I have done in the past due to everybody elses problems and  I always want to be able to help. Maybe this titration will be easier and I will be able to manage and feel good that I am doing something for myself. Thank you . Greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work.

Hi, Sound.  ;D

My gut reaction is to get started with the titration as soon as you can.  I don't think there's ever a "good" time to taper off benzos in terms of having months of low stress to count on.  I think you have it right:  titration will be easier on you and you will feel good about confronting your fears and beating the benzos.  You'll want to have some anxiety-management techniques under your belt; I couldn't have gotten through my dry cut taper without controlled breathing, Claire Weekes' lectures and body scan meditation, to name three.  You can find more about all of these and more on the Anxiety and Panic board.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=58.0

And, btw, I know that Colin will want you to pick a taper rate; it isn't something he will do for you.  If you go for the average 1%/day, you can still easily slow down or speed up depending on how you feel.  Of course, if you want a schedule that is built on a slower taper rate, the same thing applies (you can speed up or slow down).  You'll need to give Colin the rate you want to start with, though.

How about a taper rate of 5% over 7 days. I'd rather start out slowly and hope I could speed up. Is that the lowest rate? What is the reason for not taking B vitamins? Maybe that is part of my problem as I take a B50 complex and also panothenic acid 250mg. Thought they were known to have a calming effect? Thank you for your fast replies. Also for being so understanding. Hard functioning some days but I keep going as no one really knows how you feel. I am a 69yr old grandma and want to enjoy my grandchildren. They lost  their other grandmas, so I am the only one. Can not say I don't feel well as they panic, therefore I put on a good show. So have to get off this garbage, it is doing me in.  All your help is greatly appreciated.

How about a taper rate of 5% over 7 days. I'd rather start out slowly and hope I could speed up. Is that the lowest rate? What is the reason for not taking B vitamins? Maybe that is part of my problem as I take a B50 complex and also panothenic acid 250mg. Thought they were known to have a calming effect? Thank you for your fast replies. Also for being so understanding. Hard functioning some days but I keep going as no one really knows how you feel. I am a 69yr old grandma and want to enjoy my grandchildren. They lost  their other grandmas, so I am the only one. Can not say I don't feel well as they panic, therefore I put on a good show. So have to get off this garbage, it is doing me in.  All your help is greatly appreciated.

The rate you have chosen is a little slower than what other people titrate at. You can start there and see if that is slow enough. You can always speed things up or slow things down depending on how things go.  :thumbsup:  As far as the B vitamins, many members have found that they rev up their symptoms. There are still some that took them without any problems so it is different for everyone.

How about a taper rate of 5% over 7 days. I'd rather start out slowly and hope I could speed up.

Hi,

Of course that's fine. It is up to you fast you titrate.

I'll draw up the schedule later today with a start of tomorrow.

Hi Sound,

Sorry for the delay.

Here's your schedule: http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-soundv96-2009-08-17.html.

Please add the following code to your signature line (through your profile):

[url=http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-soundv96-2009-08-17.html][u]My Titration Schedule[/u][/url].

Please titrate one whole pill (0.5mg) using 100ml of liquid. Your present dose is 1 & seven-eighths tablets per day (1.875 tablets). This is why you start off on 86ml from 100ml (plus your other tablet, of course).

So, to start off, you will titrate one whole tablet (but drink just the amount indicated by the schedule); AND, you will split up your second tablet, and take over the day as you wish. You can divide both your liquid and your second tablet to suit your needs.

Let us know if you have any questions. We can change the schedule later if you wish to speed up your taper rate.

Good luck. :)

• 1 month later...
Wasn't able to start titration on time due to much stress. Back to dry tappering. Having muscle aches in my thighs and backache. Just want to know if it could be due to withdrawl. Had it before but went away. This is going on for the past 2 months. I am attributing it to the stress I have been under and the withdrawl. Is my assumption correct. Your answers are always appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Sound,

What is your current dose?  Are you still at .5 mg twice a day?  The symptoms you're describing could be withdrawal related, many of us have certainly had them.  It would be good to know what your current dose is so we can help you figure out what's going on.

Thanks,

Pam

Take 2 (0.5) Klonopin. One in morning and one at night. But cut them in halves. So take 1/2 plus shave the other half. therefore down to 1 7/8  closer to 1 3/4 as I just shaved some more. Do some people have thigh and back aches through the whole withdrawl or do you get a break? When I go to sleep they are not there. Plus it seems when I take them in the morning better for a while then return. Same thing at night. Tylenol doesn't seem to help. Took it the past 2 days. Your answers and help are greatly appreciated. Thank you once again.

