List of abbreviations and lingo used on forum

[Mo...]

This list isn't complete yet and still a work in progress . But it would be handy for new members to have all the lingo used here on bb together. I read a post about it and see iit on the boards often too, when new members ask what certain words mean.

Please feel free to add or comment. And I'll modify/ update this original post as/ if comments come in.

I've not included doctor speak, as that usually isn't used by members and there is a separate sticky for that already. But it could be added, too. Anything can be added or changed .

As I said, I'm still working on it so many definitions have not been given yet. But I had to post it in order to save.

A

Acute withdrawal =

A = Ativan/ lorazepam

B

Benzobelly = A variation of lower abdomen symptoms , such as bloating, cramps, tightness and gas

Bp = blood pressure

C

CBT = Cognitive  Behavioral Therapy

CNS = Central Nervous System

c/o  = crossover ( for example, a crossover from a short acting benzodiazepine , such as Xanax or 

Lorazapam, to a longer  acting one, such as Valium)         

Cog fog = Cogntive Fog,  Clouding of consciousness, also known as mental fog or brain fog.

c/t  =  cold turkey ( the abrupt cessation of substance dependence and the resulting unpleasant and

potentially dangerous experience , as opposed to gradually easing the process through

reduction over time )

D

d/c  =discontinue

DP  =depersonalization ( a state in which someone's thoughts and feelings seem unreal or not to

belong to oneself or out which one loses sense of identity )

DR  =derealization ( a feeling that one's surroundings aren't real)

dx    =diagnosis

E

F

G

GI = gastro intestinal

H

Hr  = heart rate

HS = At bedtime

hx  =history

I

Iatrogenic = relating to illness caused by medical examination or treatment

IMO  = In My Opinion

J

Jump = time after the last dose of your benzo. " Jumping off" is being done with your taper .

K

Kindling = refers to the neurological condition which results from repeated withdrawal episodes from   

sedative - hypnotic drugs such as alcohol or benzodiazepines . each withdrawal leads to

More severe withdrawal symptoms Thant he previous withdrawal syndrome

K = Klonopin / clonazepam

L

M

N

Np= Nurse practitioner

O

Oxazepam

P

PCG  = Primary Caregiver

P-doc = Prescribing doctor

PCP  = Primary Care Physician

PM    = Personal message / Private message

PRN  =as needed ( Pro Re Nata/ as necessary )

Q

R

rx  = prescribe

S

script  = prescription

Sticky  = a pinned post at the top of a page

sx  = symptom

T

tx  =treatment

U

V

V= Valium / diazepam

W

Waves = A period of increased symptoms. They can wax and wane

Windows = A period of decreased  symptoms. A window/ opening of normalcy . During a taper,

people can be in a window or a wave.

w/d  =withdrawal

X

x = Xanax / Alprazolam

Y

Z

Z-drugs = a group of non- benzodiazepine drugs with effects similar to benzodiazepines , most of

which names start with the letter Z and are prescribed in the treatment of insomnia

Still to add :

Titration

Mt ( micro taper )

Cut and hold

Tolerance

• 2 years later...

Hi Moodle -

Can you please tell me what ME stands for?  It's used often with CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome).

Thank you,

Angel

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

This list isn't complete yet and still a work in progress . But it would be handy for new members to have all the lingo used here on bb together. I read a post about it and see iit on the boards often too, when new members ask what certain words mean.

Please feel free to add or comment. And I'll modify/ update this original post as/ if comments come in.

I've not included doctor speak, as that usually isn't used by members and there is a separate sticky for that already. But it could be added, too. Anything can be added or changed .

As I said, I'm still working on it so many definitions have not been given yet. But I had to post it in order to save.

A

Acute withdrawal =

A = Ativan/ lorazepam

B

Benzobelly = A variation of lower abdomen symptoms , such as bloating, cramps, tightness and gas

Bp = blood pressure

C

CBT = Cognitive  Behavioral Therapy

CNS = Central Nervous System

c/o  = crossover ( for example, a crossover from a short acting benzodiazepine , such as Xanax or 

Lorazapam, to a longer  acting one, such as Valium)         

Cog fog = Cogntive Fog,  Clouding of consciousness, also known as mental fog or brain fog.

c/t  =  cold turkey ( the abrupt cessation of substance dependence and the resulting unpleasant and

potentially dangerous experience , as opposed to gradually easing the process through

reduction over time )

D

d/c  =discontinue

DP  =depersonalization ( a state in which someone's thoughts and feelings seem unreal or not to

belong to oneself or out which one loses sense of identity )

DR  =derealization ( a feeling that one's surroundings aren't real)

dx    =diagnosis

E

F

G

GI = gastro intestinal

H

Hr  = heart rate

HS = At bedtime

hx  =history

I

Iatrogenic = relating to illness caused by medical examination or treatment

IMO  = In My Opinion

J

Jump = time after the last dose of your benzo. " Jumping off" is being done with your taper .

K

Kindling = refers to the neurological condition which results from repeated withdrawal episodes from   

sedative - hypnotic drugs such as alcohol or benzodiazepines . each withdrawal leads to

More severe withdrawal symptoms Thant he previous withdrawal syndrome

K = Klonopin / clonazepam

L

M

N

Np= Nurse practitioner

O

P

PCG  = Primary Caregiver

P-doc = Prescribing doctor

PCP  = Primary Care Physician

PM    = Personal message / Private message

PRN  =as needed ( Pro Re Nata/ as necessary )

Q

R

rx  = prescribe

S

script  = prescription

Sticky  = a pinned post at the top of a page

sx  = symptom

T

tx  =treatment

U

V

V= Valium / diazepam

W

Waves = A period of increased symptoms. They can wax and wane

Windows = A period of decreased  symptoms. A window/ opening of normalcy . During a taper,

people can be in a window or a wave.

w/d  =withdrawal

X

x = Xanax / Alprazolam

Y

Z

Z-drugs = a group of non- benzodiazepine drugs with effects similar to benzodiazepines , most of

which names start with the letter Z and are prescribed in the treatment of insomnia

Still to add :

Titration

Mt ( micro taper )

Cut and hold

Tolerance

what does: " DLMT " mean?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Moodle -

Can you please tell me what ME stands for?  It's used often with CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome).

Thank you,

Angel

Hi Angel,

It is an abbrevation of myalgic encephalomyelitis and has the same meaning as CFS.

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), also referred to as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), is a medical condition characterized by long-term fatigue and other persistent symptoms that limit a person's ability to carry out ordinary daily activities.[3][9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_fatigue_syndrome

• 3 months later...

Hi Moodle -

Thank you,

Angel

ME stands for myalgic encephalomyelitis, which is a fancy way of saying chronic fatigue syndrome. ME is used commonly in the UK (which stands for United Kingdom) & probably other countries as well. CFS is the acronym of choice in the US (which stands for...............oh never mind).

Isn’t pdoc = psychiatric doctor

Yes, on other websites, pdoc means psychiatric doctor. However, I just noticed that BB spells the term P-doc as opposed to pdoc (in case anyone cares).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have seen the abbreviation: DLMT what does that mean?

(Thanks for all the help you provide for us. I am very grateful.)

Daily Liquid Micro taper  :)

I have seen the abbreviation: DLMT what does that mean?

(Thanks for all the help you provide for us. I am very grateful.)

Daily Liquid Micro taper  :)

Thanks ☺️

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...