Xanax is way harder to get off of than alcohol

[be...]

I have been trying to quit drinking for quite a while. This last bout, when I was in alcohol withdrawal, I decided I would use the xanax a doctor at an urgent care clinic prescribed, that I had not yet used, to help me get off. I had no idea of the dangers.

It started with just crushing two .25 mg tablets into soda water and juice in the evenings, and then, at some point, it increased. I can't really remember how or why. I am considered to be on a pretty low dose, but am experiencing awful side effects in trying to get off that never seem to end. I assume it is partially because of going through alcohol withdrawal at the same time, as I started drinking in the evenings again when I realized how potentially dangerous it can be to get off of xanax. I was really committed to quitting xanax, because it was making me an angry person and, unlike when I drank, did not help me be more productive the next day at work, but less.

I have been through the gamut trying to sort this out and it is confusing and lonely because people don't seem to believe me when it comes to the risk associated with not tapering properly or quitting cold turkey.

My physiology was already messed up and I worry I have permanently changed my already messed up system.

I just need to know others understand. I can't believe how long of a road recovery could be. I feel like just getting up and doing anything at all in a day is a win for me right now, but it seems like that isn't enough for those around me. The list of symptoms I am experiencing feels like an alien taking over my body and is impossible to explain to others.

I have taken up to 1.25 mg a day, I think more like anywhere from .5 to .75 when I was drinking in the evenings. Upped it again when I stopped drinking for just a couple days to more like 1 mg so I could taper from there, considering I wasn't drinking.

I am on .50 a day and am supposed to stop tomorrow, per a doctor and the ER staff. It seems way to fast for my body. There were a couple days when I may have only had .5 mg a couple weeks a go, but I was still drinking. I am not now.

I think I have been on it for 2-3 months but am not positive.

Thanks guys. I bristled at joining but think I need it.

Hi benzofreeIwanttobe :hug: Welcome to benzobuddies, 

You have been though a lot, I know how hard it is to quit alcohol.. well done you.  It’s a dangerous mix with these drugs, I am so pleased you quit the drink.  I agree with you, I  think it’s too fast a taper, take it slowly.  Are you familiar with the Ashton Manual, It might be worth introducing the Ashton to your doctor

I will put a link here for you: “Professor Ashtons Manual” It is an authoritative resource on benzodiazepines and how to withdraw. If you have been on benzo's more than a few weeks,  the general rule of thumb is to reduce between 5/10% every 10/14 days

We have a really great bunch of people here, our members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, and will share their experiences with you. Your going to be okay, it will get better.

For tapering advice General Taper Plans

For support with any symptoms you may have post here: Withdrawal Support

If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice this link will show you how to”Create a signature”

Welcome Aboard

Magrita