Really scared

[Be...]

I will begin my taper this week of .05 mg of Clonzapam. I have been on it now about 8/9 weeks. I got a pill cutter and I am hoping to go the route of 1/2 for a week then down again for 3-4 weeks. I am wondering if a 1/2 is too much to go down the first week??? I am really worried about the anxiety. I am hoping that my Zoloft and my Vistrail help with any withdrawal or extra anxiety. I am hoping the symptoms don't last too long. In the long run, my stomach will feel a lot better I know.

Bethers

Hi Bethers,

I know you're scared, especially since you've been through this before.  You know what to expect, but in a way that gives you an advantage because you know what to expect, it cuts down of the fear of the unknown.

Glad you got the pill cutter, and you're ready to start.  However, I feel that cutting 1/2 is too fast.  If you have a pill cutter, you can easily cut the pills in quarters, this would be better to try and stave off symptoms. 

This isn't a race, making it to the finish line won't help you feel better quicker.  I stopped taking a huge amount of Clonazapam cold turkey and I suffered for 13 months after that.  The purpose of tapering slowly is to give your body time to adjust to the reduction with as little pain as possible.

Don't do like I did and set yourself up for months of suffering, do it slowly and smartly.

Pam

Your right I should go in quarters. Like 4 quarters. How long on each quarter again? Will that make it a lot easier on my body and less withdrawal?

Bethers

Hi Bethers,

Yes cut them into quarters, and wait at least a week before cutting again.  We recommend cutting every 7 to 14 days to minimize withdrawal symptoms. 

Everyone is different in how they react to benzo reduction, but tapering has been found to reduce symptoms.  Try not to be afraid, this is a process of healing and it takes time.  Since you've been through it before you know it won't kill you.  A lot of our members have this fear, but since you've survived it once, you will again.

Pam :smitten:

Yep that makes sense so you just take the pill and cut it down a quarter each week?

Thanks so much!

Bethers

Yep that makes sense so you just take the pill and cut it down a quarter each week?

Thanks so much!

Bethers

We recommend cutting every 7-14 days depending on how you are feeling. Most wait two weeks between cuts to make sure things have somewhat stabilized.

Ok, since I am starting my tapering hopefully tomorrow. I want to make sure I understand this right. Do I take 1/4 off each week of my .05 or do I have it cut in 4 pieces (meaning 1/4) and take 3 pieces of it starting tomorrow and then go down every 1 - 2 weeks taking 2 then the next taper and then ending it with the last piece? Is that right?

This sounds the way I did it. I went with 1/4ths or 1/8ths, every 2 - 3 weeks. What I found helpful for me was to cut the same day on the week I would cut, ie: I cut every wednesday, every couple weeks, and tried to stay consistent with it. Good luck to you :)

My friend is right below a pharmacist she is visiting me in MN from AZ. She bought a pill cutter and she said because Clonz has dyes and fillers in it it wouldn't cut into 4th's. It made it crumble so my thinking is to call my dr. tomorrow have them have their pharmacy cut them into 4th's for me? Do you think I could do that. They have their own pharmacy at my clinic.

Bethers

p.s. thanks

Hi Bethers,

I copied your PM on this thread because I need some input from people with more experience with cutting Klonopin.  I just don't have it, since I did a cold turkey!

Here's hoping we get some input.

Pam ;)

My friend is right below a pharmacist she is visiting me in MN from AZ. She bought a pill cutter and she said because Clonz has dyes and fillers in it it wouldn't cut into 4th's. It made it crumble so my thinking is to call my dr. tomorrow have them have their pharmacy cut them into 4th's for me? Do you think I could do that. They have their own pharmacy at my clinic.

Bethers

p.s. thanks

Hi Bethers,

I copied your PM on this thread because I need some input from people with more experience with cutting Klonopin.  I just don't have it, since I did a cold turkey!

Here's hoping we get some input.

Pam ;)

As long as you don't have the wafer tablets of klonopin, you should be able to cut them into 1/4s using a pill cutter. I did it with not too much trouble. I've never heard of a pharmacy cutting them for anyone but you can always ask.

Hi Bethers

I've been cutting K pills right through my w/d and now am cutting into eighths.  Not always acurate so I am planning to start titration soon to get a more accurate and stable dose through my final withdrawal.

My K tabs have quarter indents on each tablet and with the pill cutter there is no problem cutting into quarters.  I assume that you have the round orange coloured tabs?  I understand some pharmacies will do the cutting for you at least down to quarters.

Lynn B

Hey Bethers,

I dry cut Klonopin all the way and jumped off at .125mg.  When I'd cut into the smaller pieces and they weren't equal, I'd use the bigger piece and save the smaller one.  Later when I was down to .125mg 3 times a day, I'd fix my pill box with the larger pieces at the beginning of the cut and use the smaller pieces later in the week at the time of day I planned to make the next cut.

I sure hope that made sense.  I also have a link in my signature to the taper schedule I used.  If you do dry cut all the way, you can look at it for more ideas.

Good luck however you do this!  :)

Being scared is natural, you are not alone at all. Following a solid taper is always a great idea. Many have been in your shoes before and YOU just like them will taper off your benzo and live a benzo free life, take care.