Tapering While Working

Greetings:

Thought I stop by to say hello.  I had a great weekend window. This is day #11 of my current taper of 0.25mg; on Saturday I will reduce to 0.125mg for 14 days. 

I know that there are a lot of you on this forum who are tapering and must work.  You sure can't ask your boss if you can put a project on hold while your symptoms subside.  Through numbness and tingling, through tinnitus and heart palpitations, through fatigue and loss of appetite, through anxiety and breathlessness, the work must get done.  I should be able to leap tall buildings...and stop speeding bullets after this!  Thank God I can use this forum as a sounding board.  It is what it is...and this too shall pass.

To all of those who have must work during your benzo journey, I encourage you as I encourage myself, and for those who have down it already, I commend you! 

(My apologies to BBo for accidentally clicking on the "chat" to his lounge; it was unintentional).

Oh, by the way, I am still decorating; I have yet another new look.  I saw that someone else on the post uses the "tiger" picture...I didn't want to impose.

Keeping a job through withdrawal it is incredibly courageous. I hope to be able to find a job... Probably wouldn't get passed the interview but oh well. I just wish I could work my way through school at this point but school is the reason I went out to seek help and received these drugs from hell.

So I highly admire anyone working/schooling through withdrawal.

Retire and Kaz,

I'm working through the taper.  Self-employed, do consulting work so I have a "little" flexibility.  It's a rough go sometimes, BUT since I started the milk titration earlier this month, it's smoother.

I'm also a single mom with two early-teen boys.  Working and parenting during the taper has been a trip! 

Good luck to all those working/schooling/parenting taperers!  We can do it.  :)

Jane

You got it, Retire, the side effects are bad, but we will endure!

If you have trouble with your taper, post and let some moderators know.  They might have some ideas!

:smitten:

Jane

P.S.  I give credit to anyone who gets off benzos, whether they work, go to school, parent. or stay home!

Hi Retire,

Redecorating, I like that!  I change my avatars out all the time now, it's fun. 

I worked all through my withdrawals, I didn't taper but was able to return to work 3 weeks after my CT.  Ugh... it was not fun but it was a good way to take me out of my misery.  You're right, life and work goes on so that's just the way it is. 

I had to take small walks around the building when the walls were closing in.  Sometimes even into a bathroom stall when being around people got too much for me.  It's amazing the coping skill you acquire in this process.

You sound really good retire, keep up the good work.

Pam :smitten:

Hi Retire:

Hey - I'm the person who has the tiger, as you can see, and I chose it for 2 reasons:  First, when I have horribly anxious days, I pace back and forth like a caged tiger, and second, I have the determination like the "tiger in your tank" to get through this.

Re: working through the taper, I'm doing it.  It's a blessing and a curse.  A blessing for me in that through this process I developed a phobia of being by myself and feeling really alone, so work is good.  The curse is that at the same time I feel alone, I also have the jitters and anxiety and depression and horrible exhaustion, so working is very difficult.  Tapering is quite the world of opposites going on in your body.  It's not fun, it actually stinks, but we will certainly endure.  I don't see any other choice for myself.  Perseverance is key.

I wish you success in your taper.  You've found the right place and great people to support you through this.

Jan

Hi Retire:

You keep the faith, too.  There are days it feels and seems so hopeless, but those are the times (and they can be 24/7) that we have to rely on the hope that the others here put out and give to us.  We will make it!  Won't life be great without benzos and once we are healed?  I know what you mean about having the energy to burn once you get home from work.  That will truly be a gift.  I get out of bed now and don't have any energy from ground zero at this point, but I keep going because I don't believe I have any other choice. 

Take care.

Jan

Hi Retire!

Sounds like you're doing okay.  Wish I was as close as you are.  :yippee:

I should be done toward the end of November.

Take care!

Jane

Hi, Retire!  I'm a senior aerospace engineer, and I have a very demanding and stressful job.  I worked through my two decades of addiction (that was the REAL miracle) and through my three months of withdrawal.

If anything, it may actually help, because it forces us to keep a normal schedule.  ;)

Decorating, eh?  Is this a Romaine theme?  :)  I'm all about the leafy greens.

Retire,

Glad you had a window!  Don't you wish you could predict the windows, along with the bad side effects?  

Mornings are generally my most productive time.  I have half a cup of coffee and my Xanax/milk titration dose.  Half a cup of coffee doesn't bother me at this stage.  And I've been taking the Xanax in one daily dose it seems to work for me - at least for now.

Then I'm tired in the afternoon and evening, but am usually able to sleep - some anyway.  I take melatonin every night.  Some nights I take Tylenol or Advil PM.

Tonight I'm having anxiety from work (it would make anyone anxious) and it's turned into compulsive and intrusive thoughts.  Thus insomnia, which is one of my worst side effect, besides fatigue and depression.  And finally I'm feeling tired enough to sleep.  Must have worn myself out thinking so much...

Despite the side effects, we will persevere!  You are so close!

Jane

Thanks for sharing this! Depending on your vocation, I feel benzo withdrawal during job can range from very uncomfortable (minimum) to impossible (maximum). Yes, the coordination is very tough and you are taking on two jobs that only overlap to hurt you. I needed to halt my taper during the year. I am taking advantage this summer being off. Hope things work out.

Retire,

Yes, you are having some major side effects from the taper.  I wish it was easier for you!  BUT, you're almost done.  Keep up the faith and fight the good fight.

From the sounds of it, your windows will become more the norm rather than the exception.  You're doing great!  :)

As for me, I'm doing okay.  Plan to lose some of the work that causes the most anxiety.  Working in that direction. 

Retire, you take care and keep posting!  Your benzo buddies and I will be here to support you. 

Jane  :smitten: