Author Topic: Long term benzo user, now free for over a year and doing well!!! You can too!!!  (Read 7952 times)

[Buddie]

Your story is very inspirational.  I can't imagine the suffering you went through, but I hope the one silver lining you can take from it is to enjoy your life even more now.  It's so frustrating how many doctors out there are willing to prescribe benzos but have no clue how dangerous they are or how to properly get people off of them.  Just yesterday my doctor wanted me to try doing the phenobarbital thing when we've already tried that and it didn't work, not to mention it interacts with other medications I take.  He tells me "If someone is on heroin you give them methadone or Suboxone, if someone is on alcohol you give them Valium, so if someone is on Valium you give them phenobarbital to get them clean." Got me  :idiot:  I started liquid tapering after 6 months of benzo use and worry about protracted withdrawal, so hearing that you're doing well after a year and a half makes me feel better.  Thank you for your story and compassion.  We all deserve better than this nightmare of being stuck on benzos.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Thank you very much, [...], and I'm sorry that you were so abused in rehab. It's truly sad that even after decades of people going through such terrible withdrawals, we are still treated with suspicion and contempt a lot of times. I'm still floored that there's little understanding about the process of healing from benzos.

Live a wonderful life, and all the best to you!!!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Hello
Thanks so much for writing your story.
I wish you a very happy life
and thanks for giving so much hope to those of us who are still going through this.
Lib  :thumbsup:

[Buddie]

[...], I'm so sorry that you were so mis-treated in the detox centre but you made it to the other side and you sound full of life and hopeful. Your story gives us long time users much hope to complete the journey. Well done... I wish you good health , happiness and a wonderful life 😊

[Buddie]

I came on to get inspiration...hope...thank you for sharing. I got a little emotional reading your story and I'm so sorry for how you were treated. I'm also 3 months behind you and healing process and I will say the most debilitating symptom I have is dizziness and disequilibrium. Did you have to deal with either though sometimes? I'm so glad that you are fully functional and that life is treating you so well. It brings me great joy to know that people can have normal lives again. Take care and please feel free to stop by and give some of us hope and encouragement that really can use it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 04:42:29 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

Thank you so much for giving us hope.  I am a long time user also, DR. prescribed and am still tapering and am very [...].  I still have so long to go its very scary and depressing but you have given me some much needed boost.  So sorry you went through what you did.  They still keep prescribing this poison also.  God Bless and be well and live a great life now. 

[Buddie]

[...]--thank you for taking the time from your new drug-free life to come back and write such a compelling and inspiring story.  I just hate it that people get treated with such contempt in rehab when they so desperately need kindness and compassion.  It's criminal.

[Buddie]

Awesome!!!!!!  Congrats! This makes me glad I found this site and did the taper alone, just over 2.5 years.  Hats off to you! May you be 100% by now!

[Buddie]

Thank you so much for your encouraging post! I am so glad you are doing well and sorry for what you had to go through.
I was struck as to your description of rehab. How awful it must have been to go off the medication so rapidly - that on top of that you had to endure such abuse is horrifying. You mentioned that you felt that actual addicts shouldn't be treated that way- I completely agree. It sounds like people were not treated as individuals where you were. I used to work with a lot of addicts ( clients, not coworkers  although statistically a few of them too probably  :)) and was hard to see good people struggle through multiple rehab attempts. Easy to understand why if they were treated like that. And the idea that someone who is physically dependent on medication due to long term use would be treated as if addict is terrible. I know that there are some who believe anyone who needs assistance to discontinue long term use of a medication is an addict- I don't agree and think most of us would not have agreed to long  term use of benzos had we known then what we know now. One would think that treatment would be tailored to the patient and it sounds like that was far from what happened in your case. That you continued to go without any medication after such a detox is quite amazing!
I am new to the forum and your post helped me a lot. I recently started a pretty fast taper after 10 yrs of being prescribed 4mg Xanax a day. I knew that it was important never to abruptly stop taking it, but had no idea as to the difficulties involved when tapering off and beyond. I did feel pretty crappy after forgetting to bring my medication on a trip once and occasionally when I forgot to refill rx. I was concerned about being "stuck" on this medication after that and shared concerns with my dr. He told me that he would taper me off very slowly- likely over a period of months- but that it should be done during a time where I was under less stress. He retired recently and my new dr happily started me on taper right away. Unfortunately it has been too rapid and I was ill prepared for my life to be turned upside down.
I know some members have gone through hospitalized detox and I am wondering , especially after reading about your experience, how it would be helpful to someone who was not abusing the medication in comparison to the slow taper plans reccomended here? When I told my new dr that I was having debilitating withdrawl effects and thought we were going too fast, she mentioned that some people have to go through a hospitalized detox. It felt like she was telling me that if I couldn't taper at her pace that I would have to go into detox. I don't have any idea how that would be appropriate for me and am sorry you had to go through it.
It is clear to me that even when I am completely benzo free, there is still a long road ahead of me. It is reassuring to hear how well you are doing. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

[Buddie]

To: [...] [...].
I went through the dizziness and equilibrium while at rehabilitation. No one understood that I couldn't see right, and felt like I was moving though I was standing still.
I had to train myself, especially when the hallucinations started in with everything. I had to put my hand on a wall, even if I couldn't see the wall all the way,  because I knew the wall wasn't wobbling or moving, so I just followed it with my hand. When you can't trust much of anything, trust Science. It's the best advice I have. Be prepared for things to not make sense and have to rely on what you can remember.
When we had to walk outside was when it got tricky for me. It was in the dead of winter on top of a mountain, and it was icy and snowy.
I fell multiple times, and many of the girls there were inner city hood chicks and couldn't be bothered to help me. Honestly, I was half afraid to ask anyone for help. Some of the people that were there were coming from prison.