Xanax to Librium

[ch...]

I started a the conversion from Xanax to Librium, my dose was 2mg of Xanax to 100mg of Librium, I am taking 75mg of Librium and .25 mg mid day of Xanax.  I feel horrible though not as bad as the Xanax alone, how long until the Librium kicks in, I was totally Non functional on the Xanax alone, rollercoaster anxiety and irratibilty, currently I am 95% less anxious, but exhausted haven't slept well in years, Nausea, head ache, can't concentrate, if this is normal I will suck it up, a time frame would make it more tolerable.  Than you.

I started a the conversion from Xanax to Librium, my dose was 2mg of Xanax to 100mg of Librium, I am taking 75mg of Librium and .25 mg mid day of Xanax.  I feel horrible though not as bad as the Xanax alone, how long until the Librium kicks in, I was totally Non functional on the Xanax alone, rollercoaster anxiety and irratibilty, currently I am 95% less anxious, but exhausted haven't slept well in years, Nausea, head ache, can't concentrate, if this is normal I will suck it up, a time frame would make it more tolerable.  Than you.

chava

I'm guessing anywhere from two to three weeks for the LIBRIUM to build up completely in your system IF it's anything like valium.  I'm just shooting in the dark here, because I crossed from KLONOPIN to VALIUM, but I'm thinking, even though both of the drugs being crossed from are different ones, (Xanax vs Klonopin and Librium vs Valium) that SOME of the general information and guidelines MIGHT be SIMILAR.  (since it's still a SHORT half life crossing to a LONG HALF life benzo)

You might already know all this, but just in case this might help you, here are some cut and pastes (along with the link to the entire article) from an article I read about crossing over from the KLONOPIN to the VALIUM that might give you some needed insight.  It tooke me a long time to cross over and it was difficult, but I'm glad I endured the suffering, and that the interdose withdrawals are not as bad (even for a hard case like me) as they were on the shorter half life.  I would suggest taking your sweet time on the cross over to help insure success and I'm not sure if this info will help you because I don't know how long ago you started your cross, but keep in mind, the full effects of the LIBRIUM won't fully kick in, until you have achieved the desired dose of LIBRIUM and have finished your cross completely.  (ALONG WITH THE ADDITIONAL TIME IT WILL TAKE FOR THE FULL LIBRIUM DOSE TO FINISH BUILDING UP IN YOUR SYSTEM) and I'm sure you are already aware that you might have some Xanax withdrawals for a time AFTER you have completed your cross.  I would encourage you to ENDURE IT as best you can.

Here are the clips from the article and the link to it as well, just in case you want to read it.

"There is no obvious reason why about 10% of the people have problems with diazepam tapering, but it is sometimes due to one or more of the following:

• Incorrect equivalent dose – the values quoted by Ashton, et. al. are those found to be effective in benzodiazepine withdrawal and should in principle compensate for any difference in binding of the benzodiazepines to either the same or different benzodiazepine receptors. There values are not necessarily the same as therapeutically effective doses, but sometimes are.

• Poorly planned or too short a period for the exchange from another benzodiazepine to diazepam. Mild daytime sedation at the end of a 2-3 weeks exchange suggests the equivalent dose is correct.

• Failure to maximize accumulation of diazepam used and its metabolites – it takes about four weeks to achieve 90% accumulation, i.e. four weeks after exchange.

• Tapering too fast. Each person should find the rate suitable to themselves. A good starting guide is 2 ½ % of the initial dose/week. The rate for the last 1/3 of the taper should be reduced to ½ of that for the first 2/3.

I think reading the ENTIRE article MIGHT give you some good insight and figure out what is going on with you.

http://beyondmeds.com/2009/01/16/the-klonopin-valium-crossover-explained/

All the best to you, and I sincerely hope you can ride this out and get things more stable and have a successful cross over, along with success in becoming benzo free !

Take good care.

Kian

Chava -

Just wondering how you are doing on the cross over? How long have you beennon xanax? I am also on 2mg of xanax and about to start a rapid detox with libruim and I'm very nervous. I have weaned down from 3mg to 2mg over the last few weeks and its been really hard. Feeling very out of it, dizzy spells feeling sick to my stomach, crying and feeling really freaking depressed. I told the Dr the xanax is just not for me anymore. Seems like it's just keeping me sick with the constant interdose withdrawls. Anyway, just wanted to see how you are holding up. I'm going to start my detox next Monday as I'm already in withdrawal and feel horrible emotionally, physically and mentally but ready to be done with benzos because they do me more harm than good!

I was on 2mg for ten years and about 6 of them 10mg of Klonopin, weaned about 2 years with no apparent side effects, how am I doing SUCKITH!!!!!!! but I a totally off the Xanax and I am in between angry itrritation and coma, don't know whether to chooses another long actiong benzo but from my research Libruim is the nicest of all, starange term I know.  I am so fatigued but the upside is the raging anxiety and panic is gone, I can't imagine the option is crazy or coma, any input appreciated.  I am also on 50mg of Zoloft after crossing of over from 150mg of Effexor XR about 6 mos. ago :o(

Oh boy, I'm sorry you are in such a mess but it sounds like me. I am now on 50mg of nortryptaline and getting ready to swap out the xanax for the librium. I'm so scared to do this, I cry everyday because the withdrawals are soooo bad. I wake up shaking and just awful. I really hope this works  :'( and I can stop this emotional hell that is xanax!

I have been house bound for 2 mos., I go out for meds is all or dog food, if I take a shower I call it a good day, this is BS, is opiate detox like this?  Not that I have heard........

I hear ya. I have been housebound for the first time in my life. Had panic for 20 years never been this bad. I just now starting slowly going out. Forcing is more like it. I try to drive but the panic consumes me, so I rush home and cry. I'm running out of time to get well. So I PUSH myself everyday to go out at least once for a walk or a small drive but it takes all I have. Please keep in touch. I feel your pain! I will pray for us.

Yeah, the 33% cut (from 3mg to 2mg Xanax) is pretty significant, so your brain is screaming for more Xanax, which manifests in all kinds of symptoms. Any chance your doc can slowly switch you from Xanax to Librium rather than doing a rapid switch? Librium is pretty weak and Xanax is super strong. You were not on Xanax for too long, but 2mg is a big dose. Do you get

any symptoms on 2mg like sweats, shakes, fast heart beat,insomnia, high blood pressure, muscle twiches, jerks, burning, etc. etc? What are your main symptoms? IS the dr planning to detox you at home, or are you going to a facility? This is kind of tricky since you're a short time user, but this is a high dose. I tried going straight from Ativan to Valium and ativan is 1/2 strengh of Xanax and my heart rate was shooting up, as was the blood pressure. Had to slow down But everyone has diff. symptoms. Do not hesitate to go to ER if the symptoms get really bad.

Yes I have some symptoms. Mainly in the morning shakes, burning, muscles aches and flu like symptoms as well as brain fog and very emotional.  A little agitation and some vertigo like symptoms. I'm doing this at home. If it starts to go bad I will take a xanax and call him, tell him I need to go slower. However, I was already in tolerance before I made my cut so the symptoms have been there for a while now. Which is why he suggested doing this. I'm scared yes, but have been sick pretty much this whole time. I'm planning on starting Monday so that I can be sure I can call him if I need to.