I was just looking in the Ashton Manual and found these symptoms, yours could certainly be caused by the benzo.

PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS

Headache

Pain/stiffness - (limbs, back, neck, teeth, jaw)

Tingling, numbness, altered sensation - (limbs, face, trunk)

Weakness ("jelly-legs")

Fatigue, influenza-like symptoms

Muscle twitches, jerks, tics, "electric shocks"

Tremor

Dizziness, light-headedness, poor balance

Blurred/double vision, sore or dry eyes

Tinnitus

Hypersensitivity - (light, sound, touch, taste, smell)

Gastrointestinal symptoms - (nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea,

constipation, pain, distension, difficulty swallowing)

Appetite/weight change

Dry mouth, metallic taste, unusual smell

Flushing/sweating/palpitations

Overbreathing

Urinary difficulties/menstrual difficulties

Skin rashes, itching

Fits (rare)

You've been trying to reduce for awhile now, I'd like you to read about tolerance here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9706.msg125029#msg125029

I understand you're discouraged and in a lot of pain, the only way to find out if they are caused by the benzo is to taper off and see how you feel when you're finished.  I've seen many people heal and lose the symptoms that plagued them when they were in tolerance of the drug and after withdrawal from the drug. 

Keep posting, we can help you through this.  :smitten:

sound jumping in to lend support.  you will need to titrate to control your reductions more accurately.  I believe you indicated you had the grad cylinder and if you have not allready , picking up a syringe from any pharmacy grad in 1ml increments to 10 ml total.

we can help again if you need it in working out reduction schedule and how to mix  and use the titration if not comfortable allready

St.

• 5 months later...
I am withdrawing from Klonopin and would like to know if middle back pain and lower left side muscle tension are withdrawl symptons.  Had 3 falls over they the years that affected the back and groin area. So am wondering if these muscles are more vulnerable during withdrawl. Have others reported the same? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Sound!

Benzo withdrawal can definitely cause muscle pain and stiffness, and having previous injuries would definitely add to this.

I'm sure others will stop by to share their thoughts.

Hope you are well!  

• 3 months later...
I have written before. Never did the titration. Dry tapered from 0.5 which I take in the morning and one at night. Total 1.0mg Klonopin to 1 1/2 pills. Several times but can't seem to get lower. Felt so miserable went to Dr. last week. On benzos for 7 yrs and 70 yrs old. He advised me to take a full pill back. One 0.5  in the morning and one at night.Just made things worse. More shakiness, nausea, muscle aches became jelly legs and more anxiety than I had on the 1 1/2. Leveled out on the 1 1/2 then went boom. Called him today. Said keep taking the 2. After I explained my symptons, changed and said probably overmedicated. I said I was going to cut back to 1 7/8 and finally said ok. Wondering if I can go back to the 1 1/2 being it's been a week of taking the 2. I shave my pills by cutting them in half and shaving one half do the same with the other and try to keep them even. I am sure I am in tolerance and going up isn't the answer. Just trying to stabilize. Should of stayed at the 1 1/2 and suffered the withdrawl which was not good. Suggestion would be helpful as I want to stabilize and maybe titration will be the answer for me after so many failures dry cutting. Whole thing has me hyper today. Want off these pills so bad.  Husband is not too happy. Usually just too fatigues to do much of anything. But do push myself everyday, but getting harder and harder. Your thoughts on the above will be greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work . Than you very much.

I have written before. Never did the titration. Dry tapered from 0.5 which I take in the morning and one at night. Total 1.0mg Klonopin to 1 1/2 pills. Several times but can't seem to get lower. Felt so miserable went to Dr. last week. On benzos for 7 yrs and 70 yrs old. He advised me to take a full pill back. One 0.5  in the morning and one at night.Just made things worse. More shakiness, nausea, muscle aches became jelly legs and more anxiety than I had on the 1 1/2. Leveled out on the 1 1/2 then went boom. Called him today. Said keep taking the 2. After I explained my symptons, changed and said probably overmedicated. I said I was going to cut back to 1 7/8 and finally said ok. Wondering if I can go back to the 1 1/2 being it's been a week of taking the 2. I shave my pills by cutting them in half and shaving one half do the same with the other and try to keep them even. I am sure I am in tolerance and going up isn't the answer. Just trying to stabilize. Should of stayed at the 1 1/2 and suffered the withdrawl which was not good. Suggestion would be helpful as I want to stabilize and maybe titration will be the answer for me after so many failures dry cutting. Whole thing has me hyper today. Want off these pills so bad.  Husband is not too happy. Usually just too fatigues to do much of anything. But do push myself everyday, but getting harder and harder. Your thoughts on the above will be greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work . Than you very much